Author Topic: How do I know if my boys are happy?  (Read 5185 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: How do I know if my boys are happy?
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2006, 23:31:40 PM »
Franta likes to wave his tail and its a bit annoying when he is in bed................under the duvet in my bed with me! :rofl:

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2006, 13:16:29 PM »
Tan that is brilliant !!

You couldn't email it to me could you ?

Yes of course on way now
xx

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2006, 12:29:15 PM »
I agree when you have a cat for years you'll gradually get to know tail and face and other signs of happiness, our Penny always did a little quiver of her tail when I spoke to her in silly voices, thumping of Squeaky's when untangling knots etc.  Still unsure of Schui's ? tail anyone else's cat do question mark tail and what on earth does that mean - he seems to do it when most cats tails are in upright confident mode.

Absolutely it is everything in context. When Fred wanders through the room, tail down normally I wait until he reaches the door then call his name, tail instantly goes up into high question mark and he looks at me as if to say what? He also whacks his tail from side to side a lot especially pre or post playing and most of the time the little end flicks from side to side even when he is completely relaxed.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2006, 12:05:52 PM »
I agree when you have a cat for years you'll gradually get to know tail and face and other signs of happiness, our Penny always did a little quiver of her tail when I spoke to her in silly voices, thumping of Squeaky's when untangling knots etc.  Still unsure of Schui's ? tail anyone else's cat do question mark tail and what on earth does that mean - he seems to do it when most cats tails are in upright confident mode.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 12:09:28 PM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2006, 11:32:41 AM »
cats may not necessarily be happy even though they purr.
That is something I seem to have known forever too.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline IainMcT

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2006, 11:30:59 AM »

Well, as much as I would like to believe they are very happy, after I read an online article from CP that cats may not necessarily be happy even though they purr.

I've tried to search a lot on the internet and I am still quite unsure. It suggests that cats may purr when they are stressed or in pain as well. As some of you remember, Charlie has had constipation.

Charlie can purr 6 hours a day..... Baxter can tread or paddle on my stomach for hours as well. They are both very vocal. They like my attention. They don't play any toy except one... I think they are happy as I could certainly tell when Charlie seemed very uncomfortable when he was badly constipated...

Is there any other way I can tell if they are doing okay and happy?

Sorry, I was very much a dog person and it was easier to tell if a dog is happy or not :-)

The only sure way to tell Andrew is to make them extremely unhappy and see how they behave then. Now you know what they are like unhappy. Then make them very happy and see how they behave.

For example, hog tie and dangle them in a cold bath. That makes them unhappy.
Buy some good quality, sirloin steak, cook until medium rare, remove fat, cut into small peices and feed to cats. That will make them happy.

I'm not a cat psychologist but I stand by my theory.

Offline isabel

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2006, 02:31:16 AM »
lol Sam!
Give blood! They'll give you biscuits...

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 22:34:51 PM »
They not only sound incredably happy they also sound like they are being spoilt rotten!

BTW ... Zephyr's most favourite place in our house is sat on the work top "loving" the edge of the fridge door.  He thinks if he rubs up against it enough it will miraculous open! LOL
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Andrew

• Adult Cat
  • Ginger
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 22:23:58 PM »
Andrew that fact that you are checking on your boys happiness by posting on a forum means you obviously love and care for them so I think it's probably safe to say they will be happy.  They are getting your attention, food, warmth, and toys to play with .... when Charlie was poorly you realised he wasn't well and got him to the vet .... what more could a kitty ask for. 

All the best and just keep doing what you are doing :)

Sam, thanks a lot... You can read my mind... I am just wondering and a bit anxious to make sure they are happy.

I completely forgot that other signs also indicate that they are happy... Charlie is always so relaxed when sitting on my lap. He is so relaxed that he lifts all of his four legs and has complete trust on me. It's amazing that from the pictures, his tail position is normally confident.

I think the fact that they are trying to open the fridge and look for food means they are happy too!

It's just a bit sad that Charlie had an accident before I had him and his hip is always low. He also doesn't seem to walk or run very well. It just hurts me.

My stomach is full of marks because Baxter likes pommelling and I am due to cut their nails again! :-)

They are so different from the previous cat we had. (okay, I didn't pay any attention on thomas..) They like using their paws. Charlie pokes me at night for a cuddle! :-)

Thanks everyone for the reassurance....

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 21:14:38 PM »
If you have ever been unfortunate enough to see an injured cat you will see that they purr but are not normally too friendly only a few months back i tried to approach a cat that was injured and though i am fine as it was purring away only to a rather nasty nip ..

luckily the cat turned out to be okay in the end but dont be fooled into thinking that a purring kitty is a happy one...

I think that you can normally tell by the way they react to you dont worry about it too much i am sure you would know if somerthing was up !

:yes:
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 21:03:26 PM »
Andrew that fact that you are checking on your boys happiness by posting on a forum means you obviously love and care for them so I think it's probably safe to say they will be happy.  They are getting your attention, food, warmth, and toys to play with .... when Charlie was poorly you realised he wasn't well and got him to the vet .... what more could a kitty ask for. 

All the best and just keep doing what you are doing :)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline isabel

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2006, 20:30:49 PM »
As someone else who isn't very used to cats (always had dogs and rabbits), bunnies grind their teeth when they are happy and enjoying getting petted but also when they are in great pain. I guess it's about interpreting things in context.

I swear my cat has really obvious facial expressions. Much easier than looking at her tail!
Give blood! They'll give you biscuits...

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 20:16:15 PM »
Tan that is brilliant !!

You couldn't email it to me could you ?
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 16:00:50 PM »
lol...in scotland we'd call that "ill tricket" LOL

Offline Lyn-Su

• Senior Cat
  • Fearne
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 15:58:04 PM »
I've ntoiced that fearne's tail swishes from side to side when she's playing and I couldn't understand why her tail said she was angry, but she seemed to be enjoying herself.
Now I realise it's a sign she's going to attack the ball or string in play  :doh:

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 15:13:31 PM »
Of course tails lashing from side to side doesn't necessarily mean anything bad, my boy has always has a swishy tail and I don't think he really wants to kill me (at least not all the time)  :scared:

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 14:51:10 PM »
last

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 14:50:48 PM »
4th

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 14:50:14 PM »
3rd

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 14:49:47 PM »
2nd lot

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 14:49:01 PM »
Ok here goes two at a time

Offline Andrew

• Adult Cat
  • Ginger
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 14:45:33 PM »

I'll check her website again to see if it is there. I learn so much from her website, including care, water supply, cat behaviours etc!

Thanks Tan...

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 14:25:27 PM »
Andy ya can tell from tail signals too. I have a "how to read tail signals" from Wizz and will try to load it here for ya. :)

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 12:59:32 PM »
It will always be a combination of factors that show if your boys are happy/content. If you think about humans, some humans cry when they are sad, some don't, some cry when they are happy so crying in humans isn't necessarily a sign of unhappiness and not crying therefore isn't a sign of happiness, do you see. Same with cats, some cats who are in pain or who are really ill especially chronic illness can and do purr on occasion, this is usually something that people think of when they are trying to decide when is the right time to PTS, it can truly confuse and break your heart if your cat who you have realised has very little quallity of life and is plainly uncomfortable, purrs when you give them attention, that's when you need to be aware that purring does not necessarily mean that the cat is well and happy.

If your boys eat and sleep and play and have bright eyes and a good coat and spend time with you then it sounds like everyone is doing just great!

If they shy away or go off their food or show other signs or symptoms of ill health thats when you need to worry.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 12:15:19 PM »
from what you describe they sound happy and its not often that a cat would purr if it was very stressed or unhappy.  You would know from their body language, ie tail position, how relaxed, ear & eye postiion, do they cower away etc..

i would be fairly confident that your boys are happy  :ok:

Offline Andrew

• Adult Cat
  • Ginger
How do I know if my boys are happy?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 12:09:55 PM »

Well, as much as I would like to believe they are very happy, after I read an online article from CP that cats may not necessarily be happy even though they purr.

I've tried to search a lot on the internet and I am still quite unsure. It suggests that cats may purr when they are stressed or in pain as well. As some of you remember, Charlie has had constipation.

Charlie can purr 6 hours a day..... Baxter can tread or paddle on my stomach for hours as well. They are both very vocal. They like my attention. They don't play any toy except one... I think they are happy as I could certainly tell when Charlie seemed very uncomfortable when he was badly constipated...

Is there any other way I can tell if they are doing okay and happy?

Sorry, I was very much a dog person and it was easier to tell if a dog is happy or not :-)

Link to CatChat