Author Topic: Is it cruel to deprive cats of the outdoors?  (Read 2317 times)

Offline yecats

• Kitten
  • Slave to: cassie, chucky
Re: Is it cruel to deprive cats of the outdoors?
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 17:40:44 PM »
Sorry for your loss my two are mostly indoors and they only get out in my garden where I keep an eye on them and they don't wander away they never bother going away from the garden 

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 17:05:17 PM »
Jules  :hug:  RIP Charlie, handsome lad.

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 16:34:39 PM »
I just had a thought to add to my last post.  There are some options open to you with the USA leading the way with this as they have a lot of wildlife snatching cats etc over there:

a)  Construct a condo or shed so they can come and go through a cat flap but into a secured area so nothing can get to them and vis versa.

b)  Teach your cat to walk on a harness.  This isn't always practical especially if your in a dog heavy area, but if you can drive maybe a nice quiet spot some where for a walk would do.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 14:17:08 PM »
I am so sorry for your loss. It is heartbreaking.
We have always had outdoor cats who came and went as they wished - the boys often roamed and stayed away overnight which was a huge worry and our girl was more of a home bird however when we got Callie and Monty all that changed. There was something about them that made them seem much more unable to cope with being outdoor cats. They never seemed able to balance on things and having woods with foxes next door and also several cats killed on the small road near us we decided they would not be having free run of the neighbourhood. They do go out in an enclosed courtyard supervised but no further. We don't regret that choice and they don't actually seem that bothered - what you never had you don't miss! They look out at the leaves and birds and chirrup etc and eat my house plants but they appear quite happy with their indoor life!
It does have disadvantages such as in the summer when you cannot leave all the doors open in case they get out but now I am quite happy that we chose this route for them.
I think the key is to getting a pair so that they do have a playmate to chase and also snuggle with. This seems to make them more content. C&M are brother and sister.
Your little one just made your heart bigger - there is room for whoever it chooses to fit in there and each one will leave it's unique imprint of a life shared in there. I'm sure in time that bigger heart will be ready to welcome a couple of new kitties and whatever lifestyle you chose for them will be the right one because you chose it from love  :hug:
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 13:55:22 PM »
So sorry for the loss of your boy its never easy and any new furbaby you get is not a replacement it is a furperson in its own right who will love you and make your their slave

I have indoor only, indoor/outdoor and my ferals who live outside at their choice
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 13:06:13 PM »

Am so sorry to learn about the loss of your beautiful Charlie.   :hug:

Having lost two cats to road traffic accidents in the last twelve months, I am gradually changing from the "cats need to go out" camp to the "do they really" camp.  I think I'm firmly of the view it's great for cats to have access to the outdoors where that can be achived practically and safely, but most houses these days are by, or near, roads.   Living in the country doesnt necessarily make it safer for outdoor cats.   I have a friend who lived in a wonderful rural part of Lancashire, and who lost three cats to road traffic accidents on her "quiet" lane before she gave in and cat proofed her garden.

A cat proofed garden would be my ultimate aim, but as has already been said - it isn't everyone who can have their garden cat proofed - cost plays a big part (not everyone can be a DIY expert, especially not me  ;)) as does whether or not you live in rented accommodation (landlord's consent), or council regs (no structures over and above a certain height).  all of those things can play a part in whether or not that's a suitable solution for you and your cat/s.

There are plenty of people on here who have indoor cats and whose cats lead very happy and fulfilled lives, so keeping a cat solely indoors is not "cruel"  provided you're willing to provide the stimulation a wholly indoor cat would need - regular playtime, and plenty of things of interest, such as cat trees, indoor kitty grass, room to play and let off steam, a "window on the world....." etc to keep them active and interested in life.

Cats and roads dont mix.   If you still wanted to go down the outdoor access route and didnt have the ability to provide a cat proofed garden environment, then you could consider getting two older cats - say 8 or above - they're less active (generalsing here - I've known some very active older cats  :evillaugh:) and less inclined to roam huge distances.  They would provide company for each other, and will probably want to sleep more and stay nearer their home turf.

However, you would always have to be prepared for that heart stopping moment when someone may call you to ask if you have a such-and--such cat, because if so, they have some awful news.  Or facing day after day when they just dont come home and you never find out what happened to them.

My heart goes out to you  over Charlie.   :hug: :hug:

You'll know when it's time to take on another cat - and that's different for everyone.

There's no "right" or "wrong" time limit, just as Susanne says with regard to the thorny dilemma of "in" or "out"  but you have to feel comfortable with whatever decision you make ultimately, and if that is to keep your cats indoors, then I'm sure you'll find a compromise to keep them happy and occupied.

There are so many loving cats out there just desperate for a good home, so dont ever feel guilty at the thought you're "replacing" Charlie - it's not a case of replacing your lost cat - you can never do that, for they're each one unique and individual and special - but you can open your doors and your heart to another who will reward you just as richly, albeit differently.  And if you get two?  Then that's double the pleasure.  :) :hug:

Offline Jules5645

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Charlie
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 09:19:11 AM »
Hi
Thanks for the replies.  I know deep down that its not safe where I live evidenced by Chalie.  In his short life he was badly savaged (on one occasion), incessantly bullied by various cats (but was starting to hold his own) and has previously been in a leg cast for 8 weeks after - what I assume - was a near miss with a car last Christmas!  All that despite keeping him in at night!!

I would struggle to make my garden cat proof and if I did I feel it would almost be like teasing them with 'here's what you're missing'!!  If I got them as kittens and kept them indoors they would presumably not know what they were missing.

I think the decision I need to make isn't indoors v outdoors, it's indoors v not getting any at all!!

Thanks again for the advice. I am going to give it a few months so that the decision is a considered one and not based on emotion!

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 09:15:05 AM »
I am so sorry for your loss,  big hugs.

There are several reasons why a cat stays indoors all the time:

1.  I've known 2 agoraphobic cats, who wouldn't even go down the stairs to the front door, one used to be a stray.
2.  They just aren't interested in going out and prefer it indoors.
3.  They are disabled - blind, deaf etc.
4.  Have feline HIV etc

When your ready go off and visit your local feline rescue centre and discuss your needs/worries with them,  I am sure they will be able to find a Moggy to fulfil your needs.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 08:39:10 AM »
I''m sorry to hear about Charlie  :hug:

If it's cruel I must be a cruel cat meowmy because my boys are indoor cats  ;)

I guess it depends on various factors -assessment of risk where you live, the individual cat, what they are used to etc.

Then there are compromise options such as cat proof gardens and enclosures.

I think you need more time to grieve for Charlie and then when you are ready to welcome a new cat into your life you will be able to make a decison that's right for you both, and not one that's based on a knee jerk reaction (but a perfectly natural one given the circumstances under which you lost Charlie).  There isn't a right answer - just different lifestyles which bring with them both advantages and disadvantages.  I think everyone whose cat has free access to the outdoors has that worry about what could happen, and everyone who keeps their cat indoors has that worry that maybe they are depriving their cat of something important.  We can only do what we feel right for each individual cat after weighing up the pros and cons.  No solution is 100% purrfect.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 23:39:24 PM »
I am so sorry to hear about Charlie and agree with last poster.

RIP Charlie.

I think you have assess how safe it is for cats outside where you live.

I have two cats that are older and are safe in the garden but my 3yr old is not and only goes out in a walki9ng jacket with a lead.

my garden is way to big to cat proof but that would give him freedom which he really desires but far too colf for me out there and he has become so clever at trying to escape he can no longer be trusted grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Offline KittyNic

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Sam, Codex, Jacob, Munchkin & Chutney too!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 22:41:20 PM »
So sorry to read about Charlie. It's so hard to lose a pet. Non-pet owners never seem to understand quite how much a part of the family pets become.

Some cats are perfectly happy as house pets and some sanctuaries have cats that are only to be indoor cats.

That said give yourself to grieve over Charlie. You'll know when it's the right time to give a home to a new cat or cats and please make sure they come from a sanctuary.

Offline Jules5645

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Charlie
Is it cruel to deprive cats of the outdoors?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 21:07:18 PM »
I tragically lost my 2 year old cat and best friend Charlie at the weekend after he was hit by a car.  He was my first ever cat and I used to joke that he gave me absolutely nothing in return for the besotted love and attention I gave him. After only 3 days without him I know just how wrong I was as I can't see me ever getting over the overwhelming sense of loss that I feel.

It is too early for me to even consider getting another and if I did, I would definitely get two (not doing that the first time round was always a big regret). The question is would I be being cruel to keep them indoors?  I know the statistics are clear that indoor cats live longer but are they really happy?  I have in the past been very blasé saying 'I'd rather my cat have a short full life than a long unhappy one' but that is clearly not true with how I feel now!!

Charlie loved being outdoors and I would spend hours watching him from the window and getting great pleasure from seeing him out and about.  However is that just a selfishness on my part?  My head is all over the place and maybe I am torturing myself too soon with what would be a massive decision, but any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

Jules

Link to CatChat