Author Topic: Diet Advice.... change from dry food to wet food etc...  (Read 3178 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Diet Advice.... change from dry food to wet food etc...
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 08:01:22 AM »
I always feed a mixture of both, but try to give more wet than dry (although the girls adore their dry food and complain if they dont get any - try and give them wet for their supper and you get daggers!!). If he likes JWB dry, I would keep him on that - I think if you can only get one high quality food down them, dry is better than wet. Just make sure they drink enough water. I haven't found a dry food yet that isn't complete.
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 22:47:31 PM »
Hi Andrew - my email addy's in my profile - send away!

Offline Andrew

• Adult Cat
  • Ginger
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 22:10:09 PM »

Sussane, could I send you an email?

Thanks.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 22:07:57 PM »
andrew firstly i am glad charlie seems to be under control at the moment.

it is advisable for cats to have both wet and dried in their diets, however i have known many cats to do just fine on either or.

Why do you think cats should get some dry, Lynn?  Just interested.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 16:06:54 PM »
yes andrew best too look for a complete type.

I think if he likes jwb why not stick to that,  Cody seems to like hills the best, but also royal canin and he quite liked the jwb samples altho maybe not quite so much as the others.

if charlie is ok with his i/d then defo stick to that.

Offline Andrew

• Adult Cat
  • Ginger
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 12:18:15 PM »

Thanks Lynn!

Baxter eats any dry food! I got some samples from a local pet shop and he likes them all! He is eating JWB dry food. I added water in his dry food but he doesn't like it at all.

Do I need to look for 'complete' dry food? Any brand you have in mind?

Charlie likes dry food a lot. But I've noticed it makes his digestion worse. So I only give him a bit as treats. He is doing so much better on Hill's I/D.

Sorry everyone but I cannot search in CC forum.. I know this has been discuessed and I read it in CC before too but I can't remember much due to old age :-)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 12:11:54 PM »
andrew firstly i am glad charlie seems to be under control at the moment.

Re the food types.

it is advisable for cats to have both wet and dried in their diets, however i have known many cats to do just fine on either or.

If they are just eating dried then its very important that you are sure they are good drinkers and if not follow some tips to increase water consumption.

Cats like whiskas etc as there is quite alot of additives to make it very palatable to them.  read this you might find it interesting http://www.catsplay.com/thedailycat/2003-06-09/mind_communication/senses_taste/senses_taste.html

does he like a good quality of dried food ?? if so then personally i would feed this and give him the whiskas if that is what he like.

this is how i work it with cody as he's not keen on wet food other than licking the jelly off, so he is mainly dried fed but also i give him 1 can of hi life pate 85g can per day, sometimes he eats it all other times not..his favorite is the fishy flavoured one (tuna ?)

Offline Andrew

• Adult Cat
  • Ginger
Diet Advice.... change from dry food to wet food etc...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 12:02:01 PM »

It has been 7 weeks or so since I took Charlie and Baxter home. They are doing very well. Charlie has been to the vet 5 times and now with management, his megacolon and constipation seem to be under control for now. I believe they are happy but I'll start a new topic about this.

They were on Whiskas and JBW dry food according to the sheet the rescue centre gave me.

So Charlie eats anything -- Lactulose and Parrifin without any difficulty! Any wet food or dry food is not a problem. (He changed to Hill's I/D) He is now having about only 5 biscuits of dry food a day :-) plus Hill's I/D.

Baxter, on the other hand, is becoming more and more fussy. He ate more wet food when he arrived here and now he seems to eat mainly dry food, no matter how much I try. Is there anyway I can do that he would eat more wet food?

Also, do cats just prefer low meat content food like Whiskas?.... I try to give him 1) Hi Life 2) Nature's menu 3) Nutro. Baxter doesn't even touch it even though I warm up the food a bit... He only touches Whiskas probably twice a day... any tip of changing brand of wet food?...

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Link to CatChat