Author Topic: Given wrong prescription food  (Read 11071 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Given wrong prescription food
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2006, 16:32:52 PM »
I bought him some regular Whiskas supermeat which he lapped up and is a purry, happy bunny (well kitty) now. I pulled a dining chair up to a radiator in the dining room and he is as happy as larry. I will have to monitor him carefully. It takes him around 24hrs to get over a vet visit - he hides behind the sofa all day when I bring him back. I don't want to stress him any more than neccessary. Any signs of pain and I will have to take him - he is also still scratching the last razor cut and making it bleed (can't vets be a bit more careful shaving cats?)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2006, 14:12:04 PM »
I agree a dental xray may not be a bad thing, I also want to add that if there is a piece of root there then its not due to rubbish dentistry etc...because of neck lesions the tooth can just snap off from the root and yes we go gouging trying to get the roots out often very sucessfully but sometimes you can be actaully in danger or doing more harm than good and potentialy breaking a jaw if you go too far.  Cats fortunately seem to get less recurring problems from roots still in the jaw than dogs or humans do but obviously this doesnt sound like the case with poor clapton.

I do hope we get this resolved, im not suprised its so hard to get him to accept the new diet with a sore mouth the poor lad.

fingers crossed mark X

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2006, 13:10:06 PM »
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 21:41:23 PM by Nick (Peanut & Boo) »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2006, 12:05:57 PM »
He is bad today - I have tried 3 different foods to tempt him. He tried to eat one of them , yelped and ran behind the sofa. He seemed to be getting better a few weeks ago and was getting very playful. I will book him in tomorrow and unless I get a satisfactory answer, will get a 2nd opinion. Poor clapton has been through too much pain already.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2006, 11:26:09 AM »
It should not be long term though.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2006, 11:21:44 AM »
most prescription foods now come in wet and dry form, so you can pick and choose, but to me it sounds like the cat may have some infection in gums post op?? perhaps?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2006, 10:52:51 AM »
I have had many cats who had all but fangs removed, some of them have eaten dried within hours and not appeared to be in pain, and never an ongoing problem (I offered them soft but went to dried that was for another cat).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 10:55:02 AM by ela »

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2006, 10:22:31 AM »
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 21:41:50 PM by Nick (Peanut & Boo) »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2006, 08:51:23 AM »
Jeez i just re read my last post and what an earth ?? so obvious i wrote it late at night :rofl: anyway i guess you guys got the jist of what i was meaning!!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006, 05:08:01 AM »
I read Marks post  and I thought I know what I will reply and then there is was, already written by Lynn
bad mouth however, yes can cause multiple organ probs,

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 23:44:05 PM »
well i guess your vet defo knows far better than me but i will say i have known countless cats with kidney probs being as its one of the most common things in cats and i amnt aware of them having ongoing gum pain because of it, bad mouth however, yes can cause multiple organ probs,

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2006, 23:03:30 PM »
the vet said the gum probs are connected to the kidney probs. I heard it the other way round that gum disease can cause kidney disease. I will give another week and see hi, again - if neccessary, get a 2nd opinion.

Thanks for the advice all  ;D

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 22:09:41 PM »
Oh yeah ... I forgot about that!
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 21:24:53 PM »
you can get it from vetuk aswell and do it through angie so she gets donations.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 21:20:33 PM »
Mark ... not sure how much you are paying for your prescption food but you might want to check out this website: http://www.bestpetpharmacy.co.uk/search_results.asp?sec=121&gclid=CPvU8qeN44gCFRs9MAode0dMiw

You still need a prescription from the vet ... read the home page for the rules.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 20:26:38 PM »
mark i'd be more pissed off about his gums than the mistake of his food..sound to me like there could be roots or something still there but no cat should have "ONGOING" pain after a dental..I'd raise this until they give you some decent answers !!!!!

Kris if it was a diet to prevent crystal formation then that would be more serious potentially than some other conditions.

mark on the occasions i may have made some error of some type at my work i remember my boss saying "NEVER ASSUME"
LOL

Offline isabel

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 20:15:13 PM »
Poor Clappy. *tickles behind ears*
Give blood! They'll give you biscuits...

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 19:16:59 PM »
Dont understand that Mark........he shouldnt have gum probs that are so painful he cant eat........cant remember the story though.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 18:34:32 PM »
I can understand some degree of human error but she is/was well aware of Clapton's condition. Especially as she asked what diet he was on. Anyway, no harm done this time. One of my old bosses always said "assume everyone else is an idiot". In this case it's true  ;D

As for his gums, the vet was at the receptionists desk yesterday and I told him Clappy's gums are still bad and he has probs eating - he even yelps and runs from the food bowl - the vet said it will be an ongoing prob  :'(

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 14:28:23 PM »
yep thats right mark. my cat is on rd for weight loss and we have to kkep an eye on her kidneys. but also as its prescription only food the receptionist has to get a file up on her pc with the cats records and if the cat has not seen a vet for a while we cant have the food.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 14:10:13 PM »
At our vets even the receptionists goes into your pets records before handing any food over, they need to any way as it has be  noted in those records..

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 12:21:22 PM »
Oh dear that does seem worrying, we had a cat years sgo who would get blocked (unable to pee) if he even had 2 meals that weren't his prescription diet so gving him the wrong prescription or non-prescription food could have been fatal. Seems the receptionist needs to be trained in dispensing prescription foods as if they were drugs, double and triple checking. of course human error does happen and she probably feels terrible now.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 11:59:57 AM »
I just checked agin and Hill's website said r/d shouldn't be givens to cats with renal probs!!

No more so than normal food, it would be no more dangerous than normal cat food.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 11:58:09 AM »
i can understand you being annoyed mark but i guess human error !   I also think now a days altho receptionisnt are still obviously involved with ordering in food they do not now dispense drugs.  And this other food would not have been fatal even if clapton had been on it for a couple of weeks.  It does appear though the recept didnt bother to look back your notes !

However just as well as you are so careful and noticed.  Hills foods i guess can be confusing to the lay person who isnt used to dealing with it as it is all initials and there are so many.  k/d = kidney disease.  r/d = reducing diet (i think)  luckily they all have different colours, i think k/d used to be orange and r/d is still green ( on the label not the actual food LOL)

How are you getting on introducing it to him anyway and is his gums ok now ??

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 11:55:30 AM »
I just checked agin and Hill's website said r/d shouldn't be givens to cats with renal probs!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Given wrong prescription food
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 11:51:29 AM »
A couple of weeks ago, the vets gave me various foods to try out for Clapton's Renal dysfunction. The other day, I ordered some more (luckily I ordered 2 kinds as he doesn't like any of them) I asked for the Hills cans and the receptionist asked if it was r/d. I said I didn't know as I obviously had recycled the empty tins. I said it sounded right ie r/d = renal dysfunction?? (I thought). She said she would check and get the coorect one. I picked it up yesterday and when I looked at the cans, they seemed different to the previous ones. When I checked, it said it's for weight loss. Two points here. 1. The receptionist should have checked and given me the correct one - In my book is no different to being given the wrong meds which could be fatal!. 2. Surely Hills should make the pacakaging clearer and realise that a lot of people might think r/d means renal dysfunction - I checked just now and the correct one is k/d - I think. I am p'sd off about it  :nono:

Link to CatChat