Author Topic: Given wrong prescription food  (Read 11069 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Given wrong prescription food
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2006, 22:40:57 PM »
Yes I check vetuk - it was £7.6 postage + you had to buy 24 at a time - the vet charges 95p a small can of hills but I can have 6 at a time if need be. - This is going to be an expensive hobby! - he's worth it though :catluv: :catluv: :catluv: :catluv: :catluv: :catluv: :catluv: :catluv: :catluv: :catluv:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2006, 22:11:10 PM »
I think you should have a word with the vet about his poor receptionist, I can't believe she doesn't know about the prescription foods - mine have a booklet hanging up about them all, it takes seconds to check. My vets always enter prescription food onto their records, and they check them before dispensing them. If you buy prescription food online, do be aware that you get charged p & p, last time I worked it out, it didn't save me any money.
I found the same probs as Helen wiht finding baby food - in America, it is easy, not so over here!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2006, 22:07:51 PM »
Finding baby food without onions or garlic in is a task in itself.  The only one I'm aware off is the Heinz Mum's own 4 month with Beef puree.  Apparently both Asda and Tesco sell it but I have tried ordering when I do an online shop and they always send Bananas and Custard as they were out of stock  :innocent: Went into both Tesco and Asda 'real life' shops and neither had it, just the label on the shelf so I think they may have supply problems.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2006, 22:02:34 PM »
Thanks Elaine - I will try baby food as a fall-back or mix some in his food - I have been mixing ham in food which seems to help but I'm wooried about sodium levels (+ the other crap they put in it!)

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2006, 21:58:37 PM »
Thanks Desley but I have some of the RC one - Luckily, I ordered 2 kinds from the vet - I think he prefers the Hills (he point blank won't eat RC - even a tiny amount in regular food) - I rang the vets receptionist today and she still thought r/d was the correct one! - eventually, she said she will order the correct one after checking with the vet!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2006, 21:54:50 PM »
Thanks Gillian. It's odd (maybe not) that both kinds of phosphorus binder are indigestion remedies

Thanks for the recipe - I don't have a coffe grinder - I guess I could buy one if need be  :thanks:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2006, 21:40:43 PM »
Just catching up with this = RC also do renal food, I do have some here if you want me to send you some for him to try? Have both wet and dry. I really would be tempted to get his teeth checked, I know he hates going, but they are serious. Good luck!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2006, 21:13:07 PM »
Powdered eggshell - first wash eggshell (just water - not w/u liquid LOL!), bake in v. hot oven around 200 (fan) for 5-10 mins. Cool, then wizz in the coffee grinder - there you have it, powdered eggshell. Thats the recipe today then  ;D

Powdered eggshell is quite often used in many rawfood recipes as the calcium source and my cats have all had it before, so adding a bit more to Suz's food is no prob. Its also been used in people with kidney failure as a phosphorus binder where it was found to bind phosphorus successfully without raising calcium levels apparently, unlike some other calcium carbonate sources - mine of useless information aint I?  :)

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2006, 18:35:37 PM »
http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm#little_and_often
Thought this page from the crf site might help with regards to food.  Maybe some baby food would help Clapton for the time being, just make sure it doesnt contain onion.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2006, 18:29:55 PM »
How do you powder eggshell? - I assume with a rolling pin? - I would be nervous of giving him that  :scared:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2006, 18:27:18 PM »
I do have feliway - I will give it a try if I really have to take him - he has already been 3 times recently  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2006, 18:24:53 PM »
I will try it as he is wearing me out and his food is costing more than mine!

Reminds me, he is upstairs so can hoover the l/g floor now!

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2006, 18:24:09 PM »
Hi Mark, sorry I have just caught up with this thread.  Poor Clapton, sounds like he's really having an unpleasant time of it.  I had a crf kitty too and just wanted to add, antirobe would probably be the better anti biotic for him, some antibiotics can be harsh on failing kidneys.  I am not keen on leaving him without food, even for a day, crf cats can very quickly get into a dangerous cycle of not eating due to pain or feeling sick, it is always better that he eats something.  Once a crf cat gets into a cycle of not eating it can fade fast depending on toxin levels, anemia or any other ailment that may also be present along side the crf.
I hope you get his poor mouth sorted asap and that he regains his appetite. xxx

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2006, 18:21:07 PM »
good plan i think mark re the food choices, can you imagine if your abit funny with your food and someone put half a dozen different types of food in your face all day,  :sick:

maybe abit of a breather and he might feel more inclined to eat.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2006, 18:12:41 PM »
Ipakitine is also a phosphorus binder, although some feel that it isnt as good as the alu-caps stuff and that it can increase calcium levels. Powdered eggshell can also be used as a phosphorus binder and I'm trying that for my cat Suzie.

Mark, have you got any feliway spray that you could spray into the carrier before you take Clapton? might help him feel a bit better about it.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2006, 17:54:59 PM »
There was a rumour about 9 months ago saying that (on CRF yahoo group) but my chemist still stock it as far as I know.  When I first started using binders I asked my Mum to get me some from the US as she was going on one of her many holidays (not that I'm jealous  >:() She is a bit of a know it all and rang arouind a few chemists where she lives and they all stocked it and didn't say anything about it being discontinued. 

If it is being discontinued it might be worth ringing  around a few local chemists in your area and stocking up, it normally comes in bottles of 100 which at Tiggy's dosage is enough to last 380 days.  As far as I am aware there is no generic version, you can buy it from the US (it's called Aluminium Hydroxide gel powder) in massive containers that would last any cat a lifetime, fairly cheaply but it's the shipping that the stinger.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2006, 17:45:31 PM »
:thanks: Helen,

Have you  heard that Alu-caps have been discontinued? -I went to my local Boots and they had 24 left and charged me £1.20 for them but said that is it. I asked if there was a generic version but she didn't know.

Anyway, thanks again for the  info

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2006, 17:40:46 PM »
Lynn, Before I read your last advice, I went to the pet shop and bought an assortment of pouches/trays and tried a few more out - he eventually settled for felix turkey foil tray. I watched him eat and he wolfed it with no sign of mouth pain - I am so confused. I tried to open his mouth today and he was having none of it, although it didn't hurt hime - I got gummed for annoying him  ;D
I will keep an eye on him - at least I am around all day- the vets receptioist said she will squueze him in even if they are fully booked so I can be there in 5 mins if need be.

Tomorrow, I will follow your advice and put one thing out, If hedoesn't want it, he can go without - it will save me a couple of £ a day!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2006, 17:36:17 PM »
Hi Mark

Have replied to your email.....

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2006, 16:45:04 PM »
Mark you can actually put a cat off eating by offering so much different types of food so i'd perhaps offer him 2 max types and if he dont eat it just leave him for a day.

also hows about phoning the vet saying you are sure his mouth is still the problems and would it be possible for him to dispense antirobe capsules as you know these are very good for this type of infections and possibley some painkillers aswell to see if it makes a difference.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2006, 16:40:03 PM »
He won't eat at all today. I have tried about 8 different foods to tempt him. He just wants to sleep. Don't know if I'm being overanxious as kylie has slept most of the day too. I know he can't survive on ham  :'(
I will take him tomorrow if there is no change but he gets so upset he plays dead and even pees in the carrier with fear so I don't want to stress him unless it's absolutely neccessary. I wish there was a visiting vet I could use. I bought some alu-caps in boots to add to regular food but he won't even eat that

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2006, 09:01:37 AM »
I agree with you lynn in this type of situation Anitrobe is possibley the best. My vet usually perscribes it in these situations.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2006, 21:41:18 PM »
seriously, he is eating normally tonight (not prescription food though - until I can change the r/d to k/d, he only has royal canin prescription and it smells nasty so clapton says  :bum: to it!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2006, 21:12:50 PM »
Ahhh that's good .... I must have healing hands :)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2006, 21:11:24 PM »
 :thanks: Sam

:clap:  Clap says he feels a bit better now  :catplay:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2006, 21:02:37 PM »
Mark,

Just caught up with this thread ... poor old clapton and poor you ... sounds like it's one of those "never rains but it pours" times for you at the moment!  Can't offer any more advice about Clapton I'm afraid but just wanted to send a big  :hug: to you and a special  :ahh: to Clapton.  Hope he feels better soon and Mr Vet can sort out the problem.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 21:04:25 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2006, 20:56:24 PM »
I would like to think that a medical people are 100% ethical and business comes 2nd but not so sure thesedays. If my own dental is anything to go by, in 1986, a dentist in Essex said I needed a back tooth extracted as is was no longer viable to fill - I still have the tooth, albeit 90% filling as it has been worked on so many times but I still have it. A more recent thing. Last year I went to the dentist in Whitstable and as he is based in the medical centre I thought could be trusted. I had a pain in my back tooth. He took xrays etc and said he couldn't see anything. He offered to drill through an existing bridge (adding that if it broke he wasn't responsible) to redo a root canal underneath. He said it would take 1 - 2 hours and would cost £250.00 and would I like an appointment? - I asked if he was sure that it couldn't be a rumbling wisdom tooth or something? - He said he didn't think so - I said I would take a rain check as I don't part with money for myself as easily as I do for my cats  :Crazy: - the next day, the pain started to go and within 3 days was gone completely and never came back! - Hence my distrust medical people that charge.

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2006, 20:20:38 PM »
mark you're not the only one. Ive had moments like that with vets in the past but as I used to work for a vet part time as a student Ive learned what can and cant wash on some things, although I must say I think Ive been done over in the past too........

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2006, 20:18:05 PM »
I think they were the tabs Lynn  8) I will definately take him again this week if no improvement but have to make sure he needs to go as stress makes him worse. Also,  my good friend peri said, watch the vet as he was treating her cat Kev for kidney disease and he was in overnight for rehydration and died there - she got a £300 bill for the treatment! - he was 14 though. It's a shame I am on such bad terms with the vets next door as I would go there for a 2nd opinion (it's so bad now that I passed the owner in the street this week and he looked at the floor rather than acknowledge me :-[ )

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2006, 19:56:05 PM »
sounds like you have alot on your plate mark.

Also sounds like he was on synulox..you could ask your vet if you could have antirobe which is much better for mouth infections. (and bone infections)

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2006, 19:52:57 PM »
I too would be inclinded to have a word with the vet ASAP

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 22:01:20 PM by Nick (Peanut & Boo) »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2006, 19:31:01 PM »
I can't remember what antibiotics he was on - I know they were made by a french company and they were palatable. When I say shave, It could have been clippers as I didn't see it done. Also the bleeding could be caused by him scratching - hopefully the vet is good - he's the same one that Sharon from Canterbury CP uses. He seems OK now and is eating the regular Whiskas - I will have to look at the feline CRF site and see what they advise - time is really short as I am trying to run the B&B single-handed and do my taxes which are running late - millions of supermarket receipts to sort out etc - also got to get ready for a carpenter doing work this week. Also have the basement cleared and move 2 of the cats upstairs by 11th to have new floor put in - it's starting to be a nightmare! (and go to a cattery this week 2 take pics of 2 cats for Sharon - wouldn't miss it for the world though - the lady at the cattery keeps 2 pens for CP cats - Sharon said one of them had been taken to vet to PTS  :'( )

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2006, 17:40:49 PM »
sorry dont know ela,

mark out of interest what antibiotics was he on ?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2006, 17:38:27 PM »
Sorry I give up will someone please advise me how to get them animated on here?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2006, 17:37:28 PM »
Well pic did not quite come out as intended

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2006, 17:35:08 PM »
I too would be inclinded to have a word with the vet ASAP

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2006, 17:17:36 PM »
RE clippers, i have on occasion unfortunately experienced a very small nick in the skin caused by a proper clippers, if one of the teeth hasnt been quite right, however clapton was done a fair while ago now so should be healed and fur growing back.

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2006, 17:12:27 PM »
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 21:40:38 PM by Nick (Peanut & Boo) »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2006, 17:10:43 PM »
Razors to trim the fur? Eekkkkkkkkkkkk surely they use a trimmimg gadget, no cat should get cut.

I would still get his mouth sorted cos even if he suddenly starts eating he may suddenly get very bad again.

Your vet sounds a bit rough and ready to me!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2006, 17:05:49 PM »
Hi Mark,

Don't forget - on the felinecrf website theres the list of non-prescription foods that are low in phosphorus that might suit Clapton, if he doesnt like the prescription ones. Also, if he won't eat those either - your vet can give you a phosphorus binder to put in normal food.

With regard to kidney disease causing mouth probs - yes thats correct, the toxins that build up in the body can often cause mounth problems. Its also correct that bacteria and toxins from the mouth can lead to kidney probs. As Lynn said, if he's got neck lesions in his teeth they are extremely painful and could cause the reaction your'e seeing backing away from the food, and the neck lesions can be difficult to spot in their early stages, although they still cause pain.

Gillian

Link to CatChat