Author Topic: Advice please - neighbours are using mice poison  (Read 1954 times)

Offline ToffeeandCookie

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Toffee and Cookie
Re: Advice please - neighbours are using mice poison
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 20:47:53 PM »
Thanks everyone, luckily they went out with harnesses when they were kittens so they are used to it. Cookie was not happy being inside today poor love. Will take her out tomorrow.

Hoping to speak to the neighbour over a cup of tea at some point and talk to them a bit more.

Glad that I'm not being overly cautious :)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 17:15:38 PM »
I certainly wouldn't do anything about rats or mice at the end of the garden, but I do draw the line at having them in the house (other than the the domesticated type as pets, of course). I got some humane traps a while ago as Alfie caught a mouse in our kitchen. But we never saw anymore so I came to the conclusion that it was one that Alfie had previously brought in and lost  :doh:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 16:36:41 PM »
We had rats coming from the field but as soon as Misa and Sasa went out, no more!

The mice dont stand a chance but still keep reproducig  :innocent:

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 14:52:30 PM »
I would keep the cats in and get them some leads with harnesses then let them go for a walk with you.  I had to do this several times with one of my cats and they get used to it in the end.  Another option would to get the a small shed/cat condo so they can be outside but not get out of the garden.

I've found that poison never works with rodent's they are way too smart, getting a cat or a terrier works a lot better.  My Cairn caught a 8 inch rat in our garden and dispatched it very quickly and efficiently.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 14:31:18 PM »
People seem obsessed with killing our wildlife if it dares to get anywhere near them. The guy with the rat poison lives in the countryside and had rats under his shed at the bottom of the garden. He said he was scared because of his grandchildren.  I don't know what he thought the rats would do to his grandchildren on their occasional visits. The other annoying thing is my sisters cat is a really good ratter. He's the size of a small dog and keeps the rats and mice down in her barn. So I'm sure he would have killed the rats under his shed. 

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 13:48:28 PM »
         they do far less harm to the area than the local teenaged population....... and we are not allowed to poison them. 

Aint that the truth......   ;)

We have mice in our garden, and I really enjoy watching them.  Unfortunately, Tinks enjoys hunting them, but they always seem to go on as a family unit, year upon year, thankfully. 

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 19:56:20 PM »
You are not being paranoid and better to err on the side of caution. Definitely let other cat owners know because they can then decide what to do, I would hate to not know if it were me and you could prevent a tragedy. Keep your cats in until the menace has passed.

Shame your neighbours can't be arsed to get humane traps... glad they are not my neighbours.

I don't understand this sort of thing, what real harm do mice do anyway?  We have lots living in our garage and apart from shredding a few cardboard boxes they do far less harm to the area than the local teenaged population....... and we are not allowed to poison them. 

X

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 17:35:58 PM »
I also would tell other neighbours.

I ca understand why they dont want to use traps.........this way the animals will likely go away and die elsewhere so they dont get their hands dirty!

if they blocked up the holes where mice were getting in that would be the best idea.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 17:23:36 PM »
I'd definitely let your other neighbours know. My sister was in a similar situation in the summer. My other sister was pet sitting for her and noticed that their neighbour had put down rat poison. She told my sister when she got back from holiday but unfortunately my sister did nothing about it. Most of her chickens ended up being poisoned. It was really horrible and upsetting. Fortunately her cat and dogs didn't pick any of it up. She went round and made the guy remove it. He felt pretty awful as he liked the chickens.

I was so angry I wanted to go around and punch the guy, fortunately she's a bit more easy going than me.   

Did they say why they won't use traps? Do they realise they could kill their neighbours cats or don't they care? 

I'd keep your cats in for now and ask them to tell you when they have stopped using the poison.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 17:51:43 PM by Mymblesdaughter »

Offline ToffeeandCookie

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Toffee and Cookie
Advice please - neighbours are using mice poison
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 15:21:58 PM »
Hi all,

I have two young cats (both around a year old now) Toffee and Cookie. They are not at the stage of bringing us home anything yet - just the occasional twig(!) but I have just found out that our neighbours have mice and are using poison to get rid of them. I have suggested they use traps but it's a no go. Poison has not gone down yet but will at some point this week from what I understand.

We live in a semi detached house in London and this is the neighbours who are NOT attached to us. Our two cats do use their garden as part of their turf as it were and have shown a lot of interest in being outside lately -now I know why!

Like I say they haven't caught anything yet, but I am a bit worried about them at catching and eating a poisoned mouse.

The vet has suggested keeping them in. So that is what I have done. They are outdoor cats though and clearly miss being allowed outside. Plus they do tend to have the occasional fight when we keep them inside (with hissing)

I'm just wondering if I am being paranoid as
A) other neighbours could have had poison down at any point and I wouldn't have known
B) they haven't actually caught anything yet

Also should I let my other neighbours who have cats know? Or would it just cause them to worry too?

Thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thank you
Slightly worried cat mum

Link to CatChat