Author Topic: Moving with cats!  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: Moving with cats!
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 13:20:30 PM »
I'm glad that the move went well and that you have no regrets. You can take as long as you want to get things just right in your new home.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 08:52:48 AM »
pleased it all went well, hope you enjoy your new home soon

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 07:19:40 AM »
Ever so pleased all went well.  Give yourself time to get accustomed to your new house, and above all - enjoy!  :hug: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 19:42:29 PM »
Pleased the transfer has taken place successfully and just take your time getting sorted  ;D

Offline Purdy Bear

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 18:46:19 PM »
I'm glad all went well and your settling in.  I'm sure in a few months time you will feel like you've been there forever.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 18:34:40 PM »
Well the move has taken place and this is the third day in my new place.

A friend helped me move the cats: I caught them, he held the cages and I dropped them in. I kept them in a small room for the hour the movers were here, after which I opened the door. Since then they've been hiding behind the moving boxes. They come out of hiding to be fed and I found George sleeping on my inflatible bed earlier. I left him there, risking a claw for the sake of him feeling at home. The first night, Fred walked round the house meowling like a banshee with the others softly answering. In fact they've all become very vocal.

The first night, I felt like I was visiting a friend, but I'm quickly getting used to the house. The main problem I have is that I can't find anything as I haven't unpacked yet. And I've come down with a cold; a mixture of the stress of moving and my teacher friend, who came to visit on the first night, having caught one from the kids.

The phone and internet have been installed, but there's so much to do. I'll take this at an easy pace, gradually turning the house into my home.
The cats keep stepping on the phone (which is on a window sill) and knocking the receiver off! (Its a corded phone base, I haven't found its satellite which will go upstairs.)

I think I left my previous area at the right time. As a friend and I were leaving with the cats, the new owner came up to the taxi and asked if I'd given permission for a neighbouring building which obstructed the right of way. I hadn't and both I and a nearby owner-occupier were livid about it.

I phoned my previous neighbour. She's now thinking of leaving and is looking at other property.

So I'm not looking back much, if at all.

Just thought I'd update.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 06:58:06 AM »

It's natural you'll have feelings of regret when you've lived in a place so long, but you said it yourself - it isn't the same as it was.   :hug: :hug:   The time is right for a change.

When we moved to this house, we'd lived at our previous house for 20 years.  We virtually rebuilt the house - wall ties, damp proof course, woodworm treatment, new roof, new windows and doors, re-wired, installed central heating, new kitchen, rear extension etc etc.  There was quite a bit of emotional attachment to the place.  But.  We moved because although the place had been a lovely little community when we first moved in, by the time we left it had become a wholly different place.  It was full of drug addicts and dealers,   Angry young men with huge status dogs.  Arson and burglary were endemic weekend practices and there were an awful lot of "problem families" who spent their time drinking, shouting, fighting and creating trouble.

When the removal men came, we packed up the boxes and left without a second glance.

Your new house sounds lovely, and you make a home from the things and the love you put into it.  Look forward to a new chapter in your life, and don't panic.  Make sure you're organised and know exactly what you're going to do with regard to the cats and make sure everyone on the day understands too.

If you can, colour code your boxes with different coloured stickers for each room - ie red for your kitchen, yellow for your living room etc - makes it a lot easier for people to know where to put things.  Or write the room on the top and sides of the boxes.  Check on the cats and then unpack food and water and their familiar things for their room,  your kettle and stuff for tea/coffee making for you, then get your bed up and made.  That way, when you're totally exhausted sorting everything out, you can fall into bed.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 20:13:03 PM »
I think it is natural to get 'cold feet' at this stage, even more so having lost one of your furbabies  :hug: I'm sure that you will be fine once you have settled in a bit.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 21:21:07 PM »
House buying and moving is at top of stress table and i so know why!

I think I would move cats first if you have people at other end but try taping up the door at opening side aand putting up sign and telling movers...........so if someone acts daft it has a bit of resistance.

I hope you will be very happy in new home  :hug: :hug:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 17:46:46 PM »
I've lived in my current house for 30 years and know I'll miss it. I let rooms in the beginning, which I don't anymore, so the house is too big. The main reason for the move is the change in the area: from mostly owner-occupied to student lets with lots of property developers changing the nature of the housing.

My new house is a 1930s semi with a through lounge in a nice leafy area. I know I should be happy, but I'm panicking; both about the process of moving and leaving a house where I've put down roots. Also, one cat went missing on Oct 8th and hasn't returned. Hate leaving him behind, but think he would be back by now if he could. The others are closer as a consequence and I just hope that moving them goes smoothly.

So much to think about and do. Will be so glad when it's all over. Couldn't take this level of stress for long.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 06:57:52 AM »

Moving is stressful HK.  But once it's done, it's done.   :hug: :hug:

Good idea to tell the removal peeps that they wont be paid if that door is opened. 

I know that's not the only reason you're stressed, and I really feel for you on that score.   :hug:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 02:24:33 AM »
My inclination is to move them first, so get them out of the way and safe. I don't think the tiny room at the new house locks, but will put a huge warning sign on it and refuse to pay the removal men if they do open the door! I'll tell them this beforehand.

I made the offer on the house in May, so it's been months for the conveyancing to be done.

Feeling very stressed.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 17:08:03 PM »
Whether you move the cats first or last, I suggest that the room they are in is physically locked and accessible only to you - if at all possible.

I do hope that everything goes well and that you are all happy in your new home.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 13:42:38 PM »
we've moved the cat last as well but did lock him in the bathroom with a big notice on it not to open the door on pain of death!   

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 07:00:02 AM »
Cant believe moving time's come round so quickly (and still hoping your baby will come back home before the move takes place)  :hug:

I think, where you have friends who will be helping, and who will be there at the other end, I would be inclined to move the cats first.  Having said that, when we moved, we took the pets last, having left them for the duration in the first room to be cleared (but we were dealing with 1 dog and 1 cat!)

You could get some pet remedy and sprinkle it on to the little card hanger they provide specifically for use in your car or the vehicle you'll use to transport the cats, and have another plugged in ready in the room you want to confine the cats to at eitehr end.  It cant do any harm, and it might help a lot.  :hug:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Moving with cats!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 05:09:10 AM »
I'm moving house in exactly one week and I have 5 ex-feral cats (I did have six, but one is still missing). They will sit beside me, allow me to stroke them and fuss them, but won't let me pick them up. I was hoping that the vet would give me something to put in their food to tranquillise them a little on moving day, but they're insisting upon seeing the cats, which would be just as difficult as moving house with them. The friend who normally helps with the cats is having problems at work and unable to take time off.

So I'm going to have to move five live wires on moving day while there are removal men clumping round the house!

Should I move the cats first and shut them into a tiny 5ft square room at the new house, put a notice on the door for the removal men not to open the door? Or should I move them last, when they might be on edge from all the strange goings on?
I have to be out of the house by 1pm.

Any advice welcome.
I'm panicking about the move generally as I'm doing it on my own, employing professionals to do all the work. Things won't be so bad at the other end, where a couple of friends will be joining me, but the process of moving is scarey.  :Crazy:

Link to CatChat