Author Topic: cat broody  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: cat broody
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 20:16:46 PM »
Poor Lupin!

Alfie keeps offering to play with Cleo, she just spits at him  :( Mind you, earlier this evening they were within 6 inches of touching noses, that's the nearest they have ever been to each other without fisticuffs!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 19:26:09 PM »
Mine tollerate Lupin but when he starts wanting to interact they hate him poor boy

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 18:51:14 PM »
We're having similar success with young Kuki, she's irrepressibly happy and just wows everyone, cat and human alike.

However there are a couple of grumpies - my older girls both resent her and steer clear or growl at her, so maybe a pair would be best so Bella can carry on being DD's best friend.  ;)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 12:37:32 PM »

I wonder if the solution is to adopt two cats together - maybe kittens around the 5 or 6 month mark.  They would be company for each other, and less likely to bother Bella. 

I think we were very fortunate that when we lost Ross and got Moray, Moray's character was such that he actually spent time and craft persuading Tinks that he wasnt a monster, and was actually quite delightful.  The fact that he then truned into a teeny terrorist is neither here nor there - by then, his work was done, and Tinks was hooked.  :evillaugh:  It also helped I thnk that Tinks is still a bairn himself - 18 months old.

I agree though - worth checking what they can tell you about Bella's interaction with other cats before making a move.  :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 21:11:14 PM »
I was hankering after a second cat and happily agreed to take on my SIL's cat when she went abroad. New cat settled in well but really wants to be an only cat and chases my big, soft, Alfie baby away.

I wouldn't have taken Cleo in if I had known that it was going to make Alfie miserable and impact badly on my relationship with him  :'(

Do think carefully before you decide on a second cat, it doesn't always work as well as we hope.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 10:04:19 AM »
Was Bella with any other cats in the rescue or did they say whether she got on with other cats? Might be worth checking if they have any information before getting another one.

I'm always thinking of getting more as there are so many needing homes. Realistically it would be crazy for me as I have two in a one bedroom flat. In the future when we get a bigger place I want to get more if I can persuade OH.

Two can be great if they get on, they play together and keep each other company when you're out. Also two can be a nightmare and make your life a misery if they don't get on. I've been in both situations. I couldn't choose the second cat I got, with the two that didn't get on but you have the option of going to the rescue and finding hopefully an ideal companion for Bella.   

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
cat broody
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 21:38:04 PM »
Im cat  broody, I really really want another cat,  we have the time money and space for another but dh says no incase it upsets bella. Im spending far to much time looking at cats needing homes. . I love bella to pieces dont get me wrongand I wouldnt want to upset her but im sure we could manage a 2nd. Im sure its like baby broodyness and it'll pass eventually

Link to CatChat