Author Topic: Bruno is constipated...  (Read 1320 times)

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Bruno is constipated...
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 18:45:05 PM »
There are supplements you can add to his food, Paul, but my advice would be to get him checked out by the vet when you can. It could be a number of causes so a medical check up May actually save you money long term. in the mean time, half a pot of natural live yoghurt daily may help soften his poo and help his tummy settle. It's something I give my lot when they are off colour or have any kind of upset tum it really seems to work for most intestinal symptoms.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 11:19:36 AM »
He probably really should see the vet. The fact that he is weeing quite a lot indicates he is getting enough fluids so should not be constipated unless there is another issue causing it.
One of our old cats had this constipation and she also wee'd a lot. She wee'd because of renal disease so because the kidneys were throwing out a lot of her fluid intake as wee she had not enough in the bowel to soften the stools enough to pass through well.
She would also have accidents on the carpets but this was actually because she scooted her bottom on the floor to try and evacuate the bowel.
Once the renal problem was treated it did resolve somewhat.
It may be similar or something else altogether but I would suggest a vet visit is needed.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 00:09:02 AM »
My late boy Woody used to get this; I used either Katelax or Defurr UM - they're both a mix of soft paraffin, cod liver oil and malt extract.  Defurr UM comes in a bigger tube and works out cheaper.

Is Bruno an indoor/outdoor cat - does he have access to grass?  When I moved three times in a year Woody didn't get out much so I used to cut him some which he usually scoffed down.  It would reappear either as furballs or "go through".

If Katelax or Defurr UM haven't worked after three days then I think Bruno should see a vet - this is what my vet told me so I'm passing it on.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 21:44:27 PM »
a good few years ago our elderly cat had constipation and we crumbled half a senokot tablet onto his food. Did the trick :evillaugh:

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 21:09:42 PM »
My Lilli suffers from this occasionally.  She responds well to Whiskas hairball treats. I guess they contain a laxative quality for the passing of the hairballs!! Oily tuna is also accepted as is a little butter. Good luck.
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

Offline peejay1977

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Misty
Bruno is constipated...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 20:56:20 PM »
Hey all, feel slightly guilty only posting for advice but I'm getting a little worried.

Some of you will remember Bruno, the stray I adopted a while back. He's a lovely lad, aside from his food aggression/addiction but all has been well until a few weeks ago when he appeared to be struggling to poo. He would go from his litter to Portia's and back and forth until he finally poo'd but it is in pellet form and VERY hard.

He then started pooing on the carpet almost as though it was a familiar space for him to do it so I've had to take action. His litter isn't dirty so it's not that. His appetite is fine so no worries there. Here are the bear facts :

- He is fed like the others on Whiskas wet food either in gravy or jelly. He's been fine with this up till now.
- He never seems to drink anything, I've never seen him drink at all. BUT, he pee's like a race horse, full on massive wee's.
- I was advised (stupidly) to give him a little bran, which I did and he got diarrhea but we starved him for a day and it solidified and even went normal again, but has now gone rock hard and painful for him again.
- The other 2 are (as always) fine.

I'd really appreciate any advice, I really feel sorry for the little lad and I don't know what to do. The vets will look at him but at the moment I can't afford it and I don't want to have to give him up.

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

Link to CatChat