Author Topic: Clumping litter with minimal tracking - does it exist?!  (Read 5355 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Clumping litter with minimal tracking - does it exist?!
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2013, 18:43:12 PM »
Oh yes it is unspeakably heavy isn't it! That must be why it can absorb 5000% moisture or something.   Glad the initial(ish) impressions are favourable, how are you finding it now after a little longer?

The tracking (or lack of it) is brilliant. Unfortunately Riley continues to tread in his wees and his whole back foot is caked in dried on litter from today  :doh: I'm going to persevere, not least because I have two sacks of it to get through but if he treads in it every day I won't be able to use it long term  :shy:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2013, 13:52:56 PM »
Glad Riley seems to like it. It is heavy and that is one of the reasons I switched from clay (especially as my litter trays are the size of small baths). I switched from this to Oko which I hated for the tracking. So then I used worlds best which I liked but can no longer afford so am using chick crumbs. I liked the golden grey performance wise.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2013, 19:26:12 PM »
Oh yes it is unspeakably heavy isn't it! That must be why it can absorb 5000% moisture or something.   Glad the initial(ish) impressions are favourable, how are you finding it now after a little longer?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2013, 20:09:19 PM »
Thanks for all the input  :thanks: The Golden Grey experiment has begun!

First impressions are that it is ridiculously heavy, a full tray is really quite hard to slide out to de-wee/poo! I ordered two sacks which obviously weigh 28kg in total but even knowing the weight I was shocked at how heavy the box was  :doh:

At the moment I have filled one tray with it as Lu is a sensitive soul so didn't want to put him off weeing. So far Riley loves it and favours that tray over the Oko but I don't think Lu has used it yet.

The first use was a disaster though, Riley must have trodden in the wet wee and the lumps outside the tray were massive - he also had it concreted to his back leg. I persevered though and already in just 24 hours there is a marked difference, the Oko tray ALWAYS has a trail leading away from the tray  spreading right across the room and also associated scatterings in every single room in teh house but the Golden Grey has a little bit on the litter mat and a few granules sprinkled elsewhere but nothing that makes me go  :pull hair:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2013, 17:01:14 PM »
I never change my two trays containing Golden Grey, just once a month transfer the contents so I can clean the trays

I burn the clumps, wee and poo, during the months I have the stove lit, and they just  crumble to dust like the ash
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2013, 14:38:23 PM »
Did you foresee another photo  :evillaugh:

In all honesty, No! But  :thanks:  :naughty:

I reckon 2 1/2 14kg bags look equivalent to a 40L Oko sack and that fills two trays nice and deep and still has a about half left for top ups etc. Think I'll get two bags to start with and then if the swap goes OK I can always order more. That's good to hear it's similar to Oko in the 'cleaning out' stakes too.

I'm sure I ordered a similar litter to try a few years back and for some reason went back to Oko but based on your reviews and pics I think this could be the one for me! I'm actually quite excited to think I might have an Oko free carpet soon. I do have an unopened 40L sack though so I really should use that up first  :tired:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2013, 14:22:09 PM »
Did you foresee another photo  :evillaugh:

I reckon 2 bags would easily deep fill two large trays, I have one large tray and I use about half a bag.  Yes it's the same as Oko in that you only need to pull out the clumps so it doesn't need full cleaning all the time.  It clumps really well so it's very easy to do.  I probably only do a full change about once a month or so, and even then it doesn't really need it.  I've still got 2.5 bags left (how many did I buy??  :Crazy:) so it does seem to work out very economical. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 14:25:19 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2013, 13:28:54 PM »
One more Q (well, two actually!)...

The Oko is sold by volume rather than weight so a large sack is 40 litres. I have two fairly large litter trays that I like to keep nice and deep. Roughly how big is each 14kg bag? Do you think two bags would be enough to fill two big-ish trays?

With the Oko you can just remove the clumps and top up, there's no need to wash the trays out every week and chuck the litter. How often do you do a whole tray change with the Golden Grey?

:rofl: that's just what my kitchen looks like every morning with the oko. I will be interested to see how you get on with the new litter, although I'm not too keen on the idea of a scented litter.

Mine looks even worse than the pic, I just got bored of clicking the mouse to replicate the scattering  :evillaugh: There's a non-scented version on Zooplus too, the golden grey odour says it's perfume free.
Helen I flush the poo too in to a septic tank and haven't blocked any pipes in nearly 7 years here and I do have a fair few more litter trays than most :rofl:

Must admit I thought of you Liz when Riley's frequent toilet trips meant the tracking got worse, I dread to think what your house would look like if you used Oko  :evillaugh:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2013, 13:05:04 PM »
Helen I flush the poo too in to a septic tank and haven't blocked any pipes in nearly 7 years here and I do have a fair few more litter trays than most :rofl:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2013, 12:38:15 PM »
 :rofl: that's just what my kitchen looks like every morning with the oko. I will be interested to see how you get on with the new litter, although I'm not too keen on the idea of a scented litter.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2013, 12:32:47 PM »
Golden Grey master it is then! Good to hear that poo-flushing combined with a rigorous shake is working, think I will do the same and send the Dynorod bill to you if it doesn't go to plan  :evillaugh:

Thanks very much for the offer but you're right, I'm Bucks so nowhere near Essex!

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 12:26:19 PM »
I've never tried any of the others, I just went straight for the master.  I like it because it has a baby powder scent (which doesn't seem to bother the cats) and our bathroom is in the loft conversion so it gets very hot in summer and smells awful very quickly!

You're not supposed to flush the poos, but I confess that I always do  :shify: I just make sure I give them a really good shake in the scoop to get as much excess litter off as possible and then flush them away.  It is so absorbent that I suspect it could temporarily cause a partial blockage if lots of it got flushed away, but I've never had a problem with the few bits. 

I don't think you're anywhere near essex are you?  If you are I could give you some to try out, but I don't think you are...although I'm not sure what evidence I am basing that on  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 12:27:24 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 12:21:57 PM »
I've just bought 100 cartons of Bozita and a 40L sack of Oko just a week or so ago so think I will struggle to get to £75!

A few more questions before I buy...

Have you tried regular golden grey, or the golden grey odour? If so any differences?

Also, do you think it would be OK to flush the poos still, even if they had a bit of the litter stuck to them? Oko is flushable but I don't flush wees, only poos which is very handy.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 12:16:32 PM »
 :rofl: well if you give it a go and get the same results then you can blame it on your boys  :naughty: I was using the sophisticat gold before this and that did used to track as you have depicted.

Yes I get it from zooplus, I think I must have been trying to get to the stock-up code because I seem to have about 5 bags of the stuff sat in a cupboard, it lasts for ages!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 12:18:04 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 12:09:51 PM »
 :thanks: Fluffybuny

My trays are in the spare bedroom so it's carpet rather than hardflooring but I think I'm going to give the Golden Grey a go. Do you get it from Zooplus?

Here is a photo of the same room using Oko  :evillaugh:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 11:23:32 AM »
Sorry me again  :evillaugh: I took you a photo this morning albeit a bit dark.  Obviously with the floor being tiled any bits so tend to move around but I haven't cleaned the floor for over a week ( :shy:) and you can see that the vast majority of the tracking is trapped in the mat.  So I think that it must be one that gets on their feet but falls off very quickly rather than tracking for miles.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 11:28:22 AM by fluffybunny »

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 16:09:42 PM »
I also use golden grey master and one of those rubber litter mats and the vast majority of the tracking stays on the mat.  There is a very light trail makes its way to the bathroom door but it really isn't much.  Certainly far less than there used to be with other litters I have used.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 10:20:41 AM »
Can you post a link to the one you have please?

This is the one I bought - it's lasted for ages: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/deo_accessoires/litter_box_mats/278168

It's difficult to see from the photo but it has lots of raised spikey bits which catch the litter.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 07:50:26 AM »
when I used oko cats best I had terrible problems with tracking and think there is definitely better.  I find chick crumbs better on the tracking front but obviously it does still track and the more litter tray traffic you have the more mess you will have.  A bath mat sounds like a good idea!

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 22:10:32 PM »
I know what you mean I think mine are holding it in their toes on purpose and carrying it into my bed. I find it on their feet sometimes quite a while after they have used their box. I also think they have competition in the night over who can scatter it the farthest across the kitchen. 

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 21:17:47 PM »
Material type with rubber back doesn't move as far as the just material ones ;D

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 21:06:35 PM »
I bought a mat from home bargains, for 79p, I use it it the bedroom where little Ollies litter tray is, that seems to work better than the rubber litter tray mats. I might get some more, can be popped in the wash as well.

It's in the pet section.

So please all is going ok in your house.

Nicky x

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 19:10:04 PM »
I'm currently using the Golden Grey Master, which smells of baby powder - it does it's job though, as that's all I can smell even after the trays have been used several times overnight

I do keep the litter very deep though, to give every opportunity for thorough burying of nasty whiffs :evillaugh:

I think the problem with tracking is that paws are perfect recepticles for the secreting of pieces of litter, and Oko seems to be the perfect size for the job - because Tosker rushes out of the tray he tends to scatter the Golden Grey near the tray, but Tiffany, who climbs out of the tray after performing and covers her leavings with a paw from outside, never scatters at all
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 19:03:38 PM »
Do you mean a fabric one that goes outside the bath or the rubber type that go inside? Haven't tried either but willing to give anything a go!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 18:56:16 PM »
Helen a long shot but have you tried a full sized bathmat in front of the litter tray it will take most of the dust and off spill from paws - I use rubber backed ones and they are easily shaken outside and washed to

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 18:37:21 PM »
I used to use Natures Gold a while back, I switched back to Oko as it started to get really expensive compared to Oko. I found that still tracked quite a bit, not as bad as Oko and just the pieces were bigger to pick up! Just had a look on Zooplus and there's a 20l + 5l free offer for £18.99 so might give it another go.

Don't think I've tried Golden Grey - jsut looked on Zooplus and there's Golden Grey, Golden Grey master, Golden Grey odour, Golden white and Golden Pine - which one do you use Kay?

What mats do you use? I bought a really good rubber one from Zooplus - much better than the thing I got from PAH, it catches nearly everything (although it hurts like  :censored: if you stand on it with bare feet!)

These are the mats I have... http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/deo_accessoires/litter_box_mats/98041

Can you post a link to the one you have please?

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 18:14:26 PM »
I switched from Oko to Golden Grey because of the tracking - I even found bits in my bed -  and find it much better, although there is still a bit to sweep up - but it is very fine and the odd bit is actually quite hard to spot

excellent at clumping too, whole tray never needs changing, and cats really do seem to like the very fine texture
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline onyx

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Fonzie and Chloe, plus Amber and Izzie the doggies
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 18:13:31 PM »
what about cats best nature gold? (same people as oko plus)   it doesnt  clump as well, but because they are wood style pellets they dont track as much?

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter/biodegradable/bio_clumping/43107

i personally mix that and the oko plus mixed together.
 :)

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 17:50:12 PM »
I'd love to know too, I use wood pellets which are great for (not) tracking but obviously don't clump.

What mats do you use? I bought a really good rubber one from Zooplus - much better than the thing I got from PAH, it catches nearly everything (although it hurts like  :censored: if you stand on it with bare feet!)
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Clumping litter with minimal tracking - does it exist?!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 17:37:02 PM »
What with Riley's medication he drinks a full bowl of water each day now, I measured it when he first came home and it's between 350ml - 450ml each day  :Crazy:

I could cope with the Oko Cats Best tracking when the litter tray was being used a 'normal' amount of times each day but he probably goes 7-8 times a day and the tracking is driving me mad. Within 12 hours of hoovering there is litter absolutely everywhere :doh:

I have hooded trays and litter tray mats which help a bit but I really need to switch so if anyone has suggestions of a clumping litter with minimal tracking please do say!

Link to CatChat