Author Topic: Cat Carrier  (Read 11333 times)

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
Re: Cat Carrier
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2014, 19:44:20 PM »
Still love our cabrio, bella hates being in a carrier but its definitely easier to put her in through the top then through the door. Shes so noisy she does love looking through the door and does seem a bit calmer when she can see out

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2014, 20:19:25 PM »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-Large-Carrier-Basket-White/dp/B004VKSTGW

I have one of these put is very heavy to pick up with Parki in :evillaugh:

It has lasted a good few years and they seem to settle in it :shify:

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2014, 19:12:09 PM »
are you happy with the one you've got?

Yes, I am ;D.  If you can pick a cat up it's a lot easier to drop them into a top-opening carrier.  There is a knack to holding the cat down while closing the lid and tucking in any stray legs or tails at the same time ;) but you soon pick that up.  It's also a lot easier to get them out - if they don't pop out of their own accord they are accessible for lifting.

I didn't have any problems ordering from Metalcote - I got a white carrier with a tray - and from memory it turned up within a week. 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2014, 18:53:08 PM »
I have to pick up Misa to shove him in the dome ands then he cries pityfully for 15 miles . He is then panting and terrifiede with the vet who is so gentle with him, cos he is so terrified pf people.

Sasa I have to trap and use the front door od dome after shutting every door, I cover it with a towel and eventually sdhe walks in.

I may have to go up and down stairs a few times with the dome cos she is so much quicker than me, she freezes at the vet.

Have had both 9 years yesterday but their previous life was so bad its stayed with them  :(

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2014, 18:27:46 PM »
Those look good Francis and a reasonable price as well, are you happy with the one you've got? Squeezing them into the front of the carrier last time I got badly mauled and don't want to go through that again. 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 13:11:15 PM »
i have a version of the dome one on that link but think bigger, it came with both late birmans in and now used got 7kg misa and 6kg sasa, seperatly!

i thgink its bigger cos misa can sit up and he is huge but need to check cos need a second, well a new one and that price is good

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 12:43:14 PM »
I use the top-opening wire carriers.  Woody was a big boy - long-bodied and almost 7 kilos - and the prospect of pushing him into a front opening carrier was waaay to daunting :tired:.  Also, I had to use taxis to get him to the vet so I needed something secure that would take his weight. 

I got a second one when James and Christopher arrived which I got from Metalcote http://www.metalcote.co.uk/products.html.  I was lucky to get Eleanor's carrier secondhand from an Ebay seller (a little black number, just what every girl needs ;)).

think they should really last a lifetime - maybe that is crazily old fashioned of me!

Nope ;D

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 07:01:54 AM »
I love our cabrio, but I agree - it's not always easy to get the top half closed again when you open it that way.  Still the most practical carrier we've ever had though. 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 23:37:57 PM »
I have cabrio too for Lupin but never open top cos just too hard. Took me ages to put together

Lupin knows its his carrier and just walks in but he is too tall to sit up in it anymore.

The vet laughs cos its pink!!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 19:14:01 PM »
I've got 2 Cabrios, so know what you mean - I put the cat in the top with only one half open, and once the cat is in I bring the other half up, and then close it using both hands - I  sometimes have to remove claws from various places but it always works in the end

having said that, I have stopped using one of the Cabrios I have, as the whole door bit doesn't fit very well, and I'm afraid it could come off
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 18:01:26 PM »
I have at long last brought a carrier as cats are due for boosters next month. I got the cabrio cat carrier unfortunately after putting it together I'm not happy with it. It seem quite flimsy and the top is going to be impossible to close while trying to hold a struggling cat. The top just doesn't fit together easily and the clips are awkward. Has anyone else had this problem or have I just got a faulty one?

I really want one that I can put cats into easily from the top. I've seen these wicker ones  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Traditional-Willow-Wicker-Vintage-Style-Rectangular-Pet-Carrier-Travel-Basket-/261314480442?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Cats&hash=item3cd78e893a
It reminds me of when I was young and we used to take our cat to the vets in Dads fishing basket. It actually worked very well.

Or a cage something like this http://www.monsterpetsupplies.co.uk/p-15900-wire-cat-basket-cat-carrier.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=google-shopping&gclid=CjwKEAjwjN2eBRDbyPWl0JLY5lYSJACPo0Ui_W7YampHV5RJzS5U9CL9IqzJY79r93jRADGrTUX-3hoCNAXw_wcB

I'm actually starting to think the sherpa one I have is really well made and sturdy in comparison to the ones around now. I paid a lot for it but I don't mind as think they should really last a lifetime - maybe that is crazily old fashioned of me!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 20:03:46 PM »
Thank you Mary..........much appreciated  ;D ;D

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 19:42:07 PM »
I meant sit up  :rofl:

Long, tall, short, fat, thin ................  all gorgeous  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Mary

P.S - well done with the pic of the cat doing YMCA - it's gorgeous - I might be tempted  ;)
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 17:51:06 PM »
Not stand up...........sit up lol...........Lupin is way smaller tham Sasa and Misa he just bloomin long. If he would eat properly he would be so much more gorgeous!

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 17:20:12 PM »
Sue I bought mine in a pet shop and they only had pink, which is ideal for my Bonnie. 

Gill I didn't read all the thread properly so didn't realise you wanted a giant size one  :evillaugh:  I see what you mean about wanting Lupin to be able to stand up. 

Maybe have a chat with the guys who look after the lions and tigers at the zoo  ;)

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 13:57:14 PM »
I will have to check the height of the cage Sue and it bloomin wouldnt fit my large cats !!!

I love that one Mary and bought it specially for lupin but he cant sit up anymore and he bangs his little head.

i like all the cats to be able to lie and sit up as we have an hour journey i car each way.

i have an even bigger cage, very old and needs replacing, for misa and sasa, its the one both birmans came in together! very heavy and i currently struggle with 7kg of cat in!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 11:06:32 AM »

Mary, that's the one we have too.  (Except ours is orange!)   ;D

Is a good carrier, but Gill already has one and that's the one Lupin is outgrowing.......

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 11:02:03 AM »
This is the one I have for Bonnie:

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/dog-supplies/dog-beds/dog-carriers-and-dog-crates/dog-carriers/cabrio-carrier-for-cats-and-toy-dogs-pink-grey-and-white.html

It's really big and the top lifts off  or you can just open the top with the handles or you can open the see through door at the front.

It also has food and drink  dishes attached for her Dreamies  ;)

Mary

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 07:10:00 AM »

Gill - something like this perhaps, suited to large cats?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B004VKWT5E/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#RXS2CQ8XCI24F

You'd need to put a base in,  and am not sure how easy it would be to carry, but certainly size wise appears to get favourable reviews from owners of large cats.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 23:08:18 PM »
No scruffing here and need a solid carrier where whole end opens

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 21:54:36 PM »
Prefer top opening ones here as have difficulty handling Billy Whiz and have to scruff the poor lad and plonk him in.  Wouldn't stand a chance getting him in front end. 

Also dead easy to get kitties out of carrier at the vet.

Offline Laurensimm

• Adult Cat
Cat Carrier
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 21:28:30 PM »
I've got two pet carriers from jolleys that are good - they flat pack so save space and the ends zip up. There's loads of room in them. My two big boys can even sit up in them. They have flaps on the sides that can either be rolled down or up and secured with Velcro. They were about £24 each but they are great!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 13:52:40 PM »

We got the orange one of these, and I love it.  You can thread the car seat belt through it for additional security when travelling by car, and you can either fully open up the top (a bit fiddly but you get used to it) or open the door in the conventional manner.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140853430749?device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=54&ff19=0

Ross weighs 5kg and he fits in it with room to spare.

Definitely shop around as to price if you like it - this is one of the cheapest prices I've seen - some places charge almost £50 for the same carrier.

I have the pink one for Lupi and he cant sit up any more and bangs his head but its the only carrier he has known and loves it BUT now need something bigger............any ideas please

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 16:24:04 PM »
Just to say that I have always had more success with putting cats into the basket back-first. Put the carrier up to the hind legs and apply steady pressure to the chest and kitty has little option other than to back in...

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 20:58:03 PM »
We have a catit one and love it bought it thinking we'd get another big cat and you could fit about 20 bellas in it as its so roomy

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 20:30:44 PM »
Definitely another vote for the Catit ones - an absolute godsend as Sky is too, erm, rounded to be pushed through the normal front opening ones and Robbie's legs seem to go in different directions when trying to bundle him into a front opening one.  Top opening Catit means dropping them in and then shutting the top up, and never had a mishap yet.

It was tricky to put it together properly but now fits fine.  Is quite heavy with a rounded cat in it :)

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 20:18:47 PM »
I've got 2 of the carriers from the range, I have had them for 4 years now, a couple of moves and numerous vet trips and they are still good. No problems with escapees.

Charlie is 6kg now so I bought a fold up bigger carrier, which we can then keep indoors.

Wordy did get out of that, but it was my fault for having my hand in the carrier.

The Cabrio I always liked the look of but they would be too heavy with a huge cuddly cat in.

If you have a Jollyes near you, the Cabrios were a very good price in there, as was the fold up one.

Offline beowulf

• Adult Cat
  • Willow and Jessie's provider
  • Slave to: Willow and Jessie-Moo
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 17:13:05 PM »
when our last cat died we gave away our carrier as we didnt think we would need one for a long time......then panicked as when willow came a long we needed one in a hurry

we found one of these at The Range

http://www.therange.co.uk/skudo-2-medium-open-top-pet-carrier/cats/the-range/fcp-product/8783

was a bit of a pain to put together but it seems very sturdy

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 16:42:31 PM »
not the actual door, but the side the door is in - if that makes sense

it comes away from the two long sides - not completely, but enough to worry me, though I still use it for Trigger, who is the lightest of my three

the pink one doesn't do it though, so maybe I was unlucky

I'd be inclined to buy from Amazon rather than EBay, as it's much easier to return stuff, and the price is the same - also lots of comments on there
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 15:23:06 PM »
Thanks, they look like just the thing I'm after. I like the idea of being able to secure it with the seat belt.

Kay do you mean the clip to hold the door is a problem?

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 14:03:44 PM »
I have an orange one and a pink one, and the cats seem to like them - top opening carriers are so much easier        for  owner and vet

but one of them does not fit very well around the door, and I keep having to thump it to get it back in place - I don't know if a determined cat could force the front off, but I do worry about it

I can't use them for Tiffany though, as they are heavy and she + it are too much for my back, so have got one of these for vet visits with her http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PET-STROLLER-PUSHCHAIR-FOR-PETS-IN-RED-COLOUR-/280969370368?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Toasters&hash=item416b145b00

the carrier is detachable and is both roomy and top loading

not cheap though
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 13:49:48 PM »
I will have to look into one of those, our Maggie has escaped from every carrier we own...leading to some rather scary situations!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 13:37:36 PM »

We got the orange one of these, and I love it.  You can thread the car seat belt through it for additional security when travelling by car, and you can either fully open up the top (a bit fiddly but you get used to it) or open the door in the conventional manner.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140853430749?device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=54&ff19=0

Ross weighs 5kg and he fits in it with room to spare.

Definitely shop around as to price if you like it - this is one of the cheapest prices I've seen - some places charge almost £50 for the same carrier. 

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
Cat Carrier
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 13:33:25 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good cat carrier I have one at the moment which is pretty good it's made of a thick webbing and looks like a bag but it'a bit small when trying to get a cat through the opening. It looks like this http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753707

I know this is a problem with all of them as cats grow to an enormous size as soon as they see the cat carrier.  :rofl:
As I have two cats I really need to get another carrier. The main thing that worries me is some of the doors don't seem that secure and you hear of cats escaping. Anyone found anything that's really good?   

Link to CatChat