Author Topic: Hello :)  (Read 13376 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Hello :)
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 18:18:00 PM »
 :need pics: :need pics:   :evillaugh:

Offline amber83

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mischka, Milan, Frankie and our new little one Nala
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 16:35:57 PM »
They've not been introduced yet, the other cats we have spend most of their time outdoors. We're going to introduce them this evening, I have my older brother visiting at the moment so once he and my mum have left I think that's when we'll try to round them all up.
She's really good with the litter tray, not one accident so far and she hasn't even spilled any litter from digging! She's eating well too, both dry and wet food she's enjoying and she drinks well too so that's good. I'm glad I saw her find her water bowl.
As far as I know, she's not been wormed or had any flea treatment. It completely slipped my mind to ask yesterday, I'll ask my neighbour though as she'll know or be able to ask for me. I'll have to book her an appointment soon, I'll give her a little more time to settle in, but she seems very at home already.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 09:26:26 AM »
12 weeks is a nice age  for her to leave her mum.  Mum will have had time to teach her how to behave.  Hopefully she is litter trained OK and I think my next stop would be the vet for a check up altho you may want to give her a little more time to settle ..... if it's possible for her to settle any more than she already is  :)

How reliable do you think her former "owners" were as regards flea treatment/worming?   :shify:

I assume she is eating OK now that her siblings are not there to stop her?  Little and often at that age.  At least 4 smallish meals a day if possible. 

Am so jealous  :)  Looking forward to pics of this little sweetie  :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 09:01:40 AM »

So pleased your little girl is home with you now   :wow:  I suspect she may soon set about rectifying her small size with a good nosh.   :Luv:

Hope the boys and frankie are impressed with their new sibling?

Offline amber83

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 08:35:16 AM »
Oh my gosh ferrets are pure mischief! So much fun though. He dug a massive hole in the bottom of my sofa and then stole anything within his reach and hid it all there. He was very disappointed when I discovered his hiding place haha
Well, our little black beauty turned up yesterday early evening. She is gorgeous! So tiny, she's 12 weeks but her siblings wouldn't let her eat and bullied her, so she's quite skinny. She seems to have found her feet quickly, very affectionate too. She settled really well in her bed, hubby put a hot water bottle underneath for her and she just laid there purring away. She nipped my finger when I first held her lol I'm really surprised how comfortable she seems already, right at home :D

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 21:21:13 PM »
I have a black cat, Jonny who is very skilled at tripping me up  :shocked: i do like black cats but my real faves are the black and white ones, again there tends to be alot of those left in rescues too  :'( black cats are definately naughty  :evillaugh:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 13:48:51 PM »
I am currently slave to a very handsome back chap, he's not quite 2 yet but has settled down tremendously in the 10 months we have had him. He has chewed through the lead for my laptop though - cost me about £60 to replace it! He's chewing less too now. He is my first all-black and I adore him, I really don't understand why people don't want them  :'(

I do regret that I missed out on Alfie's baby days, I wish you loads of fun with your new kittin.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 12:36:20 PM »

Ah yes, given that when Flynn was a youngster he disappeared up our chimney, I should've remembered that!  :evillaugh:

Tumble dryers and washing machines too - always keep their doors closed when not in use.  Move any breakable ornaments or pot plants.  Beware lepaing kittens too - Ross nearly had Daddy P's nose off once when he attempted a leap that was a tad ambitious for his - then - little legs.   :evillaugh:

I hope your little dark Goddess shows up today and you aren't kept hanging on.   :hug: :hug:  (Afraid I'd be round knocking on the door by now, demanding handover!  :rofl:)

[Ferrets are fascinating creatures, aren't they?    Like greased lightning too, so if you can cope with a ferret, you'll be pretty good with a kitten  ;)]

Offline amber83

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 11:57:42 AM »
Thanks! That's good to know, you read so much conflicting info on the net.
I can imagine they can be good at a disappearing act! Will have to keep eyes wide open.

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 10:02:38 AM »
Black kittens have a habit of 'disappearing' into nowhere if they are sitting in a dark spot, I must have spent hours searching for Noodle when he was a kitten only to find him sitting somewhere dark  :doh:

No need to let a kitten have a season, quite the opposite spaying is best done before they start coming into season.

Offline amber83

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 08:47:16 AM »
Thankfully, we don't have a chimney but I had that problem with the ferret I had in an old house. We moved and it didn't cross my mind, not being used to having a chimney I didn't think. That is, until the little rascal tried to climb up it! Luckily I managed to grab him before he escaped! There aren't many places in this house for a kitten to escape, but I keep looking to make sure I've not overlooked anything.
I think she's quite young, I will have to ask my neighbour again but I'm sure she said she's about eight weeks.
I've read you get them neutered at 4-6 months, is that right? Are you supposed to let them go into season once before you get them neutered? I'd heard that somewhere, but always having had adult cats already neutered I'm not too sure on that.
I'm on iPad right now and don't have my cat pics on here, so will have to wake up the laptop to upload some :)
Wow, eight cats, they must be a fun handful!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 07:43:20 AM »
If you have any probs posting pics, feel free to email them to me and I'll post em for ya  :)

RosellaMoggy@gmail.com

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 07:41:23 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs Amber and hope tittentat cat arrives safely today.  How old is she?

We had 4 cats once upon a time too  :shify:  We have 8 now, all rescues, all neutered and ........... 4 of em black  :innocent:  All completely different though.  Black iz gud  :catluv: 

Young & black iz also norty and loves to chew so Sue's advice re wires and stuff iz spot on.  If you have chimneys, suggest you block em kwik  :shify:

We have "coped with" 5 kittens over the past few years and they worry the hell out of you  :shocked: and delight  ;D in equal proportion.  Our youngest couple were two years old last April so we are starting to relax a bit now  :evillaugh:

Offline amber83

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 20:20:29 PM »
Thank you for the advice :D
I used to have a ferret some years ago and had to ferret-proof our home, and hide all our stuff as he would steal everything! I'm glad I've had to proof a house before otherwise I'd be totally clueless about that!
I don't understand why anyone would find them unattractive, I think they're beautiful. I think my favourite colour cat of all are black cats, I think they're stunning.
I've not chosen a name yet, I've had a few ideas but I'm always indecisive. Unfortunately it doesn't look like she'll be with us tonight as something has come up with one of their kids, so looking at tomorrow now. But that's ok, as I've got to get the kids settled now and there's no way they'd be settling down if a kitten arrived now!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 20:17:26 PM »
 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Ooooh how exciting a new baby  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

I would suggest checking out the following section ... it has loads of really useful guides:  http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/board,43.0.html
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 18:59:00 PM »

Not just in America either Amber - unfortunately it's true of the UK too - it's generally harder to find a home for a black cat as they're not considered attractive (for some bizarre reason!)

You have some fun in store, if this is your first kitten, that's for sure.   :evillaugh:

Some sensible tips are to make sure you can "kitten-proof" your home insofaras possible.  Try to think like a tiny kitten - where would you go, what would make good hiding places or exciting places for exploration?  Are they safe?  What cables, wires etc could pose a hazard?  Are there any gaps or holes through which a kitten could squeeze?   :shify: If so, can you block them up albeit temporarily.

Never leave the loo seat up, or a bath unattended.    :doh: Watch out for stairs (not our first kitten by any means but just two years ago when Mac was a young un he slipped through the banister rails and fell around 6 feet, only too have his fall broken by our sofa, but I can tell you my heart stopped) and tell everyone to keep an eye open for a lightning quick figure beneath your feet - kittens can get badly injured if they're trodden on. 

Keep doors and windows closed when the kitten's about, or make sure you have mechanisms on windows to prevent a kitten squeezing through (they can access incredibly small spaces).

Make sure the other cats have a place they can retreat to, if kitten playtime gets too much.  Introductions should be made carefully out of deference to your existing cats.  Most of the time they'll administer swift discipline to any unruly youngster, but seldom inflict damage, but they will appreciate having a space they can relax into without being ambushed by the new kitten.  :innocent:

Meals should be small and regular.  Four to five small meals a day are about right, although some kittens will eat more, and some less.  Keep an eye on your new arrival to make sure she's eating and drinking without assistance.  Show her where the litter tray is and pop her on it after she's enjoyed a meal - it will encourage her to "go".

Ross used to use his tray, then scrape litter over nothing at all, leaving his poos proudly displayed to the world.  :evillaugh:  We had to show him what to do the first few times, in terms of covering it over.  He's still a bit hit and miss with this even as a fine young adult cat.  :innocent:

A kitten check at your vet is a good idea - he can make sure she's in good overall health, and you can arrange for her vaccinations and discuss when best to book her in for neutering in the next few months. 

Above all, enjoy the fun, laughter and tender cuddling moments which will present themselves.  Having a kitten can be one of the best things in the world, especially as you watch her character develop and see the promise of the yong cat she'll become very quickly.

I think she sounds like she's fallen on her feet to get a home with you, and hope Frankie Mischka and Milan all find her as adorable as I'm sure you will.  Have you thought of a name yet? 

Offline amber83

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 18:29:05 PM »
Thank you :)
I'm a little nervous as I've never had a kitten before! In fact, I've only ever held a kitten once, ever. Our old neighbours had beautiful kittens, one of them was this beautiful creamy/grey colour, absolute stunner! The others were all black and white.
I can't work out why on earth this one has had such a hard time finding a loving home. I read that in the US black cats are the most commonly euthanised because of their colour! I was shocked. Makes me sad. If I could, I'd give every cat a loving home. When I went to see the cats at the place I adopted my two from it was so tough to decide who to take home, I couldn't take them all, but my two just stood out. They'd been mistreated, and had been given a rather large dose of a dog flea treatment that caused them to lose most of their fur. They were very underfed as well. Milan was all over me and Mischka was hiding bless his heart. They both made a full recovery and regained all their fur after a short time of me bringing them home and they are such a comical pair. Love them <3

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 17:58:30 PM »
Hi Amber  :welcome: to Purrs  :) How exciting having a new fluffy  ;D Looking forward to seeing some pics of them all.

Offline amber83

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 17:32:56 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome :D
I forgot to say the two brothers are called Mischka and Milan. Milan is the bruiser, he's my baby and always tried to climb on me whenever I sit down. Mischka is a lovely boy, so nervous but adores our kids. He had an accident a while ago and we were told he'd have to have his tail amputated because he had nerve damage in two places, but miraculously, he made a full recovery! His tail is now in full working order but he has to be careful with it.
Can't wait for the new arrival, haven't yet decided on a name. The kids have no idea, my eldest has been off school today because of nose bleeds and hubby brought all this stuff back for our new arrival, he still has no clue it's gone straight over his head haha!
I'll have to find some pics of them :D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 16:11:58 PM »
Always loved cats, I find them therapeutic :D

You're gonna fit right in here then Amber.   :evillaugh:  A very big warm Purrs Welcome to you, Frankie,  the two little bruvvers and to your imminent arrival.

Piccies would be lovely if you have some?  :wow:  We love piccies of cats on here, we do.   ;)  And updates - updates on new kittens, on cats with cattitude, cats with a love of kids and cats with Big bruiser written on their T shirt.  bet you can't wait for the time to fly past now.   :welcome:

Offline amber83

• Adult Cat
Hello :)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 15:27:41 PM »
Hi!
I'm Amber, I have three cats. One is my husbands cat which he brought with him when he moved down here with me, her name is Frankie and she's about four years old I think. She's very clever and has an attitude on her. She enjoys climbing the curtains! My two are brothers, black and white boys which I adopted in September 2010, they're about 3-4 years old now. One is very nervous but prefers spending time with the kids we have, his brother is a bruiser, lovely boy and laid back.
Today we're being given a black female kitten, the owners don't want her and can't seem to find her a home so our neighbour asked us if we wanted her. We bought her some essentials earlier today and she should be with us in a couple of hours. Very excited!
Always loved cats, I find them therapeutic :D

Link to CatChat