Author Topic: Hi from Jem, Honey and Bumble  (Read 11711 times)

Offline A Cat Called Dog

• Kitten
  • Jem Vanston, Author of 'A Cat Called Dog'
  • Slave to: Honey and Bumble
Re: Hi from Jem, Honey and Bumble
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2013, 08:36:53 AM »
Yes Sue P - proud of the book (it's always hard writing fiction - it's a long, slow, gruelling process what with the rewrites etc). Also so pleased my 88 year old mum loves A Cat Called Dog - I rushed to write and publish it because she is losing her sight (she has one eye badly affected by a cataract now).

Very frustrating too though, as I have no PR company behind me or expensive marketing campaign. Oddly, Waterstones seems not to be stocking it anywhere either, even though I know people have been in locally and asked for it. No good business sense - if they local branch had had it in stock, they'd have sold 5 copies at least.

Anyway, with a book like this, one can only rely on word of mouth and recommendations. When I get time, I shall be working on a children's version for 8-12 year olds (which I'll submit to agents/publishers). Also, maybe a sequel - I have half thought that through in my head.

It's all a question of time though. I run a small editing business (despite my typos here!), am a part-time carer, and also am almost finished with a major edit of another novel - the one I put on hold to write A Cat Called Dog. That's a dark satire on the TV industry and more like my first novel Crump (which is published with the writer name PJ Vanston).

All very frustrating, but that's what writing is!

I always have Honey and Bumble to make me laugh and smile if I ever get really fed up. I always find cats so funny. They're like little furry happy bombs!  :wow:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2013, 07:14:14 AM »

Well done Jem - you must feel rightly proud!  :) :hug:

Offline A Cat Called Dog

• Kitten
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2013, 15:28:13 PM »
By the way, just to say that A Cat Called Dog is in a couple of magazines now - Cat World (October - a great review) - and Your Cat (November). Not sure if I'm allowed to say that here, but there we are!

As for cat noises - I have been trying to find a soundfile somewhere online, maybe a database of miaows and purrs etc. Anyone know if there is one? I did hear a woman on Radio 4 a couple of years ago talking about cat language (which she gets paid to research at some university) but can't remember her name.

It'd be fun to hear cats online, as well as look at pictures - though I do draw the line at smelly-vision!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 15:28:43 PM by A Cat Called Dog »

Offline A Cat Called Dog

• Kitten
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 15:25:15 PM »
Yes, some cats have very funny miaows.

I remember when I was a kid we rented a house in Wales for a holiday and looked after the owner's cat too - a Siamese who baa-ed just like a little lamb or sheep!

We have a cat now (Bumble, in the photo) who has a huge bushy tail which he (actually a she, but behaves like a tom) wags constantly. He also hisses a lot, for no reason in particular.

I wonder if anyone has compiled a data-base of cat miaows. It would have to be a big one!

Our cats growl like dogs when really unhappy, but no yapping or barking!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 07:19:09 AM »

Not here either Jem, but one of our neighbours has a big white cat who says: "Oh, noe, noe, noe, noe, noe......." and "Why?Why? Why? Why? Why?"

He's a funny thing, because you dont see him very often - he prefers to snooze int he house a lot now he's getting on in years, but then suddenly you hear this very human sound declaiming about life behind you and think "Whoah!! Dearie me!  What a fright!" as you leap out of your skin and your heart begins pounding.    I imagine if he were human, he'd be Topol.    :shify:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 00:24:33 AM »
No. but I have a very large dog who thinks he is a cat (and that my smaller cat is terrifyingly intimidating). I did have a cat once (Reynard) who would play fetch, and when returning home from his expeditions would bring me a small pebble or twig as a gift ... :Luv2:

Offline A Cat Called Dog

• Kitten
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 13:53:31 PM »
Doing 2 radio interviews today: 3-3.30 live in BBC Radio Wales; and I did a recorded interview with a Spanish radio station (in English) Talk Radio Europe this morning for their bookshow (that will be broadcast in the next month).

So lots of talking about cats today!

I wonder if anyone out there does have a cat who yaps and barks a bit like a dog. There are so many different miaows from cats, I know, just from the 10 we have had over the years!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 06:56:58 AM »

Yep, life is short.  No point in "waiting for the right moment" when you can create the moment itself.

Offline A Cat Called Dog

• Kitten
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 09:57:58 AM »
I actually put another novel (a dark satire on the TV industry) on hold to write and publish A Cat Called Dog.

I been thinking about it and 'writing in my head' for around 4 years: that is probably why it just flowed when I started writing on 5 July last year and I finished the first 50,000 word draft in just 27 days (I think the 7th draft got published - it took me 6 months to rewrite, revise and correct the drafts). I knew the characters so well by then because they'd been living and miaowing in my head for 4 years by then!

Anyway, my mum's eye condition made me drop the TV book and write and publish the cat book, so she could see it. I thought 'It's now or never' - but I didn't sing it though!

Makes you realise though: if you don't do something now, when will you do it? I put so much off for so many years - but really, why do we all do that? Life is short, after all.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 12:33:05 PM »

How lovely Jem - what a beautiful thing to do for your Mum.    :hug:

Offline A Cat Called Dog

• Kitten
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 10:11:02 AM »
Last week, one of our cats - Honey Cat - was on TV (with me and my old mum!)- so that's a first! ITV Wales News (we were interviewed about an NHS issue):

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/story/2013-07-26/wales-biggest-hospital-dangerous/

They filmed footage that will be used on the national News at Ten next week too (I think Wednesday or whenever Ann Clwyd MP's report on the NHS complaints system comes out!).

I can also be seen looking through A Cat Called Dog in the 'establishing shot' - which is the first time I have ever seen a book of mine on TV too.

Bumble (our black cat) shouldn't be too full of envy - he is in the photo used online and in the press, for example, Local paper coverage:

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/shaggy-dog-story/story-19617958-detail/story.html#axzz2b60KzCB0

I don't think we've ever had cats be so famous! They are taking it well though, and not letting it go to their paws...

Offline A Cat Called Dog

• Kitten
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 11:00:44 AM »
Oh yes, Sam. At first, when we got these two last August, I thought Bumble (confident, bold, tom-like female) would be dominant, and Honey (timid, traumatised, easily spooked) would be passive - but not a bit of it! These two females are equal - though Bumble will make more noise and fuss and bother, whereas Honey will just sit and watch, keeping her feelings to herself, but not budging an inch!

Last year both cats went missing, within 3 days of each other (maybe we let them out too soon, after 5 weeks or so, though they stayed a month after that! or maybe neighbours took a shine to them and took them in - they had no collars then but were microchipped).

Bumble (the noisier one) came back first. A week later, Honey came back, and Bumble spent the next week hissing and grumbling - she wanted to be an only cat I think. Specifically there is one box on top of which Honey slept every day; Bumble took over when she was alone here; but Honey reclaimed the position on her return and would not budge!

Honey cat is a dark horse, if that makes sense!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 18:39:39 PM »

Bumble also initially resented not being the only cat so hissed at Honey a lot - but she just stares him (I mean her) out, and won't give an inch of ground from her favourite box (though she does run when Bumble chases, because he can be a bit rough!)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  Sounds like Honey has plenty of Tortie-tude (it's like attitude but something only torties have  ;) ).  I remember when I brought my little torties into the house ... she was greeted by yowling and grumbling from Abysinnian male and all she did was sniff him, bop him on the head and then saunter off with her tail in the air!  She is the only one who has ever stood up to him and he was completely shocked.  It was at that point I understood Tortie-tude!   :rofl:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline A Cat Called Dog

• Kitten
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 06:51:32 AM »
Yes, Honey was very traumatised (not sure how many days she was hiding under the floorboards of her former owner's flat before the RSPCA coaxed her out). She is very much in fine fettle now. Still a little wary - understandably. But that's no bad thing!

Bumble is bold as any tom - and fierce with it. A great hisser is Bumble! And the local cats have got the message that if they stray into our little garden, they will be shown no mercy!

Bumble also initially resented not being the only cat so hissed at Honey a lot - but she just stares him (I mean her) out, and won't give an inch of ground from her favourite box (though she does run when Bumble chases, because he can be a bit rough!)

Honey Cat is extremely elegant and athletic; Bumble is a bit clumsy really, hence the name (these cats had different names when we got them from Cats Protection, but we soon changed them - Bumble's name came first, from the character and the coat: 'Bumble Bee', you see, and then 'Honey Bee'... So many cats called Honey - and one older version of the same torti-tabby cross lives just round the corner. But hey, one can't always be original!

Not sure if these two are related. Cats can be, even if they look completely different.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 17:04:53 PM »
I'm glad that you have 2 additions to your family, Jem. Poor Honey, it sounds as if she really had a bad time before she found you  :'(

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 12:25:30 PM »

Lol!   probably just as well you wont be on a channel 5 documentary about your lovely furry coat Jem - you'd have lots of fan mail, undoubtedly, but probably a lot of people wishing to have a stroke, which might be a mixed blessing!  :evillaugh:

So, it's Bumble The Bold and Honey The Reticent?  (Honey - it seems like a sound strategy to me treasure - always good to have a hidey place, just in case  ;))

Sounds like a very sensible decision with regard to your choice of these two beauties, with whom I hope you have many many happy years ahead together.   :)

Offline A Cat Called Dog

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 12:09:17 PM »
Bumble is a very bold cat, but that semi-longhaired coat makes her/him suffer in the heat (like me actually, but I obviously have not got a natural furry coat! If I did I would have been on a Channel 5 documentary of course).

When we got our two cats last year from Cats Protection, we were looking at all the various cats - we didn't want tiny kittens (mainly in case of causing my mother falls), and some cats were over 10 years old (which is fine, but with our previous wonderful cats we'd had 2 years of heavy vets bills with ageing ailments), so these two, under 2 years old, seemed ideal.

Bumble was bold - coming to greet us and miaow with tail up when we stepped into the cat cage enclosure.

Honey, the small torti-tabby cross hid in her plastic box - she had been traumatised after her previous owner (a drug dealer) was raided by police, and had hidden under floor boards for days. She hid when she arrived with us too - but eventually came out of her shell, though she still gets easily startled (it was she whose ears were twitching in a worried way at the airshow, more than Bumble, though neither enjoyed it!)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 07:08:42 AM »

:evillaugh: :evillaugh:  Yep, low flying aircraft aren't something cats generally enjoy.  Hope your good weather continues, but that Bumble can find somewhere to keep her cool - and she does sound like a very cool cat.  ;)

Offline A Cat Called Dog

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 16:22:14 PM »
Just to clear up any uncertainly, I am a 'he'; our two cats are female but we call one 'he' most of the time because she's so tom-like (we have previously always had at least one tom cat; so maybe she is making up for that now we have 2 females!).

Thanks for the welcomes. I have been too busy and a bit ill so have not visited for a few days.

Such hot weather here - making Bumble (the she-he cat in my photo with me) very grumpy indeed. Plus we have had an airshow here in Swansea yesterday and today - making cat ears twitch a lot (and sometimes making little cat legs run as fast as they can into the house as a giant noisy bird called a Hawker Harrier flies overhead!)

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 15:18:43 PM »
Sam!  :rofl:

I thought of that as well.

Welcome Jem, to the best Cat forum.

Nicky

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 14:12:11 PM »
Hi Jem  :welcome: to Purrs

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 07:14:35 AM »

Hi Jem - a very big Purrs welcome to the forum.   :welcome:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 00:29:12 AM »
 Hi Jem and  :welcome: to Purrs.

I hope he comes back, am sure his book will do well in auction ;)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 21:08:05 PM »
oooo Bad Sam, I think you may have frightened her away  :scared:  :evillaugh:

:welcome: to Purrs Jem  ;)

:( Don't say that Stuart ..... I'm sure he'll be back!   :-:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 19:46:59 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 21:02:48 PM »
oooo Bad Sam, I think you may have frightened her Him away  :scared:  :evillaugh:

:welcome: to Purrs Jem  ;)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 07:10:53 AM by Stuart »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 13:49:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum  :welcome:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 13:30:51 PM »
 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

I know you've only just posted and I hate to pounce on you straightaway ..... but would you be willing to donate to our Pre-Christmas auction  ;).  If you would like more info please feel free to PM me  :hug:

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 09:48:37 AM »
 :welcome:  :welcome: :welcome:  you will like it here :hug:

Offline A Cat Called Dog

• Kitten
Hi from Jem, Honey and Bumble
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 09:23:59 AM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Jem Vanston, author of the cat novel 'A Cat Called Dog', and slave to two rescue cats, Honey (torti-tabby) and Bumble (black semi-longhaired black), both 2 year old females.

http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2177

Feel free to message me and I shall get back as soon as I can, in between working and writing - and serving cats...

Link to CatChat