Author Topic: The Indoor Cattery  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: The Indoor Cattery
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 18:08:03 PM »
It looks great.  Like Helen says, it's a compromise between a cattery and a pet sitter.  Kennels in a cattery are fairly small so a room like that with  home comforts looks great.   How do you keep the soft furnishings clean and disinfected between cats?  Or are those cats' own?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 18:00:20 PM »
I just found your website, shame you're nowhere near me!  :shy:

Have you researched what the average local charge is for home visits? Your current price seems very cheap going by prices near me!

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 17:43:20 PM »
That looks fabulous!   So pleased that it's taking off really well for you.   ;D

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 16:06:36 PM »
Glad it is going well - good for you!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 16:03:00 PM »
Looks fab, a great compromise between a cattery and a pet sitter - like a cattery but they get the home comforts ie central heating, more space etc

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 09:50:16 AM »
So pleased it is all going well  ;D

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 00:29:12 AM »
Sounds and looks great.  Not sure if one room would be enough for my Bonnie  ;) she has the run of the house and I leave all doors open day and night.  However, I do think she would adapt if everything was in that room for her and has a window to look out of and cuddles.

Good luck.

Mary
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 12:25:34 PM by maryas »
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 08:01:52 AM »
It looks great  ;D

http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 22:46:13 PM »
Can I be a teeny bit controversial?  I wouldn't chose to board any of our hoard in same home as a springer spaniel. 

Sorry Toby  :shy:  I bet you're adorable but none of ours have shared a home with a dog and I would worry about barking .. not to mention potential escapes with a dog in the house despite double door policy.

Otherwise the concept of boarding in a normal home environment seems an attractive idea.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 22:31:08 PM »
Whilst I'm not a fully 'indoor' owner anymore I do actually like the sound of a more 'home comforts' indoor cattery. My two were indoors only for the first year of their lives and now have a catproofed garden. When I took them to the cattery for the first time I was worried that the chalet/cabin wouldn't be warm enough or homely enough as they had never slept in anything other than a centrally heated carpeted house and weren't allowed out after dusk!

I think for indoor only cats there's definitely the consideration that they are going to be exposed to an outside environment eg the run on the cat cabin which if your cats have no outside access normally is not something you'd want to do - in the sense of what they don't know about they won't miss! One of the catteries I viewed with no outdoor access was a bit grim so it was the choice of indoor pens/grim or nice outdoor pens.

The cattery I chose was lovely but I haven't taken them back since as I now prefer a pet sitter over the cattery. I think a lot of people are wary about letting a stranger into their home so if I was one of those people and had the choice of an indoor homely cattery or a regular cattery I would definitely go indoor only. For me the security would be an issue so good to hear about double doors and locked windows as that is something that would be top of my list of must haves.

Good luck with the launch and like Gillian would be interested to see pics of the cat rooms.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 22:02:25 PM »
Interesting  ;) would love to see some pics of your set up  ;D

Offline Charlie_Bear

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Kizzy, Brandy, Kitty and Toby the Springer Spaniel
The Indoor Cattery
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 11:57:48 AM »
I have just started offering home boarding for cats. I have a room upstairs in my home that can take up to three cats. This room has a large cat tree, window seat, sofa, cat bed, scratch board, tunnel and various interactive toys. I am hoping to have a further two downstairs rooms that will each house two cats, or four cats when opened into one large chalet. These will be furnished similarly to the upstairs room.

Cats may have access to the cat lounge for cuddles and fuss as long as owners are happy for their cats to do so. Cats from different familes will not be allowed to mix.

Boarding cats (as well as my own cats) obviously have to be vaccinated and will not be allowed to mix with my own animals.

Windows to cat rooms and areas used by boarding cats will be kept permanently locked. A double door system will be in place at all times to the rooms/areas that boarding cats have access.

I am licensed by the local authority for indoor cat boarding, CRB checked, Pet First Aid trained and fully insured.

Would be interested on views by indoor cat owners if this is something they would be happy to use rather than a traditional cattery.

Link to CatChat