Author Topic: Advice on weening  (Read 1216 times)

Offline moggymum

• Kitten
Re: Advice on weening
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 09:18:27 AM »
yes I have blended it too, but no luck im afraid, If i keep mum away from them she frets like crazy.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 22:42:48 PM »
Rather than mashing the food if you blend it with an electric hand blender it becomes like soupy liquid and none of ours fosters or our own have ever turned it down, I have 2 adults on this as well due to health issues

It might also be an odea to give Mum some time out in another room from them so the milk bar is shut for a period in the day
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline moggymum

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 21:53:53 PM »
I am feeding them felix kitten pouches and asda kitten pate. Mum also eats applaws kitten biscuits and they have no interest in them

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 21:48:20 PM »
You could try kitten biscuits. Although not something to get them too keen on, mine really loved them when they were kittens. They kept trying to eat their mum's biscuits and I was worried as they were too big for them. The rescue recommended getting kitten biscuits and they all loved them. Are they eating at the same time as mum because mine just watched their mum and joined in trying to eat her food.

What kind of food are you giving them?

Also make sure the mum has somewhere high up she can get away from the kittens so she can have a rest.   

Offline moggymum

• Kitten
Advice on weening
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 21:01:22 PM »
I have 6 week old kittens that are not interested in food. So far I have tried just mushing up kitten food, Blending food with water/milk, and just kitten milk on its own. I have put some on their mouths for them to lick off and then directed them to the bowl, I have put some in their mouths and I have even dipped their feet in.  They are not interested at all and I dont know what else to try. The poor mother cat is walking around with kittens dangling off her nipples.

Link to CatChat