Author Topic: Early stage CRF - Renal food - help!  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Early stage CRF - Renal food - help!
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 09:41:18 AM »
A friend of mine had a cat with CRF and she swore by Renalzin.  I think she used to mix the renalzin with some salmon which was the only thing her cat would eat apart from normal dry cat food.  Her cat survived a good 5 years or more following diagnosis.

Just a thought that you may want to look into sometime.

http://www.renalzin.com/

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 00:13:10 AM »
Our cat really liked the Royal Canin renal pouches but maybe we were lucky. I agree though it is important he eats and if he won't eat the renal food then regular it has to be. There are certain types that are better and I think fish flavours needs to be avoided.
I hope he starts taking something.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 23:49:22 PM »
Initially our Fred didn't mind the renal dry. Your vet may have a sample pack Jake could try out?  :shy:

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 16:05:23 PM »
I'm no expert as a brain tumour took Chelsea before we had chance to get her kidneys under control but I tried her on Hills and Royal Canin which she wouldn't eat then opted for some dry food from Zooplus that had good reviews. It was German I think and called Happy Cat if my memory is to be trusted.
In terms of info there is an excellent site which will help with info.
Www.felinecrf.org

Sending poor Jake a cuddle as he has certainly gone through the mill lately.
 :hug:
Thanks Louise, that's one of the one I've ordered as I saw good reviews for it. I just need to find some wet food as well.
I'm hoping someone will have some advice on whether there are particular normal foods that are better than others in case i can't get him to take the renal foods.

I'm working my way through the site you recommended, it's fantastic and there's so much info on it, I know what I'll be spending my free time doing now!

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 15:54:04 PM »
I'm no expert as a brain tumour took Chelsea before we had chance to get her kidneys under control but I tried her on Hills and Royal Canin which she wouldn't eat then opted for some dry food from Zooplus that had good reviews. It was German I think and called Happy Cat if my memory is to be trusted.
In terms of info there is an excellent site which will help with info.
Www.felinecrf.org

Sending poor Jake a cuddle as he has certainly gone through the mill lately.
 :hug:

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
Early stage CRF - Renal food - help!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 15:22:58 PM »
This is my 3rd post about my Jake as he seems to be going through the mill at the moment!

Jake is 14,  hyperthyroid and has also just had a tumour removed from his spine. He’s coping well with both these issues. His surgery went well and he’s on vidalta for his hyper –T as well as fortekor for the associated blood pressure issues.

Unfortunately, he’s now been diagnosed with renal failure. It’s very early stages though so I’m trying to remain as hopeful as possible.
His creatin and urea levels are higher than they should be although not massively high for now. His phosphorus and potassium levels are normal.

He is drinking (and peeing) loads but his appetite is great and he is very alert and happy.

Because it’s in the early stages, my vet has advised that I try to control it through diet. The Fortekor will help too.

I’ve tried him on a couple of the wet renal foods so far but he isn’t interested. He literally took a bite of his dinner last night then spat it back out. I’ve ordered all the different kinds I can find but knowing my fussy boy, I’m not particularly hopeful.  :tired:

I’m not prepared to have him go without food so if he doesn’t eat the prescription food I’ll need to feed him normal stuff, but at the same time I don’t want to risk making his kidneys worse so I’m struggling with what to do.

if anyone has any experience of this I’d be most grateful for advice. I’ve read that senior food is the next best thing to renal food – is this true? Has anyone on here had success with a CRF cat on this?

I’m so worried about him and I want to do what’s best for him while still making sure he has a decent quality of life.

Any help at all would be great  :thanks:

Link to CatChat