Author Topic: Kitty has Gingivostomatitis  (Read 1529 times)

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Kitty has Gingivostomatitis
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 00:05:35 AM »
Thanks for the answers.  Vet ( and me too ) doesn't think a full dental is a good idea for Kitty, mainly due to her being 16.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 16:39:50 PM by CuteCats »

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 17:53:39 PM »
If I remember correctly it's the cats own immune system that is attacking itself so the steroids are needed to lower the immune response and the antibiotics are just to clear infection.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 17:43:15 PM »
Hi
I'm just learning about it as I've adopted a rescue cat with gingivitis.
The rescue put him on raw food (look for the thread on raw food gingivitis and our possible new arrival for lots of help and advice from the lovely Purrs members) which literally saved his life.
I've also, with the approval of my vet, put him on a aloe vera juice which gets mixed into his food. The juice helps keep down the inflammation.
I'm a distributor for the company so this isn't really the place to promote product but if you want to know more please PM me.
 :hug:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 17:39:14 PM »
In my experience the time between injections and antibiotics being effective gets shorter and shorter. In the end Algie had all his teeth and roots removed and a partial gingivectomy and 'touch wood' it has not returned. In hindsight I wish it had been done a lot earlier it would have saved him a lot of pain and discomfort.

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
Kitty has Gingivostomatitis
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 17:08:14 PM »
Anyone have any experience of this?  Kitty has just had a short trial treatment of antibiotics and steroids, and has improved well.  I have been warned her pain could return after a few days though, and worried about longer steroid use.  Maybe antibiotics alone would help?

Link to CatChat