Author Topic: Advice on law regarding dog attacks on cats  (Read 1974 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Advice on law regarding dog attacks on cats
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 16:11:30 PM »
Poor boy and just as he was feeling secure  :hug: :hug:

Offline Honeysuckle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 16:03:56 PM »
I think you are now doing the right thing  :hug: :hug:

Have you got your cat in safely, if not this is what you need to do as a matter of priority.

He is an ex-stray, (neutered now but not then) who started living in the front garden area and eating the grated cheese put out for the birds. Very wild and I had to get the RSPCA to help me to trap him to neuter him. He's been inside for a year now when he hurt his leg and has become very affectionate but still wont let anyone easily pick him up. He only started going outside again in the last week when the weather has been mild and he was coming back inside again (dog was away at the time).  He is very wiley and knows when someone is trying to pick him up. I'm hoping now to get an outside ladder or something similar built that he can use instead of the stairs. I still feed him three times a day and put out fresh water for him.

Offline Honeysuckle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 15:51:11 PM »
I agree with Sheila, my poor cat was killed (we believe) and definitely one of our ferals because I saw it  :'( was killed by a dog the following week.  We think we know whos but couldn't prove it, I contacted the council and they said they couldn't do anything for a feral cat (although we'd cared for it for 11 years) but if we could prove it they could for our own resident cat.  I was contacting purely to try and prevent this happening again not to sue, we don't blame the dog.  The chap said if we saw the dog roaming again to get as much info as we can and straight in touch and they'd come out and collect the dog if possible.  We spoke with who we believe owned the dog who attacked our cats and another chap in the allotments and told them exactly that, we've also done all we can to prevent this happening again but we can't help the ferals as much as we'd like, just hope they got the message or passed it on to whoever let their dogs roam!

I'm so sorry to hear about your cats. How upsetting. Hopefully whoever owns that dog has got the message now and will keep the dog under control.

I'm glad to hear that the council can do something about it if they can - shame they wont do it for a feral cat though. I'm hoping my own council will be able to confirm that they will be able to act as I think I need to make my neighbour aware that there are serious consequences if she continues to behave irresponsibly.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 15:00:38 PM »
I think you are now doing the right thing  :hug: :hug:

Have you got your cat in safely, if not this is what you need to do as a matter of priority.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 14:58:58 PM »
I agree with Sheila, my poor cat was killed (we believe) and definitely one of our ferals because I saw it  :'( was killed by a dog the following week.  We think we know whos but couldn't prove it, I contacted the council and they said they couldn't do anything for a feral cat (although we'd cared for it for 11 years) but if we could prove it they could for our own resident cat.  I was contacting purely to try and prevent this happening again not to sue, we don't blame the dog.  The chap said if we saw the dog roaming again to get as much info as we can and straight in touch and they'd come out and collect the dog if possible.  We spoke with who we believe owned the dog who attacked our cats and another chap in the allotments and told them exactly that, we've also done all we can to prevent this happening again but we can't help the ferals as much as we'd like, just hope they got the message or passed it on to whoever let their dogs roam!

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 15:03:40 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Honeysuckle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 14:57:32 PM »
Whilst you shouldn't have to, if she refuses to change her behaviours ie leaving her door open and not putting the dog on a lead, could your cats get access to outside through another means ie a ladder system going from an upstairs window down to the ground floor outside? It needn't be anything to complex, just a length of decking running diagonally down to the ground supported with small batons.

Thanks Tiggy's Mum, This is a good idea as I would never be able to trust her that she'd be diligent in restraining her dog before she opened her flat door. There would always be a risk that one of my cats could get cornered on the stairs. I have found a really good website with hundreds of idea for cat ladders. I may still have to try and negotiate with her to be able to do something like this - but if I collect evidence I could use that as a bargaining chip I guess.

http://catladder.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Honeysuckle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 14:49:17 PM »
I think you need to stop being so neighbourly and start complaining.

If one of your cats did get injured or killed I don't think you'd be on such good terms then, she's not doing anything to resolve the situation even though you say she understands your anxiety? I think she's a selfish person who will only do what suits her and doesn't deserve your kid-gloves approach.

As for training her dog, I'm afraid with most terrier breeds they will chase and kill any smal fast furry creature they see because it's in their nature.

Honesty is always the best policy with neighbours and she is currently being dishonest about her intentions, which is disrespectful to you.

You need to be direct and give her no room to manuevre. If she can't keep the dog under control you will be forced to report her to the council yourself for the noise and nuisance. Is there a clause in your shared ownership papers about pet behaviour/damage etc?

Your only other safe option is to keep your cats indoors, and no-one wants to force that on you.

I think I knew this, but I needed to hear it from someone else. Thank you, Sheilarose, you're right, she has no respect for me and I'm allowing her to treat me this way by trying to keep the peace and be neighbourly.

I have contacted our local dog warden and asked for a meeting. I am also starting to collect evidence, of when he barks, when he's out in our communal hall on his own and on the street - anything I can use to enforce the law. I actually feel a bit of a fool for allowing her to get away with this for so long now.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 14:50:38 PM by Honeysuckle »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 12:32:57 PM »
Whilst you shouldn't have to, if she refuses to change her behaviours ie leaving her door open and not putting the dog on a lead, could your cats get access to outside through another means ie a ladder system going from an upstairs window down to the ground floor outside? It needn't be anything to complex, just a length of decking running diagonally down to the ground supported with small batons.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 12:26:47 PM »
I think you need to stop being so neighbourly and start complaining.

If one of your cats did get injured or killed I don't think you'd be on such good terms then, she's not doing anything to resolve the situation even though you say she understands your anxiety? I think she's a selfish person who will only do what suits her and doesn't deserve your kid-gloves approach.

As for training her dog, I'm afraid with most terrier breeds they will chase and kill any smal fast furry creature they see because it's in their nature.

Honesty is always the best policy with neighbours and she is currently being dishonest about her intentions, which is disrespectful to you.

You need to be direct and give her no room to manuevre. If she can't keep the dog under control you will be forced to report her to the council yourself for the noise and nuisance. Is there a clause in your shared ownership papers about pet behaviour/damage etc?

Your only other safe option is to keep your cats indoors, and no-one wants to force that on you.

Offline Honeysuckle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 11:26:42 AM »
There are three flats but I'm afraid I don't think she would take any real notice even if the other occupants said anything.

Actually the only thing she is doing is trying to get him to stop his persistent barking because I suspect she knows that other nearby residents could complain to the local council about that.

I don't blame the dog - he has not been trained properly.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 11:08:18 AM »
what a difficult situation, how many of you that own the freehold, just you two or are there others who you could get on side?

Offline Honeysuckle

• Adult Cat
Advice on law regarding dog attacks on cats
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 11:02:54 AM »
Hi,

I was wondering if anone could give me some advice about the law and the possible consequences should a neighbour's dog attack my cats. My downstairs neighbour has recently moved in with her terrier dog which is very aggressive towards other animals. It has actually killed other animals abroad and more recently attacked and bitten other animals here in the UK. The dog is very friendly towards people and to my knowledge has not attacked a person although the owner did get bitten when she tried to separate her dog which was fighting another dog.

My cats need access to the hall and stairs in order to go out and they need to pass her doorway. Unfortunately my neighbour is very lax about securing her dog before she opens her flat door and in fact she often leaves her door open and allows her dog unrestrained access to our communal hall. We all own part of the Freehold of the building.

I have been on good terms with my neighbour and tried to remain friendly. I have tried to negotiate with her on several occasions and made her aware of my very real fears if she does not restrain her dog and leaving her flat door open.  I feel it is only a matter of time before he finds his way upstairs and he could dash into my flat if I opened the door and attack my cats. While she nods and appears very co-operative it would appear that she is just paying me lip-service because a couple of days later it happens again. One of my cats is now too frightened to come in and has been outside in the garden for 3 nights. My anxiety levels are now through the roof. :Crazy:

Is there anything I can do about this? Could I sue her if her dog injured or killed my cat? My aim here is to prevent a tragedy and I have a feeling that if I made her aware of the consequences to her personally (ie loss of money) she would take more notice and be more vigilant.

:( :( :(

Link to CatChat