Author Topic: Litter tray woes  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
  • A meow massages the heart
  • Slave to: Motown, Drum & our beautiful baby Bass RIP
Re: Litter tray woes
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 08:46:29 AM »
Hmm tracking isn't amazing, it can get slightly messy but we just have a dustpan and also a little handheld Hoover. It's still less effort than dumping the whole tray and dealing with wet liners or paper ;)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 22:47:17 PM »
I use chick crumb (organic, flushable) without liners/ Scoop daily then replace and disinfect weekly (with the exception of Polly's occasional  tummy upsets in which case I change the litter when she splatters  :sick: )

My experience with liners was "what the heck are these things supposed to do?"
Time/money wasters in my opinion. I now bag my (their) used pee clumps into Ocado bio-degrabable bags (weekly - I have a bin by their trays) and flush the poo down the Loo.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 22:30:40 PM »
It's pretty bad for tracking to be honest. I don't have carpets so it doesn't worry me to much, but it ends up half way across the kitchen every morning. Apart from that I find it really good and it lasts a long time.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 20:48:28 PM »
I use wood pellet in the majority of our boxes and flushed it at our last house, here we can't as we have a septic tank

Of course the Clan also have 3 types of clumping clay, 1 yesterdays news and 2 with nothing for the fussy ones :shocked:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 19:37:32 PM »
What are World's Best and Oko like for tracking? TBH, that's why I use wood pellets - practically no tracking!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 19:38:15 PM by jezebel »
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 16:48:37 PM »
Yes oko is great.

I used liners for about a week when we first got our two - they just kept ripping them.

We now have a covered tray with no liners, but they mostly poop outside anyways.
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 09:22:43 AM »
cats best oko can be flushed (the lumps) and the rest composted I think the same goes for worlds best although it costs more

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 09:09:57 AM »
Thanks all, I thought I'd be told to ditch the liners! :)

Are there any clumping litters which are biodegradable (and can be flushed)?
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 08:35:13 AM »
I'd ditch the liners and go for something clumping like cats best oko you just take the clumps out daily and do a full change when necessary, for me about once a month

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 22:09:29 PM »
Not had time to read this myself but you might find something useful on this site:

Mary

http://www.catchat.org/urination.html

Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Bee

• Senior Cat
  • A meow massages the heart
  • Slave to: Motown, Drum & our beautiful baby Bass RIP
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 20:32:03 PM »
We use Cats Best flushable clumping and deep clean once a week too, never had any issues with Drum and Mo seems to have taken to it too....
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 19:18:51 PM »
I used to use liners all the time with Chelsea but Luna and Cleo started doing the same thing as your two abc I got fed up of trying to put the liners back. As the point was to make tray cleaning easier they became useless so now I just do the same as Liz.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 18:59:30 PM »
Take the liners out and see how that goes also can you add in a spare tray during the liner removal, I don't have liners and do a deep clean of my trays once a week and all use them with no isses

Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
Litter tray woes
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 18:49:37 PM »
I'm at my wit's end with this!

My two girls are indoor cats and they have a (large) litter tray in the bathroom with wood pellet litter. I put liners in the tray as it's just easier to keep clean and use two at a time because the little darlings rip holes in them. Until we moved house a month ago, eveything was fine. Since we've moved, however, they've been ripping the liners to shreds and pulling them down over the litter - this results iin a big pool of pee on the flattened liners ( :sick: ) and/or poo being deposited between the two liners (  :sick: again). I tried putting a few sheets of folder newspaper at either end to hold down the liners - this worked for a few days but they soon realised they could rip up the newspaper (and pee all over it!). I tried again using sheets of cardboard but the same thing happened.

I've no idea why they've started vandalising their tray like this suddenly - the only thing I can think of is that they have more privacy in the new bathroom, whereas before the bathroom was on the same level as the other rooms and was more exposed (ie, we walked past it a lot) so possibly they did what they had to do more quickly.

I know it's not a major problem but I'm worried that if the tray's left practically unusable during the day (whiile I'm at work), they'll find something else to use as a toilet!

Any tips?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 18:51:36 PM by jezebel »

Link to CatChat