Author Topic: Poorly cat  (Read 4281 times)

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mouse
Re: Poorly cat
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2013, 19:03:06 PM »
Thanks Liz. I was really worried after reading stuff online about how it's unsafe for cats. Mouse had an im injection about 10 days ago and now they've given me a bottle to use as and when. She's eating well but just seems "under the weather" these last few days.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2013, 18:56:37 PM »
Short term Metacam brings down temps and acts as pain relief and I use it here for my Calichi boy and on the cats under vets advice after dentals etc, like tablets from the doctor if its prescribed do what the vet asked a cat in pain won't eat and will hide as they will feel miserable, our vets usually give and injection to cover the first 24 hours and then added to food in liquid form for the remainder of the suggested time

My 16 yo diabetic is on it as is one of my Hyper T ferals and all are fine the feral is nearly 15 and had all her teeth removed so now gets it once a week and is fine on that amount my Calchi boy is 7 and gets it 3 times a week and I have injections from the vet in the door of the fridge if he needs the injectable form
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2013, 18:23:36 PM »
Thanks Gill she was ok, eating well but she just doesn't seem herself. Just got back from the vets, they couldn't see anything obviously wrong, says if she doesn't improve they'll do x rays, bloods etc . Gave us some metacam but just googled it and now probably won't give it to her  :scared:
Have you any thoughts on it?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2013, 00:42:47 AM »
Hope she will be OK over the weekend  :hug:

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2013, 19:13:09 PM »
I'll look into insurance for her then. I have my dog insured but each time I got a quote for mouse it was sky high so i'll try AXA.
She's started being weird again today, she hissed at me when I went near her and she limped about for a few mins after but now completely fine again. Vets booked for Monday, I SO hope she doesn't get bad over the weekend or I may have to sell my home to pay for VETS NOW!!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2013, 16:21:47 PM »
Yes but there is an excess on insurances for cats just like on cars!

So these start at £50 and can go as high as £100, I made a mistake in times of severe hardship and to lower the cost of Misas and Sasas insurence put it up from 50 to 75....................big mistake cos this takes out any cliams for consultation and small treatment.

I opted for 50 for Lupin cos realized that it was only a very small amount extra and worth it to get as much of a claim covered as possible.

You need to read the small print very carefully to make sure you understand what is covered.

Although getting more expensive I still think that AXA gives the best cover, other than petplan which is even more expensive.

However and think this will be problem for you maybe, all kittens under one year cos loads.

Another thing is that once you have made a claim for what could be a recurring problem it will be excluded from any new insurance company if you want to change, so you need to start off with the one you are going to stay with.

Because of the way that insurance is being abused by vets, its so expensive to insure and many insurances are not very good.

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2013, 08:58:49 AM »
Does insurance cover consultation fees?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 23:47:09 PM »
And thats why the insurance is going up so much and because Napoleon was not insured,,,,,,,,,,I reckon thats how they could chop almost £1000 of his bill !

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 23:40:11 PM »
a lot of people do have their pets insured these days, so vets charge what they like >:( as they know the insurance co's will normally pay out.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 18:23:42 PM »
I know My Mum was really annoyed to see the notice. She said she was going to complain, I must ask her if she did. The thing is it would probably have made her leave that vets but unfortunately there are only 2 in the area and the other one isn't great either. I'm surprised the vets don't realise what bad publicity it is. It just makes people think how well are they going to look after my pet, they are just interested in money?   

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 18:07:03 PM »
Too true  :Crazy:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 18:05:24 PM »
Luckily we've got the NHS otherwise just imagine what doctors would be charging!

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 17:58:48 PM »
That's disgusting!!  They refuse to treat people the same who have vouchers???? That's like someone buying me a gift voucher for a high street shop and them telling me I can only have certain items. there must be something we can do?? Animals will be suffering because of this while the companies that are there to "care" for them just get richer.
I know not all vets are like this but come on.. £600 for a visit to a cat in agony how on earth is that justifiable?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 14:42:08 PM »
If that had a like button would click it..................I know vets have to make money but some are just laughing in peoples faces

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 14:35:35 PM »
I was really annoyed when my Mum told me their vet in Cornwall had put a notice in the waiting room advising people not to expect the same treatment if they were using PDSA vouchers. So people give up there time to work for charities but vets can't do anything to help animals if their owners are poor. Do people just become vets for the money now? Why don't they just become bankers?   

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 12:35:20 PM »
Vets are making money hand over fist.

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 07:37:04 AM »
It's disgusting isn't it? The thing that makes me so mad is some people will just not take their animals due to the high cost.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 00:02:38 AM »
Thats terrible

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 21:48:25 PM »
One of the dogs at our stable yard was kicked by a horse back in january, she was only 4 months old and broke the leg in 3 places. didnt even yelp in pain. Owner rushed her to the local big name vet surgery and they charged £500 to keep her overnight with 2 xrays and painkillers and quoted £5000 to operate on her leg. I told owner to contact either PDSA or Celia Hammond Charity who has 2 London vet clinics and Celia took the dog in, fixed her leg for £500. Just shows what  a rip off these big vets are :Crazy:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 21:50:26 PM by heather sullivan »

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 17:50:37 PM »
Thanks, she's completely back to normal, bossing me around.
I will definitely do some research and try and find a 24/7 vets nearby.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 14:34:09 PM »
Yes Vets Now have a reputation! Expensive!

My vets are also farm vets but not at the office I use I think cos my vet Gareth is definately a small animal vet. Apparently vets who deal with farm animals have to have a 24/7 set up, and I am lucky cos the office I go to is newish, about two yrs old and has a small animal hospital set up.

I used to use another vet who was only small animals and lovely but uses Vets Now and after my experience with Kocka I wsill never use again........the vet was very good but the problem is that they tend to use PDSA premises and have to be out of there by 0800 and one ends up carting a sick animal frfom vets to Vets Now and back.................totally useless when they are as ill as Napoleon was.

To get Napoleon seen as an emergency by current vets although he was registered they insisted that he be completely transferred. When he became so ill that he was staying there I realized that I could not have my other cats under the care of a vet without 24/7 cover on the spot, so transferred all cats to current vet.

I did extensive searching before choosing a vet cos I need to be happy how they handle cats and how they deal with me. I need to be able to talk to them and for them to explain everything. When Napoleon was in the hospital I could ring up at any time, including during the night.

Effectively one really needs to interview the vet! They also need to have a number of vets that you can choose from.

There are two really good ones Gareth and Geraint, the latter works normally at a different office but between the two fab guys who really see things from different angles, we found out the problems with Napoleon and am so grateful for the care he received.

I do hope your cat is doing well now  :hug: :hug:

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 07:40:31 AM »
Thanks. have vets now got a reputation?
I know 12 isn't old but that's just the age I've given her  ;D She could be 40 for all I know! She was a stray, we've had her for 3 years and when I first got her I asked the vet an approx. age, he just said "old, very old". But I think that could be more to do with the rough time she's had, she was all creaky and stiff from being out in all weather and we think she was hit or kicked in the jaw as she has a huge scar and one tooth  :(
I must see if the vets around here have a system like that Gill.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 01:11:24 AM »
That is just the worst rip off I have heard !
My vet cost me £90 for an emergency call out which I only have used once so far .that was on a Saturday night around 9pm .
 I am in Nottinghamshire.
Glad your cat is getting better, but 12 is certainly not old .
I have two at 15 and the last one I lost was just a month short of her 18th year .
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 01:11:51 AM by bunglycat »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 21:32:41 PM »
Vets now when last used was about £100 I think but that was 8 years ago and refuse to use them now.

When I took Napoleon in as an emergency in the night to my vets, I really cant remember............think I have blacked it out but although it should have been more I dont think I was charged that much...............I know being in hospital costs quite a lot per night............about £30 I think plus treatment.

Afraid all my experience was with Napoleon and he was almost in hospital for a month with loads of treatment tests and a major op. He came home for an odd day but then got ill again and had to go back and all I know was his bill was nearly £3000 at the end and I lost him  :'(

The vet was very kind and knocked it back to £2000 and I paid by installments until begining of this year.

Sorry havent been much use but it didnt cost £100 for Napoleon to be seen at my vets and he always got ill at night! Because they are 24/7 they always have a vet on-call and nursing staff in cos they have animals in the hospital.

My vet also said that they could call him if he wasnt on duty cos they are a group and the rota includes vets from the other practices, some of which were useless! My vet is young and one of the partners.

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 18:44:27 PM »
I was furious! I told them it was cruel and how did they expect people to pay it. I thought £150 was bad considering from start to finish it was about seven minute in total we were there. How much do they charge where you are Gill?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 18:35:40 PM »
Well that Vet in Dorset wants culling!

Thats about the going rate for Vets now I think.

I have a 24/7 vet thank goodness who have staff on all the time.

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 18:23:05 PM »
I did ask about a stroke and he said not when I took her. I didn't think about a sting, that's definitely a possibility though and she's improved even more since I first posted. She just came up and told me to follow her to her food bowl  :)

It was Dorset GILL. That was for a visit at 11pm on a Sat night but even so I nearly choked. It ended up costing over £150 to take her in and that was just for Metacam inj.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 18:01:16 PM »
I'm wondering if she was stung by a bee or wasp
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 17:29:28 PM »
12 is not old! All my cats have lived past 17 and Kocka was 20.

£600 that is crazy..........where was that?

If your vet is good I would be tempted to take her to be seen.........could be anything from heart to stroke or something similiar.

Something must have happened for her to have aquired a limp and could have been a minor stroke but just guessing really  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
Poorly cat
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 13:39:50 PM »
 :'( My old cat started behaving oddly on Sat eve. She'd been fine all day and then early evening she took herself off to my bedroom and curled up. I thought it a little strange but left her to it. After a few hours I began to get concerned and went to stroke her and she hissed and let out a blood curdling cry. She tried to get up but was having problems with her back leg. She struggled in to the lounge and did the same, hissed and cried and lay on her side. I tried to get a vet to visit but they were charging £600  :Crazy: We took her to the emergency vets and when we arrived the vet saw us and checked her over and she didn't cry or hiss when he pulled her legs all over the place and he put her on the floor and although she was slightly limping she was walking ok. He was flummoxed and gave her a pain killing injection. When we got her home she reverted back to crying etc. Since then she has slowly improved and is walking tentatively and apart from being a little less active than normal she's doing everything ok. Eating weeing etc. I called the vets this morning who told me to just watch her for today and see how she goes. My heart wants to rush to the vets again but my head is telling me to wait. Any similar stories, any ideas of what could have happened? She's an old girl, not sure how old as she was a stray we rescued off the street. We've had her 3 years so I would say she's 12 ish.

Link to CatChat