Author Topic: Poor coat condition - any ideas?  (Read 1646 times)

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
Re: Poor coat condition - any ideas?
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 21:16:21 PM »
Wordy has always had a kitten coat, thats what I call it anyway, its only since he has been on Denamarin for his Liver that it has gone really glossy and he loves a good brush over with the glove. (he is 3yrs old this year).

The grooming gloves are great if they aren't to keen on the brush or they fidget and turn to watch you, and get bumped with the brush!

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mouse
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 18:46:15 PM »
How about trying him with some sardines or mackerel? That may help a little if he has them regularly.

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 11:39:42 AM »
Thanks for that, Liz. He's lovely but not an obliging cat, so checking teeth won't be easy - will try and get a look when he yawns or is playing with something first!  Luckily he's eating ok, but I'm keeping a close eye on him for changes

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 12:38:59 PM »
I have 2 Hyper thyroids and one is fine glossy coat meanwhile Misss clio is a tad clumpy for a better word and being feral is not the easist to brush or comb and can still be a pain with her tablets but she had mouth issues although eating fine she ended up having her teeth all removed and this has also caused some of the clumps so maybe check the teeth situation

On the other hand my diabetics teeth are great she just doesn't groom as she likes the humans to brush and comb her!!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 10:58:20 AM »
Thanks for your replies.  After another lot of treatment for his bad leg, he's luckily had no other problems in that area and mobility seems normal. Was watching him groom himself last night and again everything seems fine. I'll have a go at brushing him anyway (offering treats might be a good idea as he's always liked touching on his own terms, only on head and shoulders and when he's in the mood.  I've also just been out and bought some wet cat food with omega 3 added, so will give him one of the pouches every day. 

Have looked up information on thyroid and he isn't showing any other signs which can be linked to this, but the signs are something I will keep an eye on over the next few weeks.

Any other comments/advice are still welcome!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 08:35:09 AM »
I just had a quick look through earlier posts of yours to get more info on Toby and wonder if his suspected arthritis may be affecting his ability to groom?   :shy: 

Just a thought but have you tried brushing him?  I see that he doesn't like you touching his side but I started grooming our Groucho, with the assistance of a few tasty biscuits  :innocent:  gradually building up sessions and after some months he now jumps up on bed when I tap the brush on it. 

Just saw your post Helen ..... great minds eh  ;)  I too thought thyroid but dismissed in absence of any other symptoms.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 08:35:25 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Poor coat condition - any ideas?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 08:30:25 AM »
I know thyroid levels can cause a 'scruffy' coat, would have thought there would be other symptoms showing too though?

Does he allow you to brush him? I noticed Lu looking a bit scruffy lately so gave him a good going over with a furminator, a melon sized ball of fur later and he was looking a lot smoother!

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
Poor coat condition - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 19:27:50 PM »
I've recently noticed Toby's coat isn't so shiny and silky. To start with I thought it was due to him starting to moult, but am wondering if he needs a supplement to his diet or perhaps it's a medical condition.  He's 13.  He is eating the same and his weight hasn't changed. Is there any kind of oil which may improve the condition? I know these things take a while to get into their system, but thought I'd try this in the first instance.  Is a dull coat a sign of a medical condition though?  Any thoughts either way appreciated.

Link to CatChat