Author Topic: Introducing a pair of kittens...  (Read 2353 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Introducing a pair of kittens...
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 16:11:44 PM »
How is this going now?

Offline Shpongle

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Yoshi, Edward and Darcy
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 11:03:50 AM »
Yup - she is a sulker that's for sure!!  I don't mind though, I've been giving her extra attention and plenty of play time.  Trying not to over treat her as she is overweight and trying to lose it.  Because our previous cat was sick with lymphoma for quite a few months she wouldn't eat very much and unfortunately our resident ate 2 dinners too often  :shify:

We've had the kittens out and running about the last couple of days and seeing how they all get along.  They've all eaten in the same room twice now so I think it's progress!  Our resident allowed the boy kitten to come right over to her for a nose to nose sniff twice.  The first time this ended with a hiss from our resident and the second time she swiped his nose (no claws though so I think ti was just a warning).  She's been happy enough to accept strokes and playtime with them in the same room as her as well.

She's still reluctant to be down stairs for very long, but to be honest she has always spent most of her time upstairs anyway so I'm not too worried yet.  She's still going down to use her litter box though!

She just needs time! :)

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 15:06:05 PM »
Oh dear, she is sulking, isn't she?!

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Dotty and Blue. My other lovelies Dixie,Jasper & Rosie R.I.P
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 14:32:37 PM »
Rrrrrr. Your poor little resident cat in the cat carrier looks like she saying "Please someone take them away" Little love..... :Luv2: :Luv2: Attack is the last resort for any cat to take as when there is a stand off between 2 they will both wail, hiss and spit before the fisty cuffs start and usually it's when one won't back off and move away in an acceptable manner, all in the body language. Have a look on the internet and search for body language in cats as there is some good info on there. I would also try to make an extra fuss of your resident just to put her at ease because she probably feels very insecure with the new arrivals especially with there being 2.  :hug:

Offline ReeBz

• Adult Cat
  • ᵔᵜᵔ Mackerel's and Mau's! ᵔᵜᵔ
  • Slave to: Yuki~Egyptian-Mau. Moshi~Mackerel-Tabby.
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 14:31:33 PM »
That's pretty good. She doesn't seem particularly unhappy, as you mentioned she took treats from you, and certainly not aggressive. But she certainly IS sulking! That's perfectly normal for her. So is the hissing. Even if she does swipe at them, that's perfectly fine too. Only if she lunges should you need to act. Persevere! She's clearly (from her body language) not a natural fighter, but it will take her a while to get out of her 'grump'. Keep doing exactly what you're doing.
She needs to know they are here to stay, so don't pay too much attention to her negative behaviour, just let her work through it in time.

° ° ° ° ° ° All my Kitties, Past and Present, will always be Loved ° ° ° ° ° °

Offline Shpongle

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 09:54:03 AM »
Ok well... after another meeting in the box we trial ran an actual face to face.  We opted for our kitchen & dining room as the space because if it turned nasty then we could quickly separate them between the 2 rooms. We also got their dinners ready so that they had something to concentrate on.   

Our resident stayed under a chair through most of the meeting she did a fair amount of hissing when they kittens came close.  She ate a couple of mouthfuls of food but not much... though she did eat some treats.  The kittens spent most of the time exploring rather than trying to get close to where she was.  When they did get close a quick hiss from our resident sent them off to another area to look at.  She didn't once try to attack them and they didn't try and attack her.  They were together for maybe an hour!

We took some pictures throughout the 'adventure' and some of the meeting in the box.  Which hopefully I've attached ok...

I think it went OK but this morning our resident was reluctant to be downstairs.  She had been down there overnight though as she had used her litter tray...

Offline ReeBz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 14:36:11 PM »
A safe place to hide in the room is a good idea. But I would not remove the kittens until she comes out again, avoidance doesn't help a cat to overcome fear. If you want them to ever get along, she must learn to interact.
A mutual room is a room that is not a main sleeping room. For example the lounge, if they both sleep in bedrooms.
The lounge is usually the best option because it has the most mixed scents, if everyone uses it. Its not overpowered by one particular ownership smell.

Remember not to comfort her, tempting as that is. Keep your voice and petting simple and light. And only when she responds positively, or comes to you for it.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 13:48:45 PM »
well I suppose it can't hurt for her to feel like she has a safe place, 

Offline Shpongle

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 13:46:16 PM »
might be better if the kittens were in the carrier, so she feels like she has the upper paw so to speak!

Ah yes, they are in the carrier when we have been doing little short intros, but our resident has been hiding in another carrier when she comes out the room (although not today!) so I was just wondering about using her apparent liking of it as an extra tool :-)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 13:32:11 PM »
might be better if the kittens were in the carrier, so she feels like she has the upper paw so to speak!

Offline Shpongle

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 13:30:24 PM »
Well... the tuna was a welcome treat after she came out of their safe room.  She wouldn't eat it in the room although she almost did.  She also almost gave in and played with some toys, as if she forgot for about a second about where she was... but then the kittens meowed and she was like no way am I playing in here  :shy:

She didn't hide when she came out the room though, and before going back upstairs to the room that she 'owns' she sat on the bottom stair looking into their room so I *think* she is feeling a little more confident today.  She's currently sat quite happily having a snooze on our bed as if nothing ever happened :-)

Just a vague query... I'd read that it could be an idea to have an introduction on a neutral room, but not sure what really counts.  Our resident eats her dinner mostly in the dining room or the kitchen, although she also has a slim cat dry food ball upstairs (and a bowl of water).  I'm assuming a room she eats in wouldn't be a safe room at all?  The only room she never really goes in is the bathroom but obviously that's far too small!

I also wondered since she appears to be taking comfort in this extra cat carrier we have if I should be taking that to the room we decide to have an intro in so she has something to hide in if she wants??

Offline ReeBz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 12:15:36 PM »
Good stuff! Associating their scent with something she loves is a great idea, also feed them tuna when they eat together.
Tuna is a great bonding weapon, hehe.

When your intros start, im happy to help talk you through any worries you might have.
You can also take pictures if you're worried about body language.
We're all here to give you a helping hand! X

Offline Shpongle

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 10:32:12 AM »
Hi both, thanks for the replys!

And yes, I'd been reading the thread that you mentioned - it was what encouraged me to post!!

Had what I am terming a mini success this morning as our resident was quite happy playing in the hall outside their room with them both on the other side of the door... in fact she stayed and looked at the door for a lot longer this morning than she has been doing.  She didn't seem aggressive or worried just curious as to the shadow that was their 8 paws walking back and forth.

Also been out and bought a tin of tuna, which I know she can't resist so going to try with another walk around their room later with a tidbit treat of tuna and see how she seems after that!

Offline ReeBz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 08:50:01 AM »
I think you're doing just fine too!
As Dottyy said, the other kitten intro topic in this section is quite good.
How long cats need to be apart can take anywhere from a day to more than a month, just depends on the cats. Just give introduction a chance when you are ready, there is no correct time really. But when you do introduce them, just do so one at a time. You might want to give them a week of letting one kitten out for a day, or half a day, and the other the next day, next half day. So they don't gang up on the resident cat, and it doesnt overwhelm her all at once.
Always supervise them, and keep them apart at night so everyone sleeps soundly.

When I've introduced cats in the past, I've only left them apart for one night and then got down to introduction business the next day, within a week everyone is settled. But not introduced two before.

Try letting one out for breakfast with your resident cat, just walk past them and to the kitchen, as if 'new kitty' isnt even there.
Cats are more compliant when they have fed, and also less grumpy.
Intro's must be calm and nonchalant affairs.  8)
Keep a towel with you, to throw on them if they fight, but don't expect one, just relax!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 08:51:29 AM by ReeBz »

Offline DottyyBB

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Dotty and Blue. My other lovelies Dixie,Jasper & Rosie R.I.P
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 07:29:46 AM »
Hi Shpongle. It takes time to introduce newbies to the home especially when they are 22 weeks old as they are getting quite big by then and will be a bit intimidating for an established cat. You seem to be doing the right things though so keep doing what your doing, also if you read the other topic on here called introducing a kitten by arcanegirl you will get some useful tips from there.  :hug:

Offline Shpongle

• Kitten
Introducing a pair of kittens...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 22:58:22 PM »
Hallo,

I'm new here and just looking for a bit of advice about introducing a pair of kittens to our resident cat.

To give a bit of background, our resident female cat grew up with another female cat who sadly passed away due to lymphoma earlier this year.  Following this and after much discussion and observing our resident we decided that we'd get another cat to keep her, and us, company.  After some research it seemed that perhaps getting two kittens would be a good option.. so we did.  They joined us on Saturday, they are male and female, about 22 weeks old and neutered.

We created a good space for them in our living room (it's a room that our resident cat tends not to spend much time in so seemed a good option... plus we kinda have two living rooms anyway).  They have everything they need there and are very happy... well aside from wanting out to explore everywhere else!

Since the kittens arrived we've been scent swapping daily to try and get our resident used to their smells and we've also orchestrated a visit to the kitten room (with no kittens there) and a couple of visits while the kittens have been safely tucked away in their carrier (observing from above). We've also got feliway diffusers plugged in, as we'd used them before and really seem to take the edge of the stress!

Our resident hasn't quite behaved how we expected - we assumed there would be growls, fur raising and such like but instead mostly she has sat looking very unsure of herself before leaving the room with her tail held low.  There have been small growls from her.  When she has left the room she has opted to go and hide someplace, either a second cat carrier we have in our living room (which is a bit strange as before she went in there the only cats who had been in it were the kittens and some of the kittens family), under the bed or in a paper bag she likes sleeping in (it's a big paper bag with a cat mat inside that she's slept in quite a lot). After a few minutes of being in her hiding place she's come back out and almost acts like normal - come to us for playtime, food and strokes... but she does look over her shoulder as if she expects the kittens to appear, and gets spooked quite easy. 

We're not sure what to do next - would letting the kittens out of their safe room now be too early based on how she has been behaving?  Should we be even keeping them so seperate at the moment?

Kinda feels we are muddling thru at the moment and not sure if we are doing well or not!!

Any help/advice/reassurance appreciated!

Thanks
Shpongle

Link to CatChat