Author Topic: should we accept a new cat after everything?  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: should we accept a new cat after everything?
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 21:49:31 PM »
i think this is the wrong time. In the past 18 months we have moved twice, my elderly cat has died, Licky has becom unwell and only two months ago taken Fudge in. I think its too much for seniors and too much for us as a family.

I think you have summed it up perfectly there, aside from the issue with your daughter wanting any new kitten to be 'her' kitten - which might not happen as you can't guarantee who the kitten would bond with most.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 18:11:48 PM »
Personally I wouldn't take on a rabbit or guinea pig either unless you are prepared to take on most of the responsibility once the novelty has worn off. My sister in law ended up looking after the ones she got for her kids. Apparently rabbits are the most neglected pets.

Can you not give your daughter more responsibility for your other young cat. It's still only a kitten so she can have lots of fun playing with him. It's a bit strange that she doesn't like him now she knows he's a boy. Cats usually prefer the person that feeds them.   

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 15:12:32 PM »
No your not being mean, if its not right for you, then its not right!

Kittens don't stay kittens forever, and there is no guarantee that it would favour your daughter any more than the other two.

As Sheila said, it sounds like you answered the question yourself.
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 14:14:16 PM »
I agree with the other two, you havent said how old your daughter is but if under about 7 would think this quite hard to explain, any older then a proper conversation needs to be had.

The fact she hates it cos its male begs the question why!

Offline ReeBz

• Adult Cat
  • ᵔᵜᵔ Mackerel's and Mau's! ᵔᵜᵔ
  • Slave to: Yuki~Egyptian-Mau. Moshi~Mackerel-Tabby.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 09:39:50 AM »
'Until she found out it was male' poo.. Poor fella.
You seem to have already decided against it, you just want reassurance that you're doing the right thing.
And I think you seem pretty aware of the outcome of getting a new kitten.
It definitely sounds more like a novelty in my opinion, and I think if it were me, I would have to say no to her.
Its a bit difficult to explain to a child that a cat will never really belong to one person, it becomes part of the family
like a brother or sister, and isnt an object that someone can take claimship of.

With other cats in the house, it would most likely grow up to be far less reliant on her than she would like,
And she would probably be better off with something that requires more interaction/care, like (as mentioned) a rabbit
or a guineapig, or a hamster. Cats are a long term commitment, as we all know.
I would probably start her with an animal that did not live as long, to teach her ownership and responsibility
without the long term commitment of a cat.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 09:45:34 AM by ReeBz »

° ° ° ° ° ° All my Kitties, Past and Present, will always be Loved ° ° ° ° ° °

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 09:26:54 AM »
Think you've answered your own question there.  :shify:

Another kitten would be lovely for your daughter until the novelty wore off again, then you'd have a very unbalanced household to cope with.

I'd talk to your daughter and find out if she'd actually be happier with a bunny or guinea pig as the cats don't seem to be keeping her interest.

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Licky, Fudge, Sugar, Candy (RIP Miss C)
should we accept a new cat after everything?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 00:48:24 AM »
Right, i have two 15year old twin cats Candy(f) and Licky(m). Licky has hyperthroidism which is treated by tablets daily. We recebtly took in a stray kitten, Fudge(m), who is 8months old. My advice is that a cat from a neighbour has had kittens and wants to give my 9 year old a kitten of 8 weeks, but i think this is the wrong time. In the past 18 months we have moved twice, my elderly cat has died, Licky has becom unwell and only two months ago taken Fudge in. I think its toi much fory senios and too much for us as a family. Our we being mean?  My daughter loved the stray kitten until she found out it was male and she doesnt seem bothered with the older ones. I think she just want a new one because the three we have seem to favour my partnwr over her and she wants her own cat. Any advice? Xxx

Link to CatChat