Author Topic: Hyperthyroid surgery - anyone had experience?  (Read 1609 times)

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Re: Hyperthyroid surgery - anyone had experience?
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 18:40:46 PM »
I have 2 Hyperthyroids here at the  Clan Master Max is nearly 13 and was diagnosed nearly 3 years ago he has had surgery twice but a bit left and has been on 20mg of Vitalda for 18 months has put all his weight back on and is doing well as long as the tablet are put in Chicken pate or smoked salmon :shocked:

Miss Clio my alpha female who is 14 and feral was diagnosed in December last year and after a bit of a battle and major dental surgery she lost all her teeth is now stable on 15mg of Vitalda a day and is starting to put weight back on with a bit of help from some supplements Complivet - 2 pumps is a total days calories and some Flumax again a supplement only from vets - she shares those with my Calichi boy Wispa who he vet thought wouldn't last but he is on his supplements and 6 sachets of liquidised food a day and is putting weight back on and looking well

Max had the surgery because he was hand reared and is fine Clio on the other hand not a chance of surgery she doesn't cope well out of her home environment where she is a poppet but remove paws from floor and she is feral
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
  • RIP my gorgeous Schmoo xx
  • Slave to: Buddy
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 11:46:46 AM »
Hello

Our cat is hyperT as well. Unfortunately surgery wasnt advised for us when she was diagnosed, but I think if we were able to I would defintely have considered it.

I know there is a chance of reoccurance if the tissue grows elsewhere, but I still think I'd have tried that over years of tablets - if only to cut down the time shes been on medication.

Only you know your cats though, and I am sure whatever you decide will be right for you  :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 22:35:16 PM »
my Trigger had the radioactive iodine treatment last year, and sailed through the experience, so if you change your mind and would like more info, just pm me
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
    • Feral & Stray Foundation
  • Slave to: Nina, Nell, Ned, Marley, Twilight, Leon, Forest, Squirrel, Skunk, Gladys, Oscar, HRH Naughty Knickers & Uncle Albert!!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 17:46:15 PM »
Hiya,

My late girl, Evil Edna, was hyperthyroid, and because she was a little bit of a madam (well, a LOT of a madam!), tableting her would have meant finger loss!! I opted for a thyroidectomy (right side) and had pre-anaesthetic bloods done to ensure she was a viable anaesthetic candidate, which she was. Edna was late-teens, and I also put her on I/V fluids before and during surgery. She was absolutely fine after, and recovered really well. Obviously there is a higher risk the older the animals, so I highly recommend checking her kidney/liver on pre-op bloods and put them on I/V fluids, which all good vets recommend and offer.
Also, sounds like your vet's savvy about the op, as you have to leave the parathyroid in place. If they're stable on their meds this is better when the op is carried out.
I'm a vet nurse, and have seen this done several times with great success, so if I was in the position again, which I'm sure I will be as I take retirement cats on, I wouldn't hesitate if they're healthy enough for the op.

This below may also give you info:
http://www.fabcats.org/owners/hyperthyroidism/info.html

Liz
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 17:47:19 PM by MarleyMoo »
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
Hyperthyroid surgery - anyone had experience?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 14:41:59 PM »
In the past 6 months both my beloved boys have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.
Bailey (12yrs) has been on felimazole since January and his last bloods showed he was almost stable. Jake (14 yrs) is on vidalta and has only been on them for 8 weeks, he’s due another blood test soon.

They are both doing well with the medication and have had no side effects so far.

I have researched the radio-active iodine treatment but have decided against it as they are both very clingy and timid and have never spent even a night away from home.

My vet, who I trust completely, is very experienced in carrying out the surgery and says it’s definitely an option for them once they’re both stable enough.

I'm always worried about the risks of anaesthetic and I know you get recurrences even after surgery so I'm torn.

So, I was hoping to hear from anyone whose cat has been through the surgery. Hopefully hearing your stories will help me decide what’s best for them.

Thanks!

Link to CatChat