Author Topic: How long should I keep Basil indoors following his miraculous return home?  (Read 2005 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
The flesh will come in time and I am sure by the time you come back he will be ready fotr his next adventure  :innocent:

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
Thanks everyone,
I agree that we should keep him in until we return although he is dying to go out and keeps sitting by the door, looking wistful. It's going to be a very long 4 weeks!  I have seen cat milk in the supermarkets and will see if he will drink it - thanks for the suggestion SheilaRose.
He is in much better spirits than when he first came home, all he needs to do now is put on some flesh!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Agreed here too. He won't suffer for being kept in, but he could easily suffer if he's outside.

I would also expect him to miss you very much when you go on holiday and may decide he's been abandoned. Much better to keep him in, at least until you come home and can be there for him when he starts off on his adventures again.

As for his skinny hide, can you get cat milk in France? I know mine always beef up quicker if I let them have cat milk after an illness.

So pleased for you both.  ;D

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
I would also keep Basil in until you return from holiday.  TBH, whether or not you were going away, I would have treated him as a newbie and kept him in for a few weeks.

Am just so delighted for you.  Really tremendous news that he has come home  :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
I would keep him in too. or get a harness and take him for little walkies in the garden?

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
I would keep him in until you come back so he is safe and you have peace of mind when you are away
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I missed that bit about goiing away............and agree with Slugsta.......no point letting him out fopr a short while and then confining him.

Your friend should make sure that he absolutely cant get out.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
I think I would tend to keep him in until you get back from your trip, then treat him a bit like a newbie when you do let him out again.

However, there are people here who have faaaar more experience than me! ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I would keep him in a couple of weeks if possible  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
Sorry to keep banging on about Basil but, now that he is home from his 5 weeks on the lam, how long should I keep him indoors?  He normally goes in and out at will and now, 3 days after his return home, he is wanting to go out.He is eating and drinking and seems better in himself.  The vet said that he should stay in at least until tomorrow but, I am naturally scared to let him out at all in case he goes off again. He has lost a lot of weight and would probably not survive another spell without food. The vet also said that as he is now so boney, he could seriously hurt himself if he fell.Likewise I doubt that he could physically cope if he was attacked by another cat.  We are away for a week at the end of this month during which time all 3 cats will be indoors while a friend comes in daily to feed them. I would love to keep Basil in until we return but will that be too long? Has anyone else had this issue ? What should I do?

Link to CatChat