Author Topic: Best dry cat food?  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Beaker

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Algernon, Cosette, Heathcliff & Merlin
Re: Best dry cat food?
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 18:56:13 PM »
Hi there,

We use James Wellbeloved biscuits, they cost an arm and a paw but are well worth it, their coats look lovely and they always eat them right up. Two of our cats came from the RSPCA and they use James Well Beloved all the time.

My brother-in-law is a vet and their cat eats nothing but Science plan dried food, must be a boring diet but he looks well on it!

We are both veggies, but also give them Felix pouches too... I've never actually considered trying get the moggies go part-veggie too....hmm, interesting.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
Re: Best dry cat food?
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 16:29:39 PM »
I feed mine on Porta 21 I like the organic one as I'm vegan so at least the animals are more ethically raised. It's 35% meat I think which isn't the best but better than the stuff they sell in the supermarket. They do a grain free one as well which is 65% meat but not organic. Mine also like Applaws which is 80% meat although more expensive. You can get it from pets at home and zooplus.

dry http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/porta_21/porta21_holistic/92924

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jezabel
Best dry cat food?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 14:13:26 PM »
Ok so I have been reading up on this and have come across several conflicting views out there but who knows if they are from people peddaling the food so I thought I would ask you guys.

At the moment I have to give Jezabel RC s/0 and I just recently switched to Hill's for her and hse is fine with that and some wet food every now and again. Can I give that to Oscar the new kitty too...even if he doesn't have struvite stone problems? At the moment he is eating Go Cat indoor dry food and that new fancy Whiskas cuts wet food which is better than the nasty Asda crap he was eating before but I have noticed lately his poo is a bit softer...still formed but def softer and smellier. So I guess I am looking for a not overly expensive yet good dry food...unless I can just feed the Hill's c/d to both.

Oh and I can't do the raw diet thing and most of teh places say don't feed a food high in grains? I have also noticed that Oscar doesn't bury his poop right away and sometimes not at all and as he is blind he keeps stepping in it poor thing. So I am trying to fix that by switching to a more sandier consistent litter as maybe he finds it difficult to dig in the stuff he has now.

The thing is I am a pretty healthy eater and a vegetarian but even in the human world we get food scares taht turn out to be BS because science is changing our views all the time so some of teh stuff out there strikes me a scare mongering and some of it as quite helpful. After all I had a cat years ago who only ate cheap dry food and crisps and she lived until she was 20..not taht I am advocating feeding human food to cats but I am trying to see my way through all the stuff out there without becoming completely panicked and running off and spending more money on cat food than on my food. There has to be a happy medium for everyone.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 14:23:50 PM by princesskasren »

Link to CatChat