Author Topic: Kittens playing Hide and Seek?? LOL  (Read 1212 times)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
Re: Kittens playing Hide and Seek?? LOL
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 23:42:28 PM »
ps Helen, I used the blow in the face thing for whenever mine went behind the tv or on the kitchen bench and it worked a treat!

I don't know what they get up to when we're out, but they know now when they are somewhere they aren't meant to be!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 23:37:18 PM »
My two still do this - coming up 3 now, but mostly if I leave my shoelaces or dressing cord undone!  :rofl:

Good that you don't use your hands as toys tho, was forever telling my OH off about that!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 21:27:03 PM »
Yep, sounds pretty normal to me - my six year old cat still does it, he looks gutted when I spot him peeking at me from behind curtains or something  :evillaugh:

The arch back thing is him trying to make himself look bigger, same when they do the sideways running thing. I agree with Gill that the only thing you'd want to discourage is him 'playing' ie biting/chewing/scratching your hands, most kittens will go through a phase of this but it's easy enough to discouarge. Best way is to not squeal as he will think it's all part of the game, I used to blow sharply in their face which shocks them into stopping without being frightening or mean.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 11:29:20 AM »
He is just being a kitten and dont think this is bad.

Its allowing him to play with your hands which is to be discouraged but this kind of playing sounds fine  ;D

When he gets a brother or sister I am sure he will forget about you LOL

Offline Fiona!

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Oscar
Kittens playing Hide and Seek?? LOL
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 10:35:36 AM »
It's really funny, but my kitten Oscar has come up with a new game. I don't know if this is totally common to kitten behaviour, but this is what he does:

I will be doing something around the house, cleaning or tidying, and I will suddenly see Oscar spying at me over the edge of a table, or under a chair. When he sees I have noticed him, he arches his back, then runs towards me, but it's always in a playful, chaseful way.

Sometimes, to join in, I will slowly run away from him, and Oscar will go crazy running after me and trying to catch up with me lol.

It's always funny, this game of "Hide and Seek" and I love it, but I just wondered - should I discourage him playing with ME, rather than using toys? I don't want him to see me or any part of my body as a play thing lol.
Also, when he arches his back, I always thought that was an angry thing - is he being playful or am I actually annoying him without realising? LOL.

Just wondered what you thought...
"Sometimes," said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in our hearts."

Link to CatChat