Author Topic: How much moulting/shedding is too much?  (Read 1724 times)

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jezabel
Re: How much moulting/shedding is too much?
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 12:16:23 PM »
That is a good idea. I will shop around and see which is the best. Oscar has 2 beds in his room...the one he came with and one of Jezabel's old ones...plus he likes sleeping on the floor in the sun...following it around the room as the afternoon wanes.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 12:14:38 PM »
Ooh, that does look nice Sheilarose. Alfie doesn't have a bed, just sleeps where he watns, but there is one spot that he particularly likes and those pads look great for the colder months.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 12:11:06 PM »

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 11:43:23 AM »
Sheliarose that sounds sensible. I have een looking at little wooden step stools to put in the living room and by the beds in the house as I worry where he will go to stay warm in the winter as I don't leave the heating on at night as it's a waste of money when I have a nice warm duvet and a Jez to keep me warm!!!. So with steps I can teach him to crawl up and under teh covers.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 11:25:22 AM »
Oscar needs his claws though. I'd take advice from someone who has a blind kitty before cutting his front claws short, as he may rely on them for balance and it could disturb his equilibrium if they suddenly don't work any more.

Can you make him a little ramp to walk up onto your couch and cover it with carpet, maybe? He would be able to find his way to your lap without pulling himself up then?

As for picking him up, how about making a certain spot in the house his "landing" place, so whenever you do need to pick him up, he always gets put on the floor in the same spot? He would quickly learn that this is the case and would instantly know where he is.  Maybe by his food bowls?

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 23:59:53 PM »
Yeah Jezabel does the kneading thing on my lap sometimes for 5 mins before she settles down but with Oscar he has obviously just learnt to use his claws to help his balance. I don't want to pick him up and put him on my lap because everyone says not to do taht with a blind cat but he outs his front paws p on my lap then pulls himself up....I will def try a towel and get the vet to cut his claws short, At the moment Jezabel is feeling sorry for herself and needs some love so she has reverted back to her kittenhood when she used to sleep on my shoulder...of course now she's too big and she's snoring in my ear!!! LOL

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 23:23:29 PM »
Throw a small towel or blanket over your body and let him pummell that instead of your naked flesh.

Polly takes her affection out on my shoulder, I can sometimes push a blankie under her claws which she's delighted to kill with her love, but she still catches me sometimes.

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 11:17:09 AM »
I have one of these brushes.
http://www.purrfectpets.org.uk/images/products/cats/Cat%20Brush.jpg

as for flea control...well when he was checked by the vet they said he was fine and Jez is an inside cat too so is Oscar so they shouldn't have fleas. I Hve seen him bite at his nails but I will give the back ones a proper look.

At the moment he won't take no for an answer as he keeps wanting to get up on my lap which of course is cool but sometimes I am in the middle of something and have the laptop on my lap and he just starts climbing my leg...and it's not the annoyance it's that he digs in with his claws when he climbs. I don't think he knows what no is!!! LOL Then again what cat does?

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 02:48:51 AM »
Oscar may not have been properly groomed at all before he came to you. One of my cats sheds in chunks, especially around her back end. She's nearly 17 but has been like this all her life as she's not a natural groomer, and doesn't like being brushed by us.  :doh: We pretty much have to force her down to get through her coat which is fairly traumatic all around, but if we didn't do this occasionally, she would matt up horribly.

If Oscar doesn't/won't groom himself you'll want to start gentle grooming as a regular treatment for him, and get some good tools to do the job.

I like the Mikki range, (from ebay and amazon as well as most pet suppliers) especially the matt breakers of which I have two - one left and one right handed - you swap the blades so even a wriggly cat cat be groomed on both sides without being turned around. These pull out the undercoat, effectively thinning the fur out without pulling or tugging, so even if there are clumps he shouldn't experience any discomfort while being groomed. Set down some Dreamies in front of him to distract him and he'll soon come to appreciate your grooming sessions as a good thing.  ;)

Good grooming prevents/reduces the occurence of furballs too, so it is healthier for a high dependency cat like Oscar to get used to being properly brushed, especially this time of year. It will also keep you house cleaner and save you picking up vomited furballs for the rest of the Spring  :sick:

I'd also check his back claws aren't overgrown, if he's pulling clumps out by scratching he could be doing damage to the skin beneath too. As he's a fairly sedentary cat, as all blind cats tend to be, his back claws won't get any natural filing and he may not know how to bite his nails down (as most cats do when their claws become annoyingly long until they start to lose their teeth, anyway)  :-:

Thirdly, check his flea control is working. Excessive scratching is sometime (not always) as sign that either he has a minor infestation, or a flea allergy which can present after one single flea bite and doesn't necessarily mean he has fleas.  :-:

We're very, very good at flea treatment on here because we've all, without exception, had trouble with them in the past and occasionally still struggle to contain the little blighters, so no shame attached.  :shy:

Our resident professional cat groomer is Gill(Ambercat) from whom I learned everything I know about cat hair and it's removal, except what it tastes like in your dinner.  :rofl: Have a read of some of her posts, she knows her stuff.  :wow:

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
How much moulting/shedding is too much?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 16:45:51 PM »
Oscar is shedding a lot. Not randomly but whenever he scratches himself it comes out in little clumps? Is this normal? I ahven't noticed Jez leaving clumps all over. I am NOT bothered about the cleaning aspect I just want to make sure it's normal. Maybe he had grown a really thick coat when he had to live outside and now he's getting rid of it...

Link to CatChat