Author Topic: Best product to clean cat  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Bren22

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Carrie, Harvey & Jess & fostermum for CCG and all my lovely pets on the bridge
Re: Best product to clean cat
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 18:50:01 PM »
 :Crazy:I sometimes think I could hire out Harvey as an oil leak detector.  He loves lying under cars in the street and then comes back with various black splodges.  I used to worry about him licking it all off but he's come to no harm.  If he's really filthy - i.e. has rolled in compost or worse! - then I use baby wipes.  They remove most of the dirt and then he licks the rest, probably to remove the dampness of the wipes.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 11:31:52 AM »
I'd certainly check the ingredients, EmmyLou, before using them. I use the anti-allergen wipes from Pets at Home which are fine for occasional wipe downs.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 23:08:24 PM »
Luckily I have never had to use them, I now wouldn't buy their products, especially their flea treatment - but like I say may be handy in emergencies. Would you recommend I bin them then?
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 15:39:32 PM »
Personally from what Ive heard I wouldnt use Bob Martin I would use a wet facecloth if allowed

Me too, steer clear of Bum Martins, too many disaster stories for my liking.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 23:06:46 PM »
Personally from what Ive heard I wouldnt use Bob Martin I would use a wet facecloth if allowed

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 23:01:03 PM »
I have some Bob Martin pet wipes that I have in case of emergency (have had them about 2 years now...)

You can get them from sainsbury, but Oscar will probably do the job himself, I would just leave him to it  :hug:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 22:05:19 PM »
Bay wipes the unscented ones are good - I use them on kittens and the dirt does take some time to come off - I have a pure white longhaired baby Master Echo Beach and he is sporting a grey streak currently on his head it will come off in time
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 19:31:13 PM »
Yes I had this problem too when Sasa who is a calico tortie ran away for about 6 months and just came in to eat and all her white fur was orange and it took her ages but she eventually got it all off.

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jezabel
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 19:29:02 PM »

Ok. he's actually not that bothered by me touching him now. I used teh sock method to transfer Jezabel's scent to him so he's used to me stroking him now. I did try cotton buds with water on his eyes but he really didn't like that!!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 19:26:42 PM »
I had this problem recently when my grey/white cat turned into a grey/ginger cat! He had rubbed himslef in a pile of builders sand and had orange feet, face, chest and neck, even his grey bits had a ginger tinge! I got a towel and dampened it with warm water and tried to rub it off him but he wasn't happy about me doing it so I gave up.

I think as Oscar is blind and new to you it might be a bit worrying for him being rubbed down. Sheilas ideas of squeezing a bit of warm water on his paws sounds I good idea as this will encourage him to do the washing himself!

With his eyes you can clean them gently with cooled boiled water on cotton wool, a separate ball for each eye to minimise the chances of spreading if there's any infection.

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 19:23:10 PM »
Is this blind Oscar? I wouldn't worry about the dirty paws too much, in time he will clean them off himself. Best way without chemicals is to wipe a little dampness onto his paws, maybe a warm wet kitchen towel squeezed over his feet? Then he should clean them himself.  ;)

Yep Oscar///ok sounds good. I wouldn't really want to use chemicals anyway. His eyes are a bit weepy too poor thing.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 19:20:35 PM »
Is this blind Oscar? I wouldn't worry about the dirty paws too much, in time he will clean them off himself. Best way without chemicals is to wipe a little dampness onto his paws, maybe a warm wet kitchen towel squeezed over his feet? Then he should clean them himself.  ;)

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
Best product to clean cat
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 19:04:44 PM »
Having never had a cat with partly white fur I have no idea what to use to clean him as he is still quite mucky in the paws from his days on his own. Someone recommended dry shampoo?

Link to CatChat