Author Topic: Cat-tracking /gps systems?  (Read 1307 times)

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
Re: Cat-tracking /gps systems?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 17:04:54 PM »
Mine have loc8tor trackers on their collars, in the tag cases which slide over the collar.  They are far from perfect, not least because the range is quite limited, but they do give me peace of mind.  They are supposed to work over 400ft+ in an open space, but it's nothing like that through fences and walls. Even so, if you walk around your area for long enough waving it in all directions, you are likely to find them eventually, which is why I stick with it.  If your boys lose their collars a lot that isn't too helpful, but on the up side, you will at least be able to find the collar again!  And if kitty goes missing when collar comes off, it will give you a clue as to which way they went. 

I haven't seen a proper GPS suitable for cats yet, because they require a constant power source, the battery packs make them quite large so at the moment they're only recommended for dogs.  Give it another 5 years or so and I reckon GPS for cats might be an option. 

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
Cat-tracking /gps systems?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 15:22:13 PM »
Hello, some of you may be aware that my cat Basil has been missing for more than 2 weeks now. We are frantic with worry and I have become paranoid about our other 2 cats both of whom are very fond of being outdoors. During the summer they will be gone 24/7 just returning once or twice daily for food. Obviously I just don't have the guts for outdoor cats but it's too late now - that's what they are.  Has anyone got an opinion or experience of any of the cat tracking/locating contraptions available? My boys tend to be hard on collars as they have the quick-release types. They go through them like sweeties, and I think that these locators are attached to collars which is an issue we would need to consider carefully. Anyway, any opinions or advice will be welcome. BTW all 3 are chipped.

Link to CatChat