Author Topic: Update on adopted blind kitty  (Read 12730 times)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Re: Update on adopted blind kitty
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2013, 21:46:37 PM »
I always go to the longest resident, bribe with a treat then the newbie
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jezabel
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2013, 21:09:32 PM »
ok so inadvertent meeting and Jez lashed out at |Oscar. She had been so friendly recently watching Oscar and being curious but they got too close and she lashed out. So now Oscar wants love and Jez is pissed at me...so who do I go to first> lol

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2013, 15:54:12 PM »
I do hope that one day he will be interested in toys or maybe climbing as I don't want him to be bored. I of course got noisy bell, crnikly paper toys and spryaed catnip on all surfaces but he just does not seem interested at all. :(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2013, 11:57:31 AM »
If he is fully confident moving round his room, then yes but becareful of stairs  ;D

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2013, 09:58:54 AM »
I wonder during this week Oscar is in his own safe room should I maybe put Jez in a room for a bit and let Oscar roam and learn more of teh house before they meet?

Oh and I have also Mcguyvered a netting for the door to his room so when they are ready to meet I can just hook it on both sides of the door...weigh the bottom down with a couple of rocks and they can sniff each other through the netting. It was just some pea/bean netting I had from the greenhouse!

Jezabel now sits outside his room whenever I am in there and miaows so she's catchin on.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 10:02:20 AM by princesskasren »

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2013, 20:23:23 PM »
I thought it was dry food that caused these issues as cats don't drink enough and get no moisture from dry food. I would definitely feed my two mainly on wet but Xander just won't eat much wet food. He does have a water fountain and that encourages him to drink more.

I don't know about vets but if they anything like doctors they know very little about diet and nutrition. From what I hear doctors get one day training in nutrition.   

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2013, 18:36:36 PM »
I always thought that dry only food was not good but dont know why.

She gets wet food once a week as the Royal Canin didn't come in wet variety so I had to buy reg wet food from Tesco's but I do get those lttle pots with the real cuts of meat...who knows really...I mean sometimes doctors/vets actually do know stuff! lol I think the best way to do it is to just try something and when it works stick to it. Jez doesn't have them so bad that she has had blockages just irritation that made her urine bloody and gave her pain and a UTI.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2013, 18:25:47 PM »
I always thought that dry only food was not good but dont know why.

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2013, 18:16:09 PM »
Then you go and do research online and get confused all over again.
http://vetmedicine.about.com/b/2006/01/20/good-food-for-cat-with-struvite-crystals-2.htm

That article says vets shouldn't be prescribing dry food for cats with crystals and that Hill's is full of crap and Wellnesss food is giving their cats crystals! Some suggest a raw diet but although I don't mind giving my cats food with meat in ot I am a vegetarian and no way am I dealing with raw meat...lol

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 09:42:13 AM »
Thanks Shelia sounds like a plan.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2013, 08:13:14 AM »
This Hills CD is the less potent maintenance version of their SD  - which I think is the equivalent to the Royal Canin S/O your Jez is on. If she is definitely prone to struvite, the lower strength one may be enough for her as the active ingredient in both Hills and RC is the same, so she will still be getting the same treatment. And its cheaper. CD also comes in wet pouch form which she might like as a treat but my lot prefer the dry kibble in chicken flavour. Try a small bag of each?

As for your vet selling you the marked up RC stuff, some practices do take commission from the suppliers, so it could be a factor, but don't let that put you off your vet as they are unlikely to prescribe a product they don't believe in, if you are happy with his services. The reason you're on RC and not Hills is simply because the RC sales rep got to your vet before the Hills rep did.  :shify:

Try some of the other animal suppliers for cost. VetUK and Animed Direct also supply meds like Frontline, Programme and Advantage and wormers and are come highly recommended for good, genuine products and competitve prices. Animed has free delivery on everything.

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 22:14:54 PM »
Well I get Jezabels litter tray liners extra giant from Petplanet so I looked on there and tehy have Hill's as well...plus they take Paypal which I prefer to use as it is safer and also they do free delivery on orders over £30 I think...I may try to get some when her food runs out and try it for a month. I can always switch back and I have often wondered if perhpas the vet just wants me to buy their food with teh crazy mark up and I know Jez would love another flavour!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2013, 22:11:33 PM »
Great about Oscar using his covered tray  ;D

I dont know if you should change to Hills but certainly worth looking online for as many options that you can and it will be cheaper than the vet, sorry you would have to check each one for P&P and then calculate against petrol to vets and the vets inflated prices.

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 22:04:01 PM »
Should I try switching to Hills then? I never knew you could get this stuff online. Because i live out in the middle of nowhere it takes 3 buses to get to the vets to pick up her food as they shut down my vets branch that was only 5 miles away and I have heard bad things about the other local place. I never even thought to check online as I assumed the delivery would be astronomical and sometimes tehy class me as the Highlands and charge courier fees!
On a good point Oscar is using his covered litterbox with no problems.

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 21:58:14 PM »
Whilst Oscar is awaiting introduction he needs to be fed separately - feeding is one of those delicate occasions that can make or break a relationship, so definitely keep them apart during dinner.

Just as an aside, how long does Jez need to be on her S/O diet? My lot are on the Hills maintenance version (CD) as both Sly and Tuffers are prone to struvite crystals but the vet wants me to discontinue use after 6 months.

They all love CD however, as it has flavour enhancers in it to make sure the affected cat eats his cure! To be honest its easier just to leave a bowl down for everyone to enjoy a bite now and again (except Sammy who has grain intolerance and prefers James Wellbeloved anyway).

You might be able to get your food cheaper on-line? Try bestpet for prices?

http://www.bestpet.co.uk/setSessionLocale/product?product_id=10070&newLocale=en_GB

Yeah I am feeding them apart at the moment just wondered for the future. Jez has been on the s/o for maybe 2 years now. Everytime teh vet took her off it and I fed her reg food she just started getting bleeding and UTI's.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2013, 18:29:01 PM »
I second everything Sheila has said, she is so sensible and knowledgeable  ;D

Its what makes Purrs a great place to give you the benefit of everyones experience and knowleadge. I am sure that in a few months you will look back amd wonder why you were so worried that this would work ;D

I can look back on 7 years of my semiferal Sasa being scared to be stroked and looking like she so wanted stroking and suddenly last year she allowed stroking  ;D ;D

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2013, 14:24:47 PM »
Whilst Oscar is awaiting introduction he needs to be fed separately - feeding is one of those delicate occasions that can make or break a relationship, so definitely keep them apart during dinner.

Just as an aside, how long does Jez need to be on her S/O diet? My lot are on the Hills maintenance version (CD) as both Sly and Tuffers are prone to struvite crystals but the vet wants me to discontinue use after 6 months.

They all love CD however, as it has flavour enhancers in it to make sure the affected cat eats his cure! To be honest its easier just to leave a bowl down for everyone to enjoy a bite now and again (except Sammy who has grain intolerance and prefers James Wellbeloved anyway).

You might be able to get your food cheaper on-line? Try bestpet for prices?

http://www.bestpet.co.uk/setSessionLocale/product?product_id=10070&newLocale=en_GB

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 13:23:35 PM »
Also an ideas on how to prevent new cat oscar from eating resident cats food? Jezabel is on special urinary s/o diet and oscar can eat whatever but i don't want Jez eating  reg cat food because then she gets crytsals in her urine and I don't want Oscar munching on his food and then on Jez's food as taht crap is expensive!!!
Jez is a grazer so I put food in her dish in the morning and she eats when she's hungry. She's just a little cat(she's 9) and has never had a huge appetite for food. Would it be better to switch them both to separate feeding times?

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2013, 12:55:24 PM »
That's a good start, no substitute for knowledge.

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2013, 12:05:07 PM »
Ok so got some info from Cats protection. the lady taht found him took him to the vet to be neutred and taht's when they found out he was blind. So yes taht was pretty recent as they found him about 2 months ago.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 12:18:14 PM by princesskasren »

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 11:59:22 AM »
You're not whinging, hon, just naturally concerned about your new set of circumstances.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

We'd all be feeling a bit anxious in your shoes :scared: Do feel free to come on here and vent your feelings, it's one of the best ways I find to relax.  :)

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 11:35:24 AM »
There's no outward physical signs of castration with male cats - even a day after the op you'd be hard pressed to see any difference. I would assume therefore that his neutering is fairly recent as Jez is being territorial, Oscar will still have some male urges which are making her uncomfortable.

For this reason alone they need a slow introduction. Oscar's urges to wander and mark territory may still be with him and it can take up to six months for the hormones in an adult tom to settle and for him to relax into a life of contented celibacy. Not that you need to keep them apart for six months - a week or two should do it, but slowly slowly when you do start letting them spend time together, and never unaccompanied until you know for sure they won't fight.

The best thing you can do to relax the situation in your household, is to relax yourself.

:relax:

Seriously if you are stressed, the animals will pick up on this stress too. I'm sorry you've found yourself on your own but try to relax around your animals and enjoy your new freedom, and use your new family member as therapy for your own anxiety.  :care:

Now you have Oscar who is blind you have someone who will always want to hear the sound of your voice  :hug: so talk to him, go sit with him and tell him all about yourself, let him know how much he means to you, y'know small talk? He'll be your adoring best friend in no time.  :Luv:

You don't need to hold back, cats are unconditional once they've decided to love you.

Thanks that is good advice and I am sorry if it sounded like i was whinging!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 11:19:52 AM »
There's no outward physical signs of castration with male cats - even a day after the op you'd be hard pressed to see any difference. I would assume therefore that his neutering is fairly recent as Jez is being territorial, Oscar will still have some male urges which are making her uncomfortable.

For this reason alone they need a slow introduction. Oscar's urges to wander and mark territory may still be with him and it can take up to six months for the hormones in an adult tom to settle and for him to relax into a life of contented celibacy. Not that you need to keep them apart for six months - a week or two should do it, but slowly slowly when you do start letting them spend time together, and never unaccompanied until you know for sure they won't fight.

The best thing you can do to relax the situation in your household, is to relax yourself.

:relax:

Seriously if you are stressed, the animals will pick up on this stress too. I'm sorry you've found yourself on your own but try to relax around your animals and enjoy your new freedom, and use your new family member as therapy for your own anxiety.  :care:

Now you have Oscar who is blind you have someone who will always want to hear the sound of your voice  :hug: so talk to him, go sit with him and tell him all about yourself, let him know how much he means to you, y'know small talk? He'll be your adoring best friend in no time.  :Luv:

You don't need to hold back, cats are unconditional once they've decided to love you.

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 10:34:17 AM »
Nope they only told me he was neutered but I don't see any fresh scars or even recent. I think Jez is just being territorial and I am just wanting them to get on right away because I guess i am a worry wart and I keep dreading taht it will not work and I will have to give him back...so while trying to bond with him I feel like I am holding back a bit as well..if that makes sense?,I don't mind taht he is blind and it's ok if he turns out to be a sedate kitty that just likes to hang out where it is warm and sleep...if he doesn't learn to play with toys it's ok as long as he is happy and Jez is happy then i am happy.
It's just me since my partner left me so I think it is all just a bit overwhelming.
Thanks for all the advice.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 10:27:34 AM »
Poor wee man.  :( At least he's landed on his paws with you now, and will be happy once he's made friends with Jez. She sounds like she needs loads of reassurance, and from what you've said will benefit from a slow introduction as she needs time to realise that she is still your number 1.  :hug:

Make sure you spend lots of time fussing her when you've been in with Oscar, let her smell his scent on your hands as you stroke her so she starts to associate his scent with nice sensations. Dreamies also help with reassurance (well they help with everything in our house  :rofl: ).

Do you know how long ago Oscar was castrated? I wonder if he has still some overtly masculine hormones hanging around that would make Jez uncomfortable about his presence.  :shify:

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 10:17:36 AM »
Oh I know it will take patience and I do announce myself when I go in. I have jsut never adopted an adult cat and am so used to bonding with a kitten right away and Oscar seems very grumpy today. Jezabel spent all night outside his door miaowing and then waking me up as she frantically kept marking me/rubbing up against me.
I was told he was abandoned and the woman who rescued him couldn't keep him because her husband is allergic. He is 3 and there doesn't seem to be anything physically wrong with his eyes and he seems a bit more steady on his feet this morning. He had his innoculations and he was blood tested by Cats protection so he was given a clean bill of health. Maybe teh tail thing is because he was injured at some point. I mean cats tails are slinky snaky and his is just stiff.
...and seriously what monster abandons a blind cat? Perhaps he recently lost his site and taht is why he is so unsteady...and no jumping or chasing noisy balls with bells he just doesn't seem interested in much except eating and sleeping.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 09:44:02 AM »
One of my cats is deaf and I have to "announce" my presence before petting her or she jumps out of her skin. I do this by tapping the floor with my foot so she knows I'm close then she turns and sees me so doesn't freak when I touch her.

Maybe your blind cat needs a signal to let him know you're about to touch him, which would help him to enjoy your attentions?

Perhaps some kissy noises whilst petting him, so he comes to associate kissy noises with strokes and will be more relaxed when you touch him.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 01:11:07 AM »
You need to realize that all will change when he gets used to being in a new place and has figured out where everything is and who is around.

A video would be good.

What were you told about Oscar before you took him on?

Instead of just touching him , let him sniff your hand and fingers first, he needs to get used to your scent. Also talked to him softly before doing anything and try shutting your eyes and walking round a room you know and this will give you an idea how scarey it is for him right now.

Please just be patient about everything.

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 23:09:57 PM »
I am probably being paranoid but i might try and get a video of him tomorrow and post it to see what people think. i have no experience with a blind cat so don't know how they are supposed to move and all the videos on Youtube are of blind cats just being normal...climbiing and jumping etc.

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 23:07:24 PM »
Check Youtube for robotic cat syndrome - the gait is very distinctive and you should immediately be able to rule it out. I had the same thoughts about one of my cat's weak hind legs but seeing the video footage has convinced me and my vet to look elsewhere for our diagnosis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UJ9mF3PSY0

Yeah it's not quite as weird as that but he's really stiff when he turns around to clean his back...as if he cannot bend properly to reach it and he def has a very stiff tail. I guess as I have only had him for a day and he is still exploring and I haven't seen him run or jump maybe it's just sort of taht he's keeping low to the ground and wary.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 22:56:45 PM »
Check Youtube for robotic cat syndrome - the gait is very distinctive and you should immediately be able to rule it out. I had the same thoughts about one of my cat's weak hind legs but seeing the video footage has convinced me and my vet to look elsewhere for our diagnosis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UJ9mF3PSY0

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 22:46:24 PM »
Also i read this and gotr a bit freaked as we are in NE Scotland but Oscar is only 3 so I am hoping his gait is just because he's being cautious!
http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/vet/news-events/news/cats-240412

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 22:34:11 PM »
He's quite stiff when he walk and always keeps his tail straight out horizontally...even when he curls up and tucks his feet under his tail is always straight out...is that a balance thing? He finally figured out that Jez was waiting on the other side of the door and he growled under his breath....uh oh

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 17:27:45 PM »
Congratulations on your new kitty. Pictures would be good when you get a chance.

My old cat that was blind always squeaked or did a small meow when ever she was touched.  I'm not sure about him losing his balance when he licks himself but I would just keep an eye on him for now.   
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 17:31:55 PM by Mymblesdaughter »

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 17:12:07 PM »
Gill's right. The most successful introductions are those allowed to develop with a bit of mystery. Have a look here for some guidance - never too late to start from the beginning.  ;D

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,4789.0.html

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 17:04:49 PM »
I think you should stay with the small shallow tray cos he may have probs getting into a deep one and am sure his senses are telling him its a scary place.

With all introductions you should go SLOWLY, this means weeks or months if necessary and do not think you should leave the door open but yes you should spend time with Oscar.

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 15:32:11 PM »
Hahaha I spoke too soon. Just came out of oscar's room and Jez was waiting...she approached him warily then hissed and ran off...normal behaviour? No punches were thrown and Oscar bless him just wanted to say hello.

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
Update on adopted blind kitty
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 15:10:23 PM »
So new kitty arrived this morning. His name is going to be Oscar. My Cat Jezabel seems more scared than aggressive. At the moment Oscar is in the upstairs spare room and Jez just sits outside but if I open the door a crack and new cat Oscar peeps out Jez just runs and finds the highest point in the house. Do you think it's better she's wary rather than being aggressive? As for Oscar's blindness....he seems to be learning  his way around the room ok he seems a bit unsteady on his feet...like when he turned to lick his back he sort of lost his balance but I assume that is normal? I try to announce myself when I go in and go to touch him but he seems to miaow when you touch him...not in annoyance maybe just in greeting? Anyway it's only the first day so baby steps. Jez is eating and peeing and is lying in the sun at the momeny downstairs with me but she knows he's in the house. W

What do you think my next step should be? Maybe tomorrow i should hang out in Oscar's room for a bit with the door open and see if Jez comes to investigate?
Oh and he came with a very small shallow litter tray but I bought a covered big one. I tried to put him in it but i think he thought he was going in the cat carrier and he got a bit riled so hopefully he will get used to it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 15:11:38 PM by princesskasren »

Link to CatChat