Author Topic: Basil is missing and I'm a wreck. Basil came home!!!!!!!  (Read 18573 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Basil is missing and I'm a wreck.
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2013, 01:57:26 AM »
You really should read that thread Rumletum cos its so uplifting  :hug: :hug:

Offline nicter

• Senior Cat
  • Nicky-Mum to Scamp Bonnie, Willum Rossi & Poppet
  • Slave to: Alfie. Poppet. Rossi. Willum Merlin
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2013, 21:50:25 PM »
This is the cat Lia that went missing on the way to germany
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,34187.msg607768.html#msg607768
RIP Tigger Button Whisky Maisie, Merlin and Alfie Pawprints on my heart forever

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2013, 20:27:40 PM »
Thank you Gill and Souffle. My head says that we have done all we can, it's my heart that is the problem. Here in France, they would not bother looking for a cat. Their attitude is that if he is alive, then he is being taken care of by someone. It is true that some people leave out food for strays or, feed their cats outdoors. So, I have to hope that he is OK and yes, I have heard of the cat in Germany along with many other incredible stories of cats returning home many months or even years later so I certainly have not lost hope. My OH is cutting short his trip so he will be back in 2 weeks. I have found an English therapist and have had a couple of helpful sessions with her over the phone. She is also a cat-person so that helps. It's comforting to know that Basil can't know how I feel. Some 'animal communicators'  say that we can transmit our emotions to our cats so it is important t o only project positive thoughts. At this point I am prepared to believe anything, but I think that Souffle is more likely to be right .  Anyway, it's great to be able to come here and have a good cry now and again . Thank you for being there for me.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2013, 17:55:19 PM »
He won't know how you feel Rumbletum. Cats are free spirits and sometimes they make choices for themselves. Maybe he has a new home or maybe he likes living in the wild now. Try and accept his choice and think that if that is what makes him happy then you must let him go and live the life he has chosen. I guess it is a bit like letting our children go free when they grow up - some want to live alone and make there own way and others are home birds. It's always hard for the parents but you know it has to be.
I wish I could help you feel calmer but I do think you should try and stop feeling guilty about him being missing. Keep hoping but also accept what will be will be. I have a friend whose cat has twice gone AWOL for 6 months and one day turned up again, looking perfectly well fed and clean. He appears to have two homes!
It IS hard, easier said than done, but remember there are some things in life we simply cannot change. Using all your emotional energy fretting and grieving is making your life sad and and unhappy. He would never want that. Look after yourself and maybe even see your doctor or try and talk it through with someone who understands. I hope you can again find your joy in life and turn it into something positive. I am sending you soothing and healing vibes and  :hug: s to comfort you xx Take care.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2013, 17:29:11 PM »
Your feelings are not being transmitted to him.

What has been said about calming down, staying positive etc is the only thing you can do if you feel you have exhausted all other options..............afraid its just a waiting game.

There is a thread on here about cat who was being transported by road to germany i believe, they stopped off at a motorway hotel over night in this country and the cat.........think a main coone somehow got out and they were forced to travel on without him as he had vanished.

A couple on Purrs lived in the vacinity and continued looking for him, it was also put in the press, flyers were done etc etc They would go back regularily to scoure the area and question all the shop keepers again and again.

This went on for months and on one visit a shop keeper said he had seen him  and this resulted in him being trapped and he was held with some one safely until the owners could get back to the UK and take him to his new home in Germany.

This was an amazing story on Purrs that we followed and how unbelievable could it be that the cat was found in the same area he had gone missing months before.

Afraid cant remember the cats name or would be able to do a search for the thread.

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2013, 17:16:35 PM »
Hi again,

No sign of Basil - it will be 3 weeks tomorrow. I'm still a mess. My OH is away now so that makes it worse. I really need to know how the rest of you coped emotionally when your furbabies went missing. I am still searching and calling but he's just vanished. I keep thinking about the last time I saw him and wish that I had known - I would never have let him go.
I don't want to give up hoping and I really do believe that he is out there somewhere.I have been advised to try to calm down, stay positive and wait for him to return. If only it were that simple. My fear is that my feelings are somehow being transmitted to him which is not helpful to him.  Am I going nuts? I could do with some words of encouragement please.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2013, 18:59:45 PM »
Lots of cats seem to get locked in sheds and empty houses, so that could have happened then when he got home no one was around.

One of my old cats was always getting locked in peoples shed usually my next door neighbours.

Were there any deliveries to your house on the day he went missing, last year my mother in law found a cat that had jumped into a delivery van luckily the people realised she was the next delivery and came and knocked on the door. She found the cat a couple of days later.

I definitely wouldn't give up yet.   

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 18:10:43 PM »
Hi again, Tilly, this is what is puzzling - if a cat is living / hiding next door, why don't they just come home?  Where we live is very rural with thousands of places for a cat to hide in hedges etc. If I lived to be ancient, I probably couldn't search them all.

Some years ago, our neighbours who live in Belgium came down for the summer hols with their 2 cats. A week before they were due to go back to Belgium, their male cat went missing. They had to return to up north  without him. Five weeks later, he appeared on the terrace of another neighbour. He would not let me catch him but thankfully, another neighbour had a key to the house, so I went in and left the door open and waited quietly. The cat slowly entered and went for the food I had put out and I shut the door. He was just so happy to be home it was wonderful to see. So he was gone for 6 weeks. Mind you, I always wondered if he had been coming home for some time but no-one had seen him. I have always wondered where he had spent all that time. he was a bit thinner but otherwise fit.

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 17:50:39 PM »
Thank you again, your positive remarks are wonderful to hear. My friend in the UK told me that her cat showed up after nine months so that's what I keep telling myself!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 17:32:13 PM »
You must remain positive and keep looking, two weeks is nothing  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 16:25:10 PM »
many have turned up after longer, one case that sticks in my mind was Tilly who belonged to pinkbear, she was missing for a good couple of months and turned out to be living in the hedge next door, she had just completely lost her way  :hug: to you

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 16:23:29 PM »
Hi, still no sign of him. i know there is nothing anyone can say to make me feel better - I just needed to say 'hello'. Am trying to remain positive and tell myself that cats are very clever and resilient and he will just show up one day but after 2 weeks it's increasingly hard to believe. Sorry to be so glum.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 16:53:20 PM »
My opinion for what its worth is to go out after dark with a friend and spend about 30 mins to an hour at each of the three sites, take food and a dish,a carrier and wander round calling him and listen for sounds of a cat or movement.

If you can do this same pattern for a few nights on the run, if its him he may get the hang of you coming and get brave and show himself.

Good luck  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 15:33:36 PM »
Hello again,  I could so with your opinions on a logistical issue re. helping Basil to come home.  Over the last week-10 days we have had many people call, claiming to have seen him but, no luck in our actually seeing him. The problems are 1) we are pretty rural so there are allegedly lots of ferals/strays out on the edges of the village although seemingly, none where we are. 2) the sightings of Basil have been clustered in about 3 different locations, none of them in what I would think of as his territory, so if he is an any of them, he is lost. 3) we have no evidence that any sightings are actually Basil. So, the question is, should I go out at night ( with a friend) to these locations in the hope that he is there and hears me? As I cannot be in 3 places at once, how do I choose?  I seriously doubt that I will actually find him because I doubt that he would show himself. I have recently concluded that I have to just hope that he can find his own way home but, it's hard to just leave him to his own devices if there is something that can be done to help.  A friend has suggested putting down food in these locations but, how would that help? I have read all of the great tips on this site and many suggest leaving out food here at home but again, it would just be eaten by other cats and i don't want to encourage other cats not to go home. Has anyone any ideas how to approach this?

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 18:32:49 PM »
Sorry to hear Basil is AWOL ... please check out the tip on the link that Tiggy's mum posted.  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 11:19:27 AM »
He could have been chased out of his territory and been scared to come back, gotten lost and could not find his was back so therefore found a new 'home' - no matter how lovely his home with you was if he was scared he may not have been brave enough to return.
Perhaps extending your poster search a little further would help? Maybe put them in large supermarkets in surrounding areas where a lot of people visit?
I do hope you find him. The 'not knowing' must be the worst thing ever but you do know that you have tried your best and really tried for him and sometimes we have to accept that we cannot change what will be however we don't stop trying just in case xx
Sending you calming vibes and hope for his safe return. Are there any fellow UK citizens around that you may be able to find friendly support with?
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 10:20:40 AM »
I would say it sounds pretty likely that this has happened. Cat get stressed very easily. Someone on the forum was having problems with one of her cats and it was because a cat had moved into the area and was looking in the window etc. This could be why people are seeing him around.

I wonder if the cat that's attacking him is spayed. I don't know about France but in Italy they don't believe in neutering their cats. If he's not it means he's probably a lot meaner than your cat.

Sorry I can't help with how to get him back but if this is the case it means it's definitely worth keeping up the search.

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 06:24:41 AM »
Hello again,

has anyone had any experience of a cat being chased away from his territory by another cat?  This was suggested by a friend. Several months ago, Basil had obviously been in a fight and had developed an abscess. He had some black fur in his claws but I did not suspect either of my 2 other boys as they tend not to fight. There is another black cat - which seems to be quite aggressive. I have seen him chase other cats . Then Basil was slightly injured another 2 times, once his ear was nicked and the next time, he had lots of scratches all over him. The vet said they were superficial. However, the night that he came in with these injuries, he seemed shattered but the next day, he was ok other than having a trip to the vet. My other cat, Ollie may also have been injured by this cat as he too developed an abscess on his leg from a bite. I think this other cat has moved into the area within the last 6 months or so as there are some new homes withing a few 100 yards as the crow flies. I have seen him around quite a bit and many times in our garden, even coming right up to the patio doors.  My OH saw him lying under a caravan parked outside one of the new homes. If this is the case, I have no idea how to deal with it. I can't get rid of the other cat and I doubt that its owner would agree to keep it indoors. In any case, if Basil has been scared away, how would he feel safe enough to come home?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 21:13:42 PM »
Sorry to hear that Basil is missing, I can only imagine the anguish that you're going through - even moreso being in a foreign country  :hug: Have you seen the lists of hints/tips here http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,305.0.html Worth a look as there are lots of great ideas that have helped so many cats be reunited with their owners

We live on the edge of a small village in France. We have bombarded the village with fliers and posters and everyday we get someone calling thinking they have seen Basil but we never get there in time so we cannot verify that it is him.

I actually think this is really positive, I know you are not getting there in time to see whether the cat is or isn't Basil but at least you are getting some leads - even more encouraging in what I guess is a small population.

Do you drive? If you do you could make up some posters in French with Basil's photos and display them in your car window so wherever you are in the village your posters will go with you.

Fingers crossed that Basil is back home ASAP, I know it is far easier said than done but don't ever give up hope as you hear so many stories of cats coming back after weeks, months and even years  :hug:

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 20:00:50 PM »
Hello again, Mymblesdaughter is absolutely correct about how hard it is managing something like this in a foreign language. My French is average but all of the people who have called since he left are French speakers and I have really struggled to understand them and, to make myself understood. It has been incredible how much the local people seem to care about Basil. Today the postman phoned to say he may have seen him. I wan't sure where he meant so he said that he would wait for me in a certain place which he did. He then drove while I followed him . This was while he was still on his round. Unfortunately, there was no Basil but the postman went on my behalf to a house to speak to the owner, just in case Basil was hiding there. This afternoon  I had a complete meltdown, my poor husband even offered to cancel his trip. While I was bubbling, I realised that because I am having to speak French all of the time, I am bottling up everything inside. We do have lots of English friends but at the moment, so many of them are having serious issues of their own, separation, illness, divorce, it seems wrong to burden them further. I am also feeling guilty about my other 2 boys. They tend to be more outdoorsy than Basil so now that the weather is good, after a dreadful winter, they are both out and come in just to eat. I was closer to Basil because he seemed to like to be with me - he was /is my companion and friend.
In response to Sheilarose, Basil is neutered although some people think that neutered males can still show an interest?  he has simply never done anything like this before. Anyway, I realise that I am blathering endlessly but it is really good to know that there is aplace like this for just such a purpose. At least you all can just turn me off when it gets too much! Thank you all for listening .

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 19:15:43 PM »
My cat died when I was living in a small village in Italy and it was a very difficult time for me. It was made more unbearable by the fact that I felt totally isolated and had come to rely on my cat for companionship. I found it difficult to speak Italian and I was very reliant on my partner whose Italian was much better than mine. I didn't have any friends of my own nearby. This might not be the case with you but reading between the lines it does sound like you might be feeling the same way.

Could you get a friend or relative to visit it would help to take your mind off things. Maybe plan a trip to the UK when your husband returns.

Best wishes and I really hope Basil returns soon. :hug: 

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 18:24:03 PM »
Can I ask if Basil was neutered?

Your latest comments sound like they come from someone speaking about an entire male, or one very recently castrated but still experiencing hormonal drive. Unneutered toms can and do frequently wander away from home in search of new territory driven by the need to find females to mate with. Some return weeks or months later, others never come home. Neutered male cats, however, tend to stay close to home so if Basil was neutered I would continue my search as its unlikely he's taken himself off in this way.

You sound like you are stabilising. Sometimes just writing it all down can act as a catheter to your anxiety. You don't need to use any of the advice we're offering, just know most of us have been in your situation, and whatever our personal outcomes were, we all know the sickening empty feeling when you become overwhelmed by dread, grief and self-blame.

The important thing is to share - information, feelings and especially news - good or bad. Set up a website for Basil, re-post his details every week on the local lost and found boards, keep yourself busy with postings and read everything furiously. This will help to divert your anxiety into positive action, when you're exhausted, you will sleep better and eventually will begin to come to terms with life until he comes home.

People on here who have lost cats and have no resolution have swerved into cat rescue themselves, as hunting high and low for their cat has highlighted how many unclaimed "found" cats there are in rescues everywhere, and for caring folk like us this becomes an unbearable, irresistable pull, and a great healer in itself.

I have lost two cats over the years. I found one of mine alive after a week, using these techniques. Beau was trapped in a scaffolder's shed after he fell through the roof! Sadly the other, my baby calico girl Cassie, was killed on the road but I didn't find out for three weeks as she wasn't microchipped. The council had collected her body but failed to note her description in their records for three weeks.

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 17:18:41 PM »
hello again,

It's very good to hear from everyone so thank you. We do not have a catflap so I am going to leave the garage door ajar through the night and I will leave some water and kibble out. I had read about leaving the worn clothes out already and gave it a try in the early days. I have been wearing the same nightdress and dressing gown since he left, with the intention of leaving it outside!  I am aware of the French website for lost cats and initially posted Basil's details on there but took it off because the website kept warning about unscrupulous people who target people like me, claiming to have found the cats but are in fact, wanting to extort money. At the time I felt unable to deal with  that kind of thing but, now that he has been gone for nearly 2 weeks, I may give it a try. I do have friends but not nearby so they cannot be on hand for forays into the countryside. My OH is certain we have done all we can and I know he is right. Since Basil left I have read about cats and their wanderings and have come to realise that sometimes they just go off because they want to.They don't think as we do, they may love us but it's not the same kind of love. They have minds of their own and will do as they please. They can get distracted by interesting things and can even decide that they like their new situation and stay. It is important to me that I try to think positive, that Basil is alive and well and is having an adventure - easier said than done.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 15:01:33 PM »
Have you posted on the equivalent lost cat sites in France yet? Or checked to see if Basil has been posted as "found" .

http://www.chat-perdu.org/perdu

http://www.chat-perdu.org/trouves

Warning - the "Trouves" part also shows images of cats that have been found deceased, presumably for identification purposes.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 14:29:02 PM »

Sound words of advice from Sheila. 

I would also add if you have a friend who would be willing to go out with you after dark it will be much safer.  It's no good if you injure yourself or put yourself in harm's way, because that would leave your other two cats in a very vulnerable position, to say nothing of your own safety.   :hug: :hug: 

I want to advise, but my experience wasn't a positive one as we never found either of our two missing cats.  I wept buckets the last time, took holiday from work to follow up leads, and my grief was so raw that my OH moved out and into the spare room because he couldn't bear my crying myself to sleep night after night.  That sounds so discouraging, and I don't intend it to be.   :hug:

There's a very good chance Basil will come back.

Please let us know how you get on, even if it's just to share how you're feeling.  It can be a huge help just to be able to talk about it with people who've been where you're standing now.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 14:12:40 PM »
Sorry to hear this. Of course we understand, our cats are our families too so we can relate very well to what you are going through.  :'( 

However, you are in a uniquely difficult position and perhaps need to talk to your doctor as the anxiety is likely to spiral when your partner goes away.

There's a lot you can do that will be more productive than flying into a flat panic and running out of the house, and may serve to calm you as you'll know you've taken every possible step to get your cat back home safe. Take a moment to think about what you could do if you had found a lost or injured cat, then work out what you need to do to find that person.

Make sure there's fresh, smelly food outside the house each morning and evening. If it was Basil eating the food he would present himself how he normally does, so I doubt it is him.
Cats have excellent sense of smell, better than dogs. Tie one of your well used, unwashed t-shirts or night dresses out on the gatepost or washing line, your scent may bring him out of hiding. Post loads of your flyers on your gate, all passers by need to be aware there is a missing cat and he lives here.

Gill's advice to take your mobile phone when you go out is very wise. I'd go a step further - if you're likely to dash off regularly, why not pack yourself a search kit?
Being prepared can take some of the panic away and help you stay safe. You'll need a mobile phone with full charge and emergency numbers already saved to memory, a good torch, a water bottle, chocolate bar, blanket or shawl in case you get cold (or if you find Basil you'll need to wrap him securely) a box of cat biscuits to shake, gloves, a French phrase book in case you get stuck, some cash for a taxi to the vet (or to use a public phone box) and your credit card for emergencies.

Take a photo of Basil with the words "Basil, Il est perdu - aidez Moi?" (He is lost - help me) written on the back to show any strangers who want to know why you are on their property.

Make sure you wear a bright coloured coat or hat, so traffic can see you in the dark.

When searching do take time to stop, listen hard, call softly. Don't panic just take a few steps at a time then call him again. Shake the biscuits, but the most important thing is to listen hard. If he's stuck in a building his cries will be hard to hear so be sure to walk all round buildings listening for him.

Post notices in the local shops, pub, library, school, police station and of course the local vet, if he's been picked up by someone you need to make sure they see your notice. Also there will be an internet site for locals similar to Gumtree that you will want to post a "lost pet" notice on, that way if someone is surfing the internet trying to find his owner there will be a hit in your area for a lost cat with his description.

When your partner is away, make arrangements to telephone each other at a specific time each morning and evening, then if anything happens to you he will know there's something wrong, and can take steps to get you some help. You're going to need some support, is there a Women's Institute or other social group you can join? Maybe a yoga class, gardening group or supper club to give you a distraction and maybe make some friends who can help support you.

Do take great care, and be sure to come back here, we can't be there for you but we surely can be here.  :hug:

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 13:59:11 PM »
Thank you for your replies. We have bombarded the village with fliers, even the postman is helping. Likewise vets etc in another town as we don't have one locally. I have not put out food for him simply because we have 2 other cats who would just eat it However, if you think that is a good idea, I can try. The problem is that I won't know if it is Basil who ate it.

We do not have a catflap. Do you think that I should leave the garage door open?

I do take a torch with me and a phone but I still feel unsafe.

What I need is advice on how to calm down. As time passes I become more and more stressed which is counterproductive. It would be great to hear from people who have been through this and , how did they cope for however long it took to find their cat?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 12:36:47 PM »
Have you put fliers up in vets?

Are there any lost and found sites in France?

I assume you put food out for him? Do you have a cat flap?

I am so sorry that Basil is missing and we have had cases where cats have turned up a long time after they went missing  :hug: :hug: :hug:

If you go out at night take your mobile with you so at least you can call for help.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 12:27:18 PM »
 :hug: :hug:  So understand, and have been through this twice myself.  Unfortunately we didn't get our babies back.

Like you, I travelled miles away to check out possible sightings, but without success.

Am so very sorry, and I hope that Basil turns up safe and sound.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 09:41:04 AM »
totally understand  :hug: as he went missing on a weekend are there any holiday homes or such like locally that might be locked up until next weekend?

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
Basil is missing and I'm a wreck. Basil came home!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 09:34:15 AM »
I have 3 cats. Basil left the house as usual on April 7 and has not returned. we have not seem even a whisker. We live on the edge of a small village in France. We have bombarded the village with fliers and posters and everyday we get someone calling thinking they have seen Basil but we never get there in time so we cannot verify that it is him. The sightings come from all over the place and on the very rare occasion we have managed to get to the place, there is nothing to see.  I am absolutely frantic with worry and fear for his safety and frankly, I am not handling this at all well and it's doing no-one any good. At the weekend my husband is going abroad for 5 weeks so I have to deal with this alone, and in French!  I cannot keep rushing out of the house in a blind panic in the dark as I did last night and have done every night for nearly 2 weeks. I found myself stumbling along a country lane - had I fallen I could be lying there still.  My OH believes that we have done all we can do and now it is up to Basil to find his way home. My brain tells me he is probably correct. Many friends have their own tales of missing cats turning up after many weeks, one came back after 9 months. But Basil is my baby and my closest companion and I cannot seem to calm down and think rationally. I have stopped functioning and can't speak to anyone for fear of breaking down.  I know that so many of you will have been through the same thing and I need to know how you coped, especially if it goes on for a long time. Please forgive me if it seems to be all about me, I would gladly endure anything to get him back but at the moment, my attitude and behaviour is counterproductive.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 22:56:11 PM by Tiggy's Mum, Reason: to change title on all posts »

Link to CatChat