Author Topic: Help introducing blind cat to my cat  (Read 10210 times)

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Jezabel
Re: Help introducing blind cat to my cat
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 23:38:41 PM »
Why not have two litter trays. They usually recommend one more than the amount of cats anyway.

3??? Crikey I don't think I have the room for 3. there are only so many hidden away spaces to keep one. I mean I wouldn't keep one in a bedroom,bathroom or kitchen or indeed my living room so that just leaves hallway cupbaords and landings! lol

Yeah my Jez is a loud litter user!!! She pees or poops then scratches and digs and scratches on the litter on the side of teh box so i put it as far away from wherever I am!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 22:53:18 PM »
I have one in front room, kitchen, bathroom and bedroom  ;D

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 22:46:41 PM »
Why not have two litter trays. They usually recommend one more than the amount of cats anyway.

3??? Crikey I don't think I have the room for 3. there are only so many hidden away spaces to keep one. I mean I wouldn't keep one in a bedroom,bathroom or kitchen or indeed my living room so that just leaves hallway cupbaords and landings! lol

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 21:20:27 PM »

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 19:10:46 PM »
Ok so when he first gets here he will be staying in my spare room with his food and litterbox but everyone seems to say don't move things around esp litterbox but i won't be keeping his litterbox in the same room it will in fact have to be moved dcownstairs so will that cause confusion?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 23:41:18 PM »
I think that the kitty will be better off in a room by himself and agree he will be on sensory overload to start with.

The scent swapping is verty important and think as long as you spend time with the new kitty he will be fine,

They get around so well and I once met a deaf and blind one that was at CP and he used to follow the walls round to his food.

I do hope it works  :hug: :hug:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Help introducing blind cat to my cat
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 01:21:29 AM »

Thanks! I guess my main worry at the moment is that the new kitty will get lonely in his safe room. I will obvioulsy go see him and hang out but he will be blind and sleeping alone at night and that worried me.

I wouldn't worry about him being alone, he will be on sensory over load and need the time to adjust. I introduced a new cat to my resident cat in Sept. I kid you not for two weeks he wouldn't venture out from under the bed if I was in the room. I was at my witts end. I'd come home and there was clear evidence he was out and about in his safe room but me being there had him hiding!

I was so worried I'd made a huge mistake. Now he won't leave me alone and I think the solitude was just what he needed.

Your new fur baby needs time to adjust and he def will appreciate the time to do that alone xxxx
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 21:50:01 PM »
We had a blind oldie and he mastered out then house and garden and moved at 20nyears of age and mastered a house twice te size of his last one, mastered stairs we did however lay the furniture out in the same positions

Catnip and valarian are 2 things they will love as both are scented and crinkle balls and feather wands
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 21:11:40 PM »
I have had a blind cat but he went blind in older age so knew the layout of the house and garden etc. I would think keeping the new cat in one room would be important because he's also got the added difficulty of working his way around your house. So having too big an area could be quite scary for him. 

You can also play with your new cat but will need to use sound rather than movement so use crinkley toys etc.

This article makes some interesting points http://cats.about.com/od/amyshojai/a/8-ways-to-help-a-blind-cat.htm

Sorry can't be more helpful with introduction, haven't ever had to do that.

Thanks! I guess my main worry at the moment is that the new kitty will get lonely in his safe room. I will obvioulsy go see him and hang out but he will be blind and sleeping alone at night and that worried me.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 20:59:57 PM »
I have had a blind cat but he went blind in older age so knew the layout of the house and garden etc. I would think keeping the new cat in one room would be important because he's also got the added difficulty of working his way around your house. So having too big an area could be quite scary for him. 

You can also play with your new cat but will need to use sound rather than movement so use crinkley toys etc.

This article makes some interesting points http://cats.about.com/od/amyshojai/a/8-ways-to-help-a-blind-cat.htm

Sorry can't be more helpful with introduction, haven't ever had to do that. 

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 20:52:05 PM »
What beautiful cats! :blow kiss:

Such a lovely thing you're doing in taking on a special needs cat that might otherwise get overlooked  :hug: Fingers crossed Jezabel takes to him OK but don't forget that introductions can take weeks if not months to get things right so don't be disheartened if they don't seem to be getting along at first.

Thanks...I wasn't feeling stressed until I started doing the research....serves me right for looking online...lol. I have the time to spend on it I just don't want either cat to suffer and I worry that I will get attached to new kitty and if it doesn't work and I have to give him back it will be bad.  I just don't really know how much time to spend with each cat w/o making either one stressed or jealous!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 20:47:18 PM »
What beautiful cats! :blow kiss:

Such a lovely thing you're doing in taking on a special needs cat that might otherwise get overlooked  :hug: Fingers crossed Jezabel takes to him OK but don't forget that introductions can take weeks if not months to get things right so don't be disheartened if they don't seem to be getting along at first.

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 20:37:27 PM »
This is my cat Jezabel lolling around on her fave rug and a photo from the cats protection as I do not have the new kitty yet...they still have to do a home visit this week.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 20:24:34 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs

I've no experience of blind cats myself but would think that, like you say, the introductions might need to be tailored to adjust to the different circumstances. I think I would still keep them separate for as long as possible but would concentrate heavily on scent swapping as he is likely to have a heightened sense of smell to compensate for his blindness. As your existing cat is an indoor cat who has no experience of other cats this will more than likely help her to as she can get used to the smell of another cat before actually seeing one in the flesh!

:luck: with it all, would love to see a pic of the pair in question  :)

Offline princesskasren

• Adult Cat
Help introducing blind cat to my cat
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 20:14:44 PM »
Hiya, I have read extensively online about how to introduce a new cat into a household with an exsisting cat however I do have a question. All the studd that I have read says to put the new kitty in a safe room with food etc and introduce them gradually...  isn't it stressful enough for a blind cat in a new place and leaving it alone in the room for hours at a time whilst I play with my cat seems a bit cruel to me....anyone out there have any good advice. The new cat is male 3 years old neutered...my cat is 9 years old a female neutered and not overly social...she's not anti social but she has never had any direct contact with any other cats as she is an indoor cat...oh and obviously the new blind kitty is an indoor kitty too.
Thanks

Link to CatChat