Author Topic: cats in their 'teenage' years  (Read 1588 times)

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
Re: cats in their 'teenage' years
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 07:31:13 AM »
Well that's me with three teenagers in the house with the prospect of four by September  :Crazy:
The girls are now 18 months and arrived a year ago yesterday  :Luv2: but they are most definitely teenagers. The jumping and tearing around the house I can cope with but on Saturday Luna got in my wardrobe and had a climb leaving a trail of feathers from a fascinator in her wake then last night the usually meek and mild Miss Cleo ran and jumped in the upstairs litter tray for all the world like she was an Olympic long jumper and sprayed litter everywhere.
All three (human, male, 17)  are fussy eaters so I never know whether I am giving them the right food and one of them has taken to sitting around looking glum when she isn't asleep.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 23:18:47 PM »
Sly (4) is slowly becoming more of a mummy's boy. His disability (wobblie legs) seems to be getting worse these days and I notice he doesn't bully the others as much, so maybe its a combination of factors with him.

I'm constantly delighted by his new found love of mummy's side of the bed and he's a real snuggler in the mornings, something he never did up to a few weeks ago.  :Luv:

Bittersweet? Of course it's a worry as it's now a pre-existing condition so no insurance will ever cover him, but we take one day at a time and he'll be happy and loved all his life, I guarantee it.  :smile:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 15:50:34 PM »
Lupin isnt supposed to be fully grown until 3 so maybe from then on he will improve! Not holding my breathe  :rofl:

Definitely dont hold your breath, Gill.  Somails are similar in that they dont' reach their full size and maturity until 3-4.  Mosi is now 7 and seems to be stuck in that teenage phase  :innocent:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 15:44:41 PM »
Lupin isnt supposed to be fully grown until 3 so maybe from then on he will improve! Not holding my breathe  :rofl:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 23:58:53 PM »
I think you probably know, but I have two siblings, Denzel has always been a cuddle monster, but Dexter has been much more so the last few months!  :Luv:

They are both coming up 3 in June
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 23:08:14 PM »
I think they do say cats don't mature til they are at least two years old and their full personality develops so sounds like what you have now is the 'finished product'! Mine never seemed to go through 'teenage years', they've both always been very affectionate/cuddly (but in different ways) so am very lucky in that sense.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
cats in their 'teenage' years
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 22:00:17 PM »
I know a lot of you won't of had cats so young, but I think Dexter is finally 'growing up!'

Over the past few months, he isn't as fussed if you stroke him, and has become a lot more vocal, and not just crying for food, but strokes!

I am so pleased, but he still isn't as affectionate as his sister. I just wondered if it is maybe him coming out of his stroppy teenage years and if anyone else had experienced it?
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Link to CatChat