Author Topic: Some people!!!  (Read 3418 times)

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Coco now but was Pings slave as well until he went to Rainbow Bridge.
Re: Some people!!!
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 07:22:54 AM »
The amount of house plants I have given away when I have looked online and found they were toxic. I had a big bunch of carnation the other day I had them in a nice spot until I found they could make Coco poorly now they are on one of the highest cupboards with some houseplants. :scared:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Some people!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 21:00:47 PM »
If you remove all the pollen things you can have lillies in the house, I have them and the Clan are all fine its just a messy job to remove all the stamens!!!

That's what I do too although the article linked in the original op suggests its the whole plant!

I got a huge bunch for my birthday and this morning when I left none where open to remove the pollen part... I'm of course now stressing as still out and maybe they've opened!!!

Although they to never go near plants!
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 20:59:26 PM »
The pollen makes such a mess anyways, I think I would remove them anyway even if I didn't have cats!

Slightly off topic, I remember about 8 years ago when my OH got a new job, if said he was going to buy me a bunch of flowers every month when he got paid... and am still waiting for the first one!  :rofl:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 14:57:31 PM »
Peardrop,some people never think they are wrong! I would never contemplate buying any,no matter what,better safe than sorry.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 14:47:45 PM »
All lily pollen is toxic, it only takes a tiny bit. You can do what Liz suggests and remove the stamens but be very sure to wipe every speck of pollen from the plant.

I dug up my calla lillies when I realised my garden was potentially a cat killing zone.  :doh:

http://www.cpnewcastle.co.uk/plantstoxictocats.htm

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 10:20:51 AM »
Are peace lilies the same? My Mother in law gave me one last year and I kept in on the top of the fridge when it was flowering. It's now in the bathroom but it's on the window ledge so the cats can brush passed it. I wonder whether I should just give it away.

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 08:39:05 AM »
If you remove all the pollen things you can have lillies in the house, I have them and the Clan are all fine its just a messy job to remove all the stamens!!!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 00:52:59 AM »
At least she might have bothered to read the label when she got home, due to your input.  :shock hand:

One can only help those who wish to be helped.  :sigh:

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Coco now but was Pings slave as well until he went to Rainbow Bridge.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 14:55:16 PM »
:rofl: :rofl:

Back on topic I was in the petshop and two women were talking about how they fed their cats only dry food, I tried to explain how at least a mixture was better for them due to the water content but was shouted down!

I dont bother to try and help any more.

I am not going to the funeral either  :rofl: :rofl:

You could have pretended to be a vet. :sneaky:

I won't be going to the funeral either :rofl:

Well that is three of us not going. I wonder if I could get my money back.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 14:39:14 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl:

Back on topic I was in the petshop and two women were talking about how they fed their cats only dry food, I tried to explain how at least a mixture was better for them due to the water content but was shouted down!

I dont bother to try and help any more.

I am not going to the funeral either  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 14:23:50 PM »
Unfortunately this is what some people are like now. I was in a shop the other day and an argument started with some people in the shop doorway. Apparently a guy had grabbed a child that had been about to run into the road. He received a mouth full of abuse from the kids Father.

I blame Thatcher :rofl:

So you won't be going to the funeral then? :sneaky:

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 14:18:01 PM »
Unfortunately this is what some people are like now. I was in a shop the other day and an argument started with some people in the shop doorway. Apparently a guy had grabbed a child that had been about to run into the road. He received a mouth full of abuse from the kids Father.

I blame Thatcher :rofl:

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
Some people!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 13:32:44 PM »
I have always made it my business to point out to people buying lilies how harmful they are to cats even causing death. Either they will thank me for pointing it out or they say they have no cats.

I was in the checkout in Asda today and the lady in front of me had two bunches of the dreaded cat killers. I asked her if she had cats she said yes, I pointed out (in a nice way) how harmful they were to cats. "No they're not," she replied in a sharp voice gave me the evil eye and marched off. On the way out I quickly looked at the label on the lilies and it said may be harmful to cats.

I hope the stupid woman reads this label before putting them on display.

http://www.vethelpdirect.com/vetblog/2010/05/02/lily-poisoning-in-cats/

Link to CatChat