Author Topic: New baby and spoilt cat!!  (Read 2611 times)

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
Re: New baby and spoilt cat!!
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 21:00:12 PM »
Oh yes she does indeed look like Callie. Callie is a calico with big black and ginger patches  :Luv: She is a very pretty cat as is your Millie. It sounds as if your Millie will easily get used to the baby so come on and don't forget to let us know any 'news' All those baby sounds must be making YOU broody never mind Millie  :briggin:
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
  • My beautiful girl is my world :)
  • Slave to: Millie Rose
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 23:01:16 PM »
Also soufflé doesn't your cat look like my Millie? The one sitting at the back of the pic, I take it is Callie?
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 22:58:41 PM »
Hiya,
I would of course let Millie join in, I might get her to change the nappies!., :rofl:

She is now immune to the baby sounds!! We are now trying to play them for longer periods!

I can imagine that it reduces things like asthma etc I'm clean but not a clean freak as I think too much cleaning is bad for us!!

I wish Millie could be with me in the hospital!! I miss her sooo much when I'm at work etc!!

I sometimes think I'm not normal.... :shify:
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 21:45:31 PM »
I'd say the most important thing is to include the animal in everything you do with the baby. Never push them away or shut them out and let them investigate the babies things. Too many people are afraid of supposed germs from pets getting on the baby. I would lie feeding the baby with the cat on the other knee and we never fretted over the animals going near the baby. I'm sure it builds better germ resistance in them! When our daughter was born my hubby would bring home her baby things from the hospital so they could smell her scent. The dogs came to the hospital to collect her!
They accepted her as another member of the family and soon all settled in together. Children's lives are so much richer for sharing them with animals. I hope you will soon be haring the patter of your own tiny paws  :Luv2:
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 18:43:05 PM »
Ooooh what a wonderful thread ... great to see you are preparing Millie in advance.  I have no experience of babies (apart from  when I was one of course  :rofl: )

This is a great link http://messybeast.com/cat_baby.htm

I recently read an article that proves that children brought up with animals are actually less likely to suffer from illnesses such as asthma ... http://www.sciencentral.com/video/2008/07/01/cats-kids-asthma/
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 10:57:06 AM »
Hiya, thanks for all your comments   :wow:

I think animals and babies get a bad rep really. With dogs they could bite and baby etc. with cats they may suffocate a baby. But I think as long there is rules, like you all say. It will work.
Well I'll make it work!!!

I have total and complete trust in Millie, as she does in me. So we have an understanding!!! We have a very strong bond which I hope will still be there when a baby arrives?!

I said to her the other day in a cooing voice, "do you want to be a big sister and look after your baby with mummy?" - she looked at me, meowed, stood like a meerkat and bumped her head on my chin!!! Hopefully that means yes!!

:thanks:

P.s. thankyou tiggys mum for your kind words too... Feel quite emotional!!! Xxx
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Offline Peardrop

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Coco now but was Pings slave as well until he went to Rainbow Bridge.
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 13:37:00 PM »
We had a tabby cat and a Samoyed when I was pregnant and my two children grew up with them. We had no trouble at all. Don't take any notice of the pet haters out there you do what you think is best for everyone in the house.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 09:23:58 AM »
I don't have kids myself but we had cats from when I was very young. I loved my kitties and we were always taught to respect the cats and not to annoy them. We were shown how to stroke them and not to grab them etc. I personally think this is one of the most important things. Although your cat could feel jealous when the baby arrives but you are obviously aware of that. I hate it when people baby their cats then totally forget about them when a baby arrives.   

Offline Miri

• Kitten
  • Slave to: mortimer and tiger
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 08:30:49 AM »
As far as I can remember, every kid that grew up with a pet - be it a cat or dog or else - the kiddies profited from that as much as the pets did. Of course, as always, one has to make sure who the boss is but if that is clear, it will work.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 23:38:13 PM »
I don't have kids myself yet but have toddler nieces/nephews. Can I just say that it's wonderful to see someone making such an effort to think of their pet and that someone as thoughtful as you will surely make a wonderful Mum one day  :hug:

It's good that Millie isn't fussed by the 'annoying baby CD'! I got one of those just before my nephew was born too, I have to admit that my two aren't particularly fond of toddlers but that's becuase they don't often come to mine, mainly because of all the paraphenalia and equipment that's needed for even a short visit so I tend to go over to their house mostly!  :evillaugh:

I think even cats that have no experience of kids will eventually get used to them and as long as you introduce boundaries then all will be fine. I always make a rule of no chasing and let the cat come to you if my nephew wants to stroke one of the boys. They mainly tend to slope off upstairs when he comes round as he is pretty noisy but I'm confident if they lived with a baby they would get used to him/her pretty quickly. Millie sounds like a sociable character so I'm sure she'll get used to the baby in no time at all  :)

Another thing to think about as the time comes is the nursery, obviously you'll need to keep Millie out of the babies room while he/she is still little so maybe start closing the door to that room well before baby arrives (I know he she will probably be in your bedroom for the first six months or so anyway) - that way she won't associate the arrival of the baby with being shut out of 'her' room.

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 18:07:49 PM »
Thankyou  ;D

I could NEVER imagine leaving Millie, gosh it would break my heart  :Crazy:

I've been playing the baby sounds to her for a few days now and she doesn't even open her eyes to the sound now!!

I'm so proud of her :Luv2:
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 16:21:50 PM »
It's so nice to read something like this,especially when i keep seeing cats being given away,because the woman's pregnant!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 14:56:57 PM »
Sorry have no experience  in this area but well done for trying to prepare Millie  ;D ;D

Offline kymberleyc

• Adult Cat
New baby and spoilt cat!!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 12:20:48 PM »
Hi all,
The hubby and I are trying for our first baby. We have planned the pregnancy and obviously Millie is paramount in our lives.  :Luv:
We have started playing baby sounds to her, ones exactly designed for cats. We are also going to start using baby lotion on our hands so she get used to the baby smell. Some people may think we are doing this too early as I'm not pregnant but if it means Millie will be happy ill do it for decades if I need to!!
So I'm looking for advice/stories about babies and their cat(s)
I do know about the suffocation stories, and again we will take all safety measures with that.
A bit more about Millie and her personality:
Very loving and laid back
Loves people and attention (of course!!)
Has a strong bond with me and has done for 12 years (her age)
Friendly, likes to sit with friends/family and strangers that come into the house
Patient e.g. With my mums bichon puppy, Millie will play with her but when Ångel gets too excited Millie will walk off!!
Adapts fairly well, will sometimes become needy if we move furniture. We went to my mums for Xmas, we all moved in for a week. We got there around 6.30 and by the next morning she was happy and made herself at home.
Loves bedtime with the hubby and I
Loves to be held and kissed by me!!

We have a set routine for Mills, 9am-10am outside, in till 4-5 then outside, then in till 9-10 when she goes out and then back in till morning. This fits around our work as well and we implement this 7 days a week.
We have decided the time for Millie, even when the baby is here will be bedtime. This is because it is more achievable and its her favourite time for cuddles etc
She's a short haired calico
12 years old
I got Mills when she was a kitten, I was 11. She lived at my mums until she was 7, which is when I moved into my own house. Originally my mum wouldn't let me take Millie. Before we moved into our house we went away for 2 weeks. When I got back my mum said Millie had cried constantly,not eaten and not slept. So it was decided that I would take Millie. In a our new house Millie was fine, after a week I let her out and she's been happy ever since.

Hope this gives you enough info!!!

Looking forward to any stories, comments or suggestions on how to prepare my gorgoeus girl!!!

Many thanks in advance

Kymberley xxx
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 12:24:04 PM by kymberleyc »
Mummy to Millie xoxox

Link to CatChat