Author Topic: Bubz is leaving stools *outside* litter box  (Read 3421 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Bubz is leaving stools *outside* litter box
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 12:43:38 PM »
So many possibles but think combo of PA, weather and foxes possible. Suspect PA is problem tbh.

Worth trying Feliway  :hug: :hug:

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
  • Slave to: Bubz
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 12:07:02 PM »
Does she ever go outside to toilet? Could the snow be making her uneasy or could another cat be using her patch and she is stressed? Is she in a private area where she doesn't need to rush? All things to think about and also changes in lifestyle do affect cats. I wonder if the PA gave her a row and now she feels uneasy about toilet time?

She used to go outside all year round till a couple of winters back then she began to use the tray more and more. At the moment it is really muddy clay out there that she would have to spend a  lot of time cleaning her feet when she had finished!!
I have a sulky PA because I said 'no' to putting the box outside. :(

Just remembered something, when we had snow down  here in January I discovered that a pair of young foxes use the garden back and front as a cut-through. That would put any cat off!

I might get some Feliway  online and see if that helps, though she hasnt been missing the box for the last few days.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 12:08:06 PM by Helen_A on behalf of Bubz »
Helen A (mainly on behalf of Bubz)

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 10:47:36 AM »
I think that would be a good idea. Our cat had constipation because she has renal disease and once that was treated things improved.
Does she ever go outside to toilet? Could the snow be making her uneasy or could another cat be using her patch and she is stressed? Is she in a private area where she doesn't need to rush? All things to think about and also changes in lifestyle do affect cats. I wonder if the PA gave her a row and now she feels uneasy about toilet time?
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 08:52:56 AM »
How about a bigger tray? Maybe she likes to be facing in and does not realise her bottom is outside?
We also had this problem with an older car who got a bit constipated. As she was straining to poop she sometimes came out the tray without having fully finished and would leave some outside.
It might be an idea to have a vet check. The vet can easily feel if the bowel is full of hard stools indicating constipation and can treat. It also helps to feed wet food if you have her on dry at the moment as this improves constipation.

She has a box that is very approximately 15-18ins x about 12, so I dont think I can get anything bigger!! Her stools have always been firm, right from when I got her aged about 1 from Cats Protection in '08. If this keeps up I'll have to take her to the vet :(

She's always had a mix of wet and dry food and access to loads of water so I dont think she's dehydrated.

Despite moving her box, she missed again last night.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 23:57:27 PM »
How about a bigger tray? Maybe she likes to be facing in and does not realise her bottom is outside?
We also had this problem with an older car who got a bit constipated. As she was straining to poop she sometimes came out the tray without having fully finished and would leave some outside.
It might be an idea to have a vet check. The vet can easily feel if the bowel is full of hard stools indicating constipation and can treat. It also helps to feed wet food if you have her on dry at the moment as this improves constipation.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 22:57:02 PM »
Zylkene is for stress, yes. Or, if the issue is with toileting, cystophan which is designed for stress induced cystitis includes the same active ingredient as zyklene at half the strength, so that might be worth a go too.  It was recommended to me for Milly's overgrooming because it is supposed to be more tasteless so easier to mix with food, and it's much cheaper!

I do hope you manage to get a good resolution x x
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 22:58:41 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 21:48:39 PM »
Certainly agree on trying feliway. When I had WW3 in my house (long story but two nine month old kittens and an interloper Madame of eight who arrived due to circumstance) I did find it helpful in calming the situation. My get also suggested adding a couple of rescue remedy to their water or wet food and there is also a de-stressing powder which I had but can't remember what it's called, Zyklene maybe?

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 20:55:24 PM »
It will be interesting to see if the behaviour improves while the PA is not around...I wouldn't mind betting that there's a correlation in some way, even if it's just exacerbating stress rather than causing it!  If there isn't a medical cause, I'd put stress down as the most likely culprit, so I'd definitely try plugging in a feliway nearby, too.  Either that or change in litter, and Bubz doesn't like what it's changed to?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 20:56:53 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 16:27:19 PM »
6 is young and not middle aged now until about 13/14  ;D ;D

Oh goody, the prospect of having her grow old with me is very pleasing indeed.

Bubz has just cautiously stepped through the cat-flap, so fingers crossed...--

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 16:21:32 PM »
6 is young and not middle aged now until about 13/14  ;D ;D

Many cats live until coming up to 20 and I lost my birman brothers at 17 nearly 18 and the other at 19. Kocka my first moggy I lost at 20..............so should be loads of life in Bubz  ;D ;D

Life spans have changed dramatically over the last 10 years  ;D

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 16:03:54 PM »
I dont know how old Bubz is now but my older birmans did this a\nd yound birman Lupin used to sit as far back in the tray as possible and then hang his tail over the edge and completely miss. So put puppy pads and moved the tray away from the upright and this seems to have solved it.

I've had her since '08, and she was "about 1" then, so she's about 6 ---- help! I hadnt realised she is distinctly middle aged. She doesnt act it!

Yes she will definately pick up on your stress so this will not help and hope you can get a little less stressed although I understand that must be very hard, if not impossible  :hug: :hug:

many thanks for the hugs, Gill.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 15:49:25 PM »
You tell your PA in no uncertain terms that punishment is just not on, cats dont understand that and will get very stressed which will make matters worse. The box needs to be kept inside as you are right Bubz will get confused.

Sometimes cats do miss and not intentionally and the cleaning can be helped by putting puppy pads under the tray and around.

I dont know how old Bubz is now but my older birmans did this a\nd yound birman Lupin used to sit as far back in the tray as possible and then hang his tail over the edge and completely miss. So put puppy pads and moved the tray away from the upright and this seems to have solved it.

Yes she will definately pick up on your stress so this will not help and hope you can get a little less stressed although I understand that must be very hard, if not impossible  :hug: :hug:

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 15:40:18 PM »
This is a strange one.  We didnt get any answers either.  Our beautiful Samantha who is 16 started missing the litter tray when she had a wee,...  Things are back to normal again now she has started going outside again.

Bubz will come inside[/i] to use her box rather than outside regardless of the weather!

Offline shirleyp01

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: sammy and abbie
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 15:36:04 PM »
This is a strange one.  We didnt get any answers either.  Our beautiful Samantha who is 16 started missing the litter tray when she had a wee, which was easily cleaned up, we did not punish her as we could only think it was because we had recently lost our gorgeous Abigail who died in November aged 15 and the stress that this had caused her not knowing where her sister had gone.  Things are back to normal again now she has started going outside again.

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
Bubz is leaving stools *outside* litter box
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 15:27:45 PM »
Bubz has, for the last 2.5-3 months, been 'missing' the litter box when she is emptying her bowels. Not every day, say every two or three days.

The PAs I've had have been good about it, but my current one [who leaves Wed next week for a while] is insisting on putting Bubz outside as 'punishment'. She's also talking about putting the box outside in the day time, assuming no rain (lol). That hasn't happened - only because of the weather, but Bubz has also started missing her aim when pee-ing, with the resulting problems.

To me, both are only going to confuse my little black cat. She isn't going to make the connection between missing the tray and being put outside.

I spoke to the vet receptionist yesterday and apart from putting the top of the litter tray on, which is counter-productive as Bubz is no good at realising that she must get more into the middle before going to the loo, she couldn't suggest anything else.

We've switched the litter box and the eating area and beyond puzzling Bubz, I don't expect much to change. Yes, some of the stools did roll under a chair, but to me, sliding the box away from the chair would probably have done as much good.

There's been a lot of turmoil in my life for the last few months and I'm wondering whether Bubz is responding to the escallating stress vibes in my life. Maybe I need the Feliway or the human alternative!

Link to CatChat