Author Topic: Bleeding after teeth extraction  (Read 9032 times)

Offline Newlis

• Kitten
Re: Bleeding after teeth extraction
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 20:44:38 PM »
Thanks both :)

She's been fine today also (not a spot of blood anywhere) so whatever she might have opened up must have sealed itself again. She's still none too happy about having to take the pain relief medicine and the antibiotics twice daily but she'll have to lump it. XD Back to the vets tomorrow morning for a checkup. I suspect she'll be sulking for the rest of the day and Lolly will go into hiding (every time I get the cat basket out, she thinks I'm after her and runs to a very high place).

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 22:09:07 PM »
Delighted to hear that Lolly's ma is OK now and sooo pleased that Lolly has made such a remarkable recovery  :wow:

Long may it continue  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 16:31:26 PM »
So pleased the bleeding has stopped  ;D ;D

Offline Newlis

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 14:32:03 PM »
I have had a number of cats have teeth extracted including Fred RIP who had all but 2 canines extracted.  Millie had 4 extractions a week ago.

I don't recall any blood. It would have been very noticeable on Fred's white fur.  If I were you, I would bring her back to the vet if still showing signs of bleeding.  Is it Lolly?

Oh nice to see someone remembers Lolly. :) But it's not her this time; she's completely fine. We're managing her diet and she's not had any complaints since being diagnosed with pancreatitus. She's actually put on weight and is now the heaviest she's ever been in her life. XD

It's her mother who has had to have her teeth removed.

Right after I made the post here I went to check on her again and the bleeding seemed to have stopped and she was wandering around purring. I'll never understand cats... When I woke this morning I had a look at her and the bleeding has definitely stopped. Her mouth was completely clear and she was eating quite happily and she's still fine now. She must've have just given her mouth one hell of a knock to set it off bleeding and I'm really not sure how she managed it. At least she's never shown any pain; I think she was more annoyed that she couldn't groom herself without getting bloody saliva on her fur. She's back in at the vets on Monday morning so I think I'll discuss it with them then unless she has another bleed between now and then.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 13:16:42 PM »
I would ring or go back to the vet ,I don't think that's normal
I have 5 cats and several have had teeth out ,but no bleeding when they were home .

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 11:54:37 AM »
I have had a number of cats have teeth extracted including Fred RIP who had all but 2 canines extracted.  Millie had 4 extractions a week ago.

I don't recall any blood. It would have been very noticeable on Fred's white fur.  If I were you, I would bring her back to the vet if still showing signs of bleeding.  Is it Lolly?

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 08:42:08 AM »
My 13 yo had a few teeth extracted the other week and I didn't see any bleeding anywhere, and several years ago I had an 18 year old have one and I don't recall it then, either. So it might not be anything to worry about, but it doesn't sound quite normal - I'd give them a quick ring and see what they say, hopefully they are open for a few hours on a Saturday morning.

Hope everything is ok x x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 01:28:33 AM »
Very sorry but my cats have never had this problem,,,,,,,,,,,I think it would be wise to speak to your vet again tomorrow cos I dont remember any of mine bleeding , if its a lot of blood it may be worth contacting the emergency vet.

Offline Newlis

• Kitten
Bleeding after teeth extraction
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 00:56:46 AM »
Hello,

My cat, who is almost 15 yrs of age, was at the vets on Thursday to have most of her teeth removed. She's on Metacam for the pain and is quite happy in herself and eating but she was in for a checkup today (or should I say yesterday as it's now Saturday) and on the way home I'm not sure if she has knocked her mouth or something whilst she was in her cat carrier and now she is constantly drooling blood.

The vet said I could expect to see a bit of blood in her food or water bowls with either thing possibly triggering a bleed but I've not seen even a spot of blood from her until we got back home from the vets. It's just dribbling out of her mouth and she occasionally shakes herself to get rid of the droplets so she's covering everything in blood spatter.

I guess I'd just like to know if the amount of blood I'm seeing is normal? Should I be worried? I tried an online search and found someone saying their cat drooled blood for 3 days and their cat seemed to do ok. I'd love to hear from someone who has had a similar experience and if there is perhaps a way for me to help stem the bleeding.

Thank you. :3

Link to CatChat