Author Topic: vidalta and stroke  (Read 2722 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: vidalta and stroke
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 00:20:13 AM »
This sadly is one of them

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Licky, Fudge, Sugar, Candy (RIP Miss C)
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 18:15:02 PM »
I am so sorry about Smokey.

i only came here as my Licky has recently been diagonised hyperthyroidism and prescribed Vidalta and his dose is 20mgs a day. His level to start with was 500 and its gone down to 100 roughly. He is sleeping alot more than normal and the vet regularly does a blood panel and elderly cat check up everytime. My vet told us that the thyroid condition can cause problems with the heart, kidneys and liver. Licky has recently been adminastered a heart tablet (2.5mg daily) as his heart rate is a little higher than normal. This is due to the thyroid over working his heart. Since starting the heart tablet he has been amazing. He is much more active and willing to play football and even hand chase. Apart from the lack of weight (which is coming back) and his sleepiness, he is doing really well. I am just posting to make all people aware that if our cat has hyperthyroidism to get our cat checked regularly for heart, liver and kidneys. xxx

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 22:32:50 PM »
So sorry to hear this sad news  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 21:55:20 PM »
So sorry to hear this  :(  :hug:

RIP Smokey, safe and sound at the Bridge by now xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 21:48:11 PM »
I am so sorry Anjie  :hug: :hug: :hug:

RIP Smokey play hard on the Bridge little one

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 19:50:53 PM »
So sorry for your loss  :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 19:36:01 PM »
Oh Anji I'm so sorry
 :hug: :hug:

Offline Anjie

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Smokey, Blue & Belle
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 18:59:25 PM »
Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know that my beautiful Smokey took a turn for the worse today so at 5:30 I had to say goodbye to the most loving fur baby anyone could wish for.  :'(
Anjie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 18:10:27 PM »
Janeys post has just reminded me that its the slow release that can be the problem and Carol wrote a great piece about this on aqnother thread only last week............which thread though grrrrrrrrrrr

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 17:54:29 PM »
Oh dear, poor Smokey  :hug: 

How long was she hyperthyroid I wonder before it was picked up.  I'm just wondering whether the stroke may have been due to that rather than the meds because if was going on a long time then it could have caused problems, obviously the sooner it's picked up the better, or other factors.   I had 2 cats on Vidalta both great on it (recently lost one) not through that though, he was over 20 and it was kidney failure.  My other cat is doing well though touch wood.  In fact if either missed a tablet or 2 you could really tell the difference, so it's important that the dose is always taken.  If the vet does suspect the tablets they'll probably switch to a different one because hyperthyroidism must be treated as it affects all the other organs.  I would ask to see one vet, the one you prefer and tell them you can't be doing with conflicting advice and need to get this sorted.  Let us know how things go  :hug:

« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 18:02:35 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 17:48:24 PM »
I am so sorry to hear this and my thoughts go out to you both. Smokey is absolutely beautiful.
I'm no expert on this but did have a bad experience with vidalta last year. I don't know whether it unmasked (due to the hyper starting to settle) or brought on (although it seemed so quick) Chelsea's problems but you are right to keep pushing and it's no harm trying her on the different hyper treatment. The principal difference is that vidalta is a slow release tablet.
 :hug: :hug:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 17:13:54 PM »
so sorry to hear that Smokey is not in fine fettle  :(

I have no advice to give, but I would stick with the vet you are happiest with
I used to hate it when you would get another vet contradicting what the other vet said

Keeping fingers crossed Mis Smokey picks up soon  :hug:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 16:58:58 PM »
Here is another link with same problem and giving other links too.............I think your vets are being a bit short sighted on this.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,42473.0.html

It sounds like you may have to change vet if they will not change the meds

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 16:51:19 PM »
I am so sorry to hear this and am sure on the other post it was recommended that she be changed to a different med,,,,,,,begins with an F I think.

I believe this problem has been encountered before and if it was me I would stop the vidalta but there are many experts on here, who can give better advice than me.  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Anjie

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Smokey, Blue & Belle
vidalta and stroke
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 16:28:42 PM »
Hi all,

I posted a week or so ago about my Smokey being prescribed vidalta for her hyperT, she was put on 15mg a day and after her next blood tests the vet said her levels had gone up so the dosage was to change to 20mg a day. Well, last Sunday eve after I had given Smokey her tablet - 10mg - she had what appeared to  me a stroke, she lost all control of her back end and lost bladder control. I took her to the vet on Monday and her heart rate was very high and she was having trouble breathing, the vet gave her a steriod injection to help her and told me not to up the dose of the vidalta yet until we sorted this problem out. I took her back the next day and saw a different vet who gave her another injection and an antibiotic injection, Smokey then seemed to pick up a lot and was nearly back to normal. Then 2 days later I returned to the vet and saw yet another different vet who said it was silly not to up the dose of her vidalta just because of the recent problems, and sent us home to be seen again in 2 weeks. So on Friday I started the new dose and gradually over the weekend she has gone down hill again. This morning she is in a right state, she can barely walk again, and her front legs are now affected as well as her back ones. After doing some more reading on the subject on here I'm convinced that the vidalta has done this to her. I'm at a loss as what to do, I can't stop crying. I had come to the conclusion she had had enough but after reading some posts on here I'm wondering if I stop the tablets will she improve. Before she started on these pills she was a very healthy (albeit skinny), lively cat who loved a cuddle, and was always under my feet wanting to be near me. Now she just doesn't want to know, it seems as though it's a real effort for her to purr when I stroke her. I don't think she is in pain but how do we know?

Link to CatChat