Author Topic: Can ragdolls be allowed outside?  (Read 16677 times)

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Arthur and Dottie Dillon (Feb 1998 - 18/12/12 RIP),Tom (RIP 12/11/12), Digby (Feb 1998-17/11/10 RIP)
Re: Can ragdolls be allowed outside?
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 07:50:11 AM »
A neighbour of mine had a Raggie, and it was a good escapologist, but on several occasions I had to go and rescue it from foxes. On one occassionally it was just sat in the middle of road with 3 or 4 foxes just acting like a tag team trying to wind it up. Luckily it was unhurt, so I guess the breed trait of not defending itself or having the common sense to avoid danger is the reason indoor only preferred. I was told that because they go limp when picked up they do this even if caught by dog.

So they are mosey enough to want out but do not naturally have the skills to cope. People or dogs main problem during day, and foxes or badgers at night.  My Dillon was one of friendliest cats out and would roll over for tummy tickles even from strangers outside, but he would have defended himself if needed. 

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Can ragdolls be allowed outside?
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 21:44:56 PM »
Someone on Purrs said about their ragdoll.....................the blue light is on but not working  :rofl: :rofl:

I thought it was just her raggie  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Very true!!! My Raggie was the only cat not wary of the Hoover.... And I'm horrified to admit as a result he once had his tail nearly hoovered up! I was horrified.... He gave a little yelp then trotted off. Next time.... Still chasing the Hoover! Stoopid! Lol
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 16:51:52 PM »
Someone on Purrs said about their ragdoll.....................the blue light is on but not working  :rofl: :rofl:

I thought it was just her raggie  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 09:49:03 AM »
Raggies sound a bit like Mosi!!  Not that I'm saying Mosi is dim  :innocent: but he loves everybody and would have no natural sense of caution if he was outside.  I'm not sure how much that's an individual trait and how much it's a breed trait.  Somehow I don't think Mosi is exactly normal even by Somali standards  :shify:  Definitely some breeds have a tendency to be particularly nosey or have poor sense of danger.  Obviously that goes for moggies too which is why I think it's so important to assess the individual.

Helen - it's not about implying pedigrees are more precious than anyone's moggy - just that some tend to look quite different from your average cat and can attract attention from the wrong kind of people.  All cats are special.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 22:04:54 PM »
A lot of literature about ragdolls explains that they were 'designed' to be indoor cats - they are very trusting and frankly quite stupid! They originated in the USA and were viewed as ideal for indoor only homes.

I've had pedigrees and moggies in my life and Edgar (my ragdoll) is the ONLY cat who clearly had no cat predator sense! Totally docile, totally loving and never once did he ever get his claws out or hiss. I live in a modern block of flats and have a landing with two other apartments on it. The 4 cats I've had at this house have all got curious about the landing and been out... Edgar is the only cat however who boldly strolled out first day here and didn't even pause to look what was out there. No crouching, sniffing, slow exploration.... Strolled out like he didn't have a care in the world!

Yes all cats are different within breeds but I know 6 other raggies through friends and sadly they are all as dim lol!

The rescue will advise best but raggies are also very very nosey... Which will explain him at the door all the time!
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 06:33:59 AM »
Just to add someof mine have free reign but all are in at night and the others are house cats at my choice and in some cases theirs
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Scooby

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Hugo / Gilbert
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 23:54:37 PM »
I have two cats - a Persian and a moggie - they have access to a secure outdoor area. 
I've lost a couple of cats to RTA's in the past and no matter how quiet the roads, there is always a risk.  I want my boys to enjoy the sunshine and fresh air - but don't want them to wander far afield and have to deal with traffic and people who may wish them harm etc.
It isn't about their breeding, (or lack of) it's just that I worry about my Boys and consider the wider world a dangerous place that I don't wish them to take their chances in.
Whatever you decide will be the right choice for you - and for your cat  :Luv:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 22:27:05 PM »
The Rescue I got Peanut & Evie from had a Bengal recently & they were looking for a indoor home for her. The reason was she would be at high risk of theft, living in an area where it is a common occurance. Her extremely friendly nature would have only made this all the more easy for any cat thief.....they were also additionally cautious about whom she was rehomed & they have a policy of not putting any pedigrees on their rehoming site, for fear of attracting the wrong type of person (this of course is sadly also down to the culture of some people within the area)

However i think the person needs to get back intouch with the Rescue to establish the correct reasons for this.....
I agree with Helen....all our cats are just as precious and whether indoor or outdoor it is judged purely on the area in which you live etc...
My 3 go out, but are not sociable with other Humans, are in all day (but not out all night) and i live in a Cul-de-sac. If the cats go out in the daytime on the weekend, they rarely leave the garden as they do not like the even the distant noise of kids or traffic. I purposely chose the location to fit with the cats. Mine think they have free reign but they dont  :shify: Even where i am, i worried about Evie being stolen  :-[ not that my others arent pretty enough  :Luv:, just that shes young and i didnt know whether she would be trusting or not. She isnt and i prefer it that way lol .....someone once commented that Nuggie was a "pretty persian". Hes not Persian. Hes just long haired, but while some people set out to steal pedigrees, there are some that would steal your moggie because they think they are pedigree! (good luck anyone trying to get my lad i tell you!! He is well aware of stranger danger lol)
Liz luckily lives rural (and we all know we'd have just as many if we did  :evillaugh:) so all her kitties have free reign and they must love it!!

I think theres an element of danger for all cats
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 16:15:54 PM »
There is no particular reason why a ragdoll or any other pedigree should stay indoors except for their own safety or a health reason....

At the end of the day its down to each cat and where they live.

:agreed: Couldn't agree with this more!

It does annoy me a bit when people say pedigrees should be kept in for 'safety' or because they might be stolen. My two (moggies) are just as precious to me as any pedigree would ever be and I chose to keep them in for reasons of: the nearby fast road, evil humans, dogs etc I am lucky that I was able to catproof the garden but if I wasn't able to then I would have no qualms in keeping them in, just the same as I would if I had adopted a pedigree cat instead of my lovely moggies.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 12:59:51 PM »
There is no particular reason why a ragdoll or any other pedigree should stay indoors except for their own safety or a health reason.

No cat has real road sense so the area is very important.

I have a two year old birman who would be out on the road at a blink. I will only let him out in the garden with me in a walking jacket  cos its just two dangerous. He climbs everywhere in the house and is a nightmare but he would love to be out all the time.

On the other hand my two moggies which I have had since 4 and 6 years old were too scared of noises from the road and of people to go there but used to roam the gardens at the back.

At the end of the day its down to each cat and where they live.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 11:24:46 AM »
Ragdolls are usually housecats or have access to a secure garden du to their trusting nature they go to anyone and can be catnapped as there is something special about those big blue eyes and their fluffyness, I do have Minmin and Casper Ragdoll here both rescues and as I live in an isolated area both have access to the garden which they don't leave and the other thing to remember with Ragdolls is that they only have one coat no undercoat so in cold weathers they need to be inside

On saying that Minmin is more like a domestic cat and runs away from strangers Casper on the otherhand rolls over and screams as only a Ragdoll can for tummy tickles
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 10:37:34 AM »
Thanks, this is the first cat she has ever owned so obviously doesn't really know the right questions to ask, but I think you are right she should ask the rescue again. I think she was surprised to find the cat trying to dash outside when she'd been told it was indoor only. I don't know why the rescue didn't explain the situation to her. I was suggesting a enclosure outside as it can be difficult once they've been outside to then make them indoor cats.

The cat is young, less than 2 years old I think, so no problem there and no health problems.   

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 10:25:35 AM »
Any cat can be allowed outside.  It's up to the individual owner to make a decision based on the individual cat and where they live as to whether they want to allow outside access or keep the cat indoors.  Some pedigree breeders require that cats are kept indoors or with just access to an outdoor enclosure - usually because some breeds do seem to have less inate road sense and/or are more prone to theft (due to looking different) and the breeder is happier homing a cat to an indoor home than one where it will have free outdoor access.  The only reason I can think of as to why a rescue would ask this cat not to be allowed outside is either because it has spent it's life so far as an indoor cat and the rescue doesn't think it would adapt to being an outdoor cat, or because of health issues (blind, deaf, FIV etc).  Yes some breeds do seem to have less sense of danger etc. but that obviously varies between individual cats.   Tbh, I can't imagine Mosi having an ounce of road sense and I do think a certain part of that is his breed (somali) but then again other people have somalis who do go outdoors so it's not a hard and fast rule.

I'm a bit baffled as to how someone can adopt a cat from a rescue and not understand why they have been told to keep him/her indoors?  Surely the rescue would have explained why?  If not, surely the person who has adopted the cat needs to get back in touch with the rescue to find out more?  The rescue may feel this particular cat would not cope with being outdoors.  Or maybe they just meant don't let him/her outside for a few weeks to begin with?

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 10:11:14 AM »
Hi

I've been having a discussion on another forum about a ragdoll cat. This person has just adopted a ragdoll from a rescue and they have been told not to let it outside. They are asking why this might be as the cat is trying to get outside every time they open the door. So it sounds to me like she has been out before. Someone else has posted that ragdolls shouldn't be let out as they have no sense of danger. Is this true? I've only ever had moggies so have no idea.

Link to CatChat