Author Topic: East Lincolnshire – Cat neutering pilot scheme  (Read 2486 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: East Lincolnshire – Cat neutering pilot scheme
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 18:18:48 PM »
SO much support for this cause. Well done, Liz! :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
    • Feral & Stray Foundation
  • Slave to: Nina, Nell, Ned, Marley, Twilight, Leon, Forest, Squirrel, Skunk, Gladys, Oscar, HRH Naughty Knickers & Uncle Albert!!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
It is a fantastic job you have been doing, and I might be a bit biased, but your calendars were fab!  :Luv2:

I hope you get enough support to continue. Hopefully with micro chipping becoming compulsory for dogs soon, cats won't be too far behind

Is there any kind of veterinary magazine maybe you could write an article for? Maybe it would inspire others to do a similar campaign in other areas around the country? just a thought

Emma

Hi Emma!!

I'm glad you loved the calendar  :Luv: I will be making more for next year!! I would LOVE to see microchips law for cats, boy does it need to be!

I'm already on the veterinary article idea!! There's the Vet Times, which pretty much all vets/practices get, and also the VN Journal, so I'll in the middle of getting an initial letter/article together. If I can get volunteers nationally I'll be VERY happy!!

It's pretty much non-stop  :shocked:

Liz
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 21:27:47 PM »
It is a fantastic job you have been doing, and I might be a bit biased, but your calendars were fab!  :Luv2:

I hope you get enough support to continue. Hopefully with micro chipping becoming compulsory for dogs soon, cats won't be too far behind

Is there any kind of veterinary magazine maybe you could write an article for? Maybe it would inspire others to do a similar campaign in other areas around the country? just a thought

Emma
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Nina, Nell, Ned, Marley, Twilight, Leon, Forest, Squirrel, Skunk, Gladys, Oscar, HRH Naughty Knickers & Uncle Albert!!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 20:30:46 PM »
Hi Gill,

I have set up a Paypal account for the foundation, along with a separate bank account for BACS payments. I can also accept cheques etc.

The Paypal account is: feralregisteruk@gmail.com

People can PM me for Bank Account details if they would like to donate via BACS.

To date, I have raised almost £600 for the neutering fund through donations, and producing greeting card sets and calendars. I'm also getting an online auction ready. The website shows all the merchandise available too.

Thanks for your replies. 50 cats neutered in 2-months and 17 cats microchipped. Very worth all the effort to get this up and running  :)

Liz
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 09:29:30 AM by MarleyMoo »
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 19:06:06 PM »
How do people contribute to this if they want?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 18:45:58 PM »
This is just brilliant.

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 15:22:33 PM »
I agree - we can all do 'something', however small... it's just having the determination and passion to do it.
I started the foundation after having to assist with the euthanasia of 4 semi ferals and their mum. Broke my heart, and it was the first time I was unable to do anything to save lives. The foundation is in their honour and already achieving so much... that's what drives me on with this...
Liz

Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 14:33:52 PM »
What a brilliant campaign, just had a look at the feral and stray foundation website and am in awe of your project - if only more people were so pro-active and passionate  :hug:

Offline MarleyMoo

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
East Lincolnshire – Cat neutering pilot scheme
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 10:25:41 AM »
Please feel free to pass the details of the following scheme around...

I started the Feral & Stray Foundation about 6-months ago, and one of the main things I wanted to do was set up a neutering and microchipping scheme. I contacted the RSPCA East Lincs after hearing their new manager was very proactive and keen on neutering, and together, we’ve joined forces and are now running a pilot neutering scheme in the East Lincs area.

The scheme is free for feral and stray cats, and free for people in receipt of benefits. We also offer it to families on low income as a cost-price service. They just need to be in the East Lincs area. We have raised funds to run the clinics for 6-12 months, but are completely dependent now on donations from clients and people supporting the scheme.

The clinics are running on the first Sunday of the month, and I have a group of volunteer vets and nurses (I’m a nurse so dragged all my friends in!), along with volunteers for cleaning and reception.  In the Feb clinic, we neutered 23 cats and chipped 7, and in the March clinic, we neutered 27 cats and chipped 10. The April clinic is already almost fully booked, and we have approx. 20 feral cats due to come through, depending on when they are trapped to be disease tested, neutered, flea treated and released.

The vet practices are offered for free, and we currently have one practice we’re running in, with another 4-5 interested in offering the premises free for clinic use. I’ve secured low-cost microchips, and we have the support of a drug company offering free frontline for use on ferals and strays, and we have FeLV and FIV snap test donated for this use also.

This is only fire fighting - I would personally love to see a ban on breeding come into force as while ever people can breed so freely, the cat crisis will continue...

If anyone would like further details, please feel free to visit the Feral & Stray Foundation on Facebook, or the website www.feralandstrayfoundation.co.uk. There are posters for this scheme that can be printed, shared and emailed.

We hope to roll out this scheme as widely as we can, and the interest in the project is already exploding.

I’m also creating a feral register for farm/equestrian/smallholdings who would take individual, pairs or small groups of neutered ferals, and I’m in the process of setting up a fundraising auction on Facebook, where all proceeds will go to the neutering fund.

Feel free to PM me or ask for further details (such as areas covered).

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Feral-Stray-Foundation/144880882317321?ref=hl

Liz x

(Mods- Please feel free to move this to a more suitable board if necessary)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 14:43:15 PM by MarleyMoo »
Feral & Stray Foundation
Visit us at Facebook!

Link to CatChat