Author Topic: Advice Help Wanted  (Read 3898 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Advice Help Wanted
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 18:11:40 PM »
Yep you can try them, all rescues tend to need fosterers.
You can find all your local places here: http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html

I assume they would like the cat to have free range of your place, but if its general naughtiness/danger that worries you an older cat would deffo be better than a kitten, they definately cause a lot of trouble!

j20

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 17:28:25 PM »
If your not sure about how things would work, you could try fostering a golden oldie or two. They generally create less destruction because they are too busy sleeping. If you find it doesnt work out then its no big problem because its not a permanent thing.
The other good thing about fostering is that the charity you help cover the costs.

If you like the idea of 2 for company then you could get pair of older cats with health problems, often rescues will cover the costs for a ill/disabled cat, as getting them a home is top priority.

Didnt know about the fostering thing that may be best all round would local rspa centres etc be the best place to contact about this ?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 16:01:45 PM »
If your not sure about how things would work, you could try fostering a golden oldie or two. They generally create less destruction because they are too busy sleeping. If you find it doesnt work out then its no big problem because its not a permanent thing.
The other good thing about fostering is that the charity you help cover the costs.

If you like the idea of 2 for company then you could get pair of older cats with health problems, often rescues will cover the costs for a ill/disabled cat, as getting them a home is top priority.

j20

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 01:04:44 AM »
Hi j20,

I have 2 indoor cats in a 2 bedroom flat (with open plan living and kitchen area) and have plenty of room. Susanne is totally right, need plenty to play with (I hide treats in old toilet roll tubes etc) and have a large scratching post for them to climb on, and plenty of stimulation when we come home at night.

Having said that my girls are both pretty docile, Nina is an older cat and Kiki has her mad moments but is happy to snooze when we are out and go mental when we are there!  :evillaugh:

My 2 do have full reign of the flat though and are never closed in, is there no way they could wander around during the day?

Good Luck with your search anyway!

ems
xxx

A lot of things to consider As  I say I am new to all this so no idea really what kind of mischief they could get up to while I'm not their  :sneaky:
what to look out for or be careful of or precautions to take etc !  All I had in mind was an area I knew they could mess about in without being in any danger of anything some things I may say may sound odd to those who know what their doing  but remember I don't,  just trying to figure it all out before hand  Also any one have a rough idea of yearly cost of keeping two cats ?
Thanks for all the comments all usefull maybe some other complete  newbie will read this thread and also find it usefull ;)

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 15:49:42 PM »
Another thing to consider is the shape of the hall. A long narrow hallway, for example, would give cats a chance of a good run, and some height would, as already mentioned, would make it interesting.

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 15:40:09 PM »
Hi j20,

I have 2 indoor cats in a 2 bedroom flat (with open plan living and kitchen area) and have plenty of room. Susanne is totally right, need plenty to play with (I hide treats in old toilet roll tubes etc) and have a large scratching post for them to climb on, and plenty of stimulation when we come home at night.

Having said that my girls are both pretty docile, Nina is an older cat and Kiki has her mad moments but is happy to snooze when we are out and go mental when we are there!  :evillaugh:

My 2 do have full reign of the flat though and are never closed in, is there no way they could wander around during the day?

Good Luck with your search anyway!

ems
xxx

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 10:46:36 AM »
Hi and   :welcome: to Purrs.

I have 2 indoor cats in a one bedroom flat so it's doable but I'm not clear on why you need to confine a cat to the hallway when you're out?  Can it not have the run of the flat?  Cats don't need a lot of room but they do need a reasonable amount, including vertical space so cupboards, shelves etc can be used.  Cats like to be high up.  If you're thinking of keeping a cat indoors I'd recommend 2 so that they can provide each other with company and play together when you're out.  Indoor cats can get bored if they dont' have enough to do, and that's when you get destructive behaviour or behavioural problems.  You also need to be prepared to spend some time each day playing with them and providing an stimulating environment indoors.  But yes it can be done.

j20

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 00:23:58 AM »
Hi warm  :welcome: to Purrs :)

It's great you have joined us to ask for the cats best welfare before ya adopt one.  :) :) :) It normally better to have two cats that know each other if your out at work all day, Two gives company and is less work for you and not much more to look after than one. Of course, there would be two annual and initial costs to cover but overall much better for a cat's mental state and behaviour instead of being on their own all day.  Would they be outsiders or insiders? Are you thinking of Kitten or adult cat hun?

Any questions you have we will gladly help all we can.  :)

Have a look at Wizz's web site which will give ya lots of info about caring, behavioural and costs etc. Wizz is a cat behaviourist and a cat rescue. http://wizz-catz.co.uk/behavioural.html

kitten would be nice but again requires certain amount of time prob wont manage two i have concerns about providing enough space with one dint think two would manage at all  litter tray wise sounds as though could be a problem i had in mind bed food warter and toy or two in passage while I'm out with the litter tray in the bathroom which leads off the area with the living room bedroom closed while I'm not their anyway as i say completely new to this so yes better to ask  before is my  first thoughts   does look maybe as though it maybe not possible not were i am living at mo any way  :scared:   but thanks for all the advice all  ;)

« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 00:33:50 AM by j20 »

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 22:30:08 PM »
Hi warm  :welcome: to Purrs :)

It's great you have joined us to ask for the cats best welfare before ya adopt one.  :) :) :) It normally better to have two cats that know each other if your out at work all day, Two gives company and is less work for you and not much more to look after than one. Of course, there would be two annual and initial costs to cover but overall much better for a cat's mental state and behaviour instead of being on their own all day.  Would they be outsiders or insiders? Are you thinking of Kitten or adult cat hun?

Any questions you have we will gladly help all we can.  :)

Have a look at Wizz's web site which will give ya lots of info about caring, behavioural and costs etc. Wizz is a cat behaviourist and a cat rescue. http://wizz-catz.co.uk/behavioural.html

j20

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 22:13:14 PM »
Why would they need be kept in the hallway when your out? To me this doesn't sound suitable if your out allot, i think a cat would end up with behavioural issues from hours in such a small space, probably destroying all carpet's :rofl:

Well the flat is only small theirs more floor space in the hall than living room or bedroom theirs enough space to play about in  can put toys etc in the hall and docent mater if gets damaged not so much any needs redecorating  as it is  have read some posts on here some suggest keeping them in a area as not a prob least while I'm out can give them plenty of attention when I'm home just trying to get some clear advice does seem to be diff opinions all of which I'm sure are valid and much app thanks  !

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 22:12:16 PM »
i  agree with the others ,the cat us going to need more space than just the hallway  :Crazy: :Crazy:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 20:31:57 PM »
cats don't need much space.
if you're out all day, how about a couple of indoor cats - perhaps adopting a couple of fiv+ cats that need to be kept in?

i think one would be enough i would want to keep them them in side the hall way most of the time or at least when no ones homes with not much room just want to make sure have a suitable situation thank you for the advice

I think they would need more than a hallway to keep them happy. As long as they have toys to play with I doubt they would do any damage. Although cats will scratch and you have to expect that of them.............my newly decorated main hall was ruined by Elle and Daisy within a month but cats will be cats

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 19:36:04 PM »
Why would they need be kept in the hallway when your out? To me this doesnt sound suitable if your out alot, i think a cat would end up with behaviourial issues from hours in such a small space, probably destroying all carpets  :rofl:

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 18:43:14 PM »
Hi

I live in a ground floor flat, 2 beds, kitchen, bathroom and front room and a communal garden. She used to be an outside cat, but I now keep her in to a recent accident.

There is plenty of space for me, my Son and our cat. I also make sure that when we are out, she has the front room, hall and kitchen available to her, where she has her toys, scratch post, food etc.

j20

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 18:24:09 PM »
if you're out all day, how about a couple of indoor cats - perhaps adopting a couple of fiv+ cats that need to be kept in?

i think one would be enough i would want to keep them them in side the hall way most of the time or at least when no ones homes with not much room just want to make sure have a suitable situation thank you for the advice

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 17:32:20 PM »

j20

Advice Help Wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 17:29:46 PM »
Hi i have been thinking a bout keeping a cat i say this as Ive told cats own their owners not the other way round  :sneaky: but I'm not sure how much space would be needed i have a small ground floor two room flat  small kitchen and bath do have a shared enclosed back yard with no one home most of the day would this be manageable with keeping a cat ?   any advice much app  thanks  ;)

Link to CatChat