Author Topic: Hyperthyroid medication not working - Vitalta  (Read 3800 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Hyperthyroid medication not working - Vitalda
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 00:21:32 AM »
This is the other and the one with the techy stuff on

Offline Anjie

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Smokey, Blue & Belle
Re: Hyperthyroid medication not working
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 10:12:21 AM »
Thank you so much for your responses, they are very much appreciated. What a lovely bunch you are  :hug:
Also thanks for the techy bit CarolM, I will ask my vet about this next time I see her.

I'm going to try to find some photos of my fur babies today, and will try to upload them for you to "meet" them.

Hugs
Anj
x

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 19:30:42 PM »
I wouldn’t expect T4 levels to actually increase during treatment with Vidalta but although some cats do well on it, it certainly isn’t unknown for others to fail to respond.  When it works its brilliant but there are technical reasons why it doesn’t always do so (see later explanation if you’re interested) and in your situation I would be inclined to ask your vet if you could try Felimazole (no more than 2.5 mg twice daily as a starting dose), instead of persevering with the Vidalta.  You have nothing to lose by doing this because it is an accepted and respected alternative.

Techy bit:

Conventional tablets are designed to break down in the stomach and release all of the active ingredient which is then absorbed into the system.  Vidalta is different in that it is a sustained-release tablet, which is designed to release its active ingredient slowly during its passage though the entire gastro-intestinal tract.  The theory is that this results in more even blood levels of the active ingredient throughout the day, rather than the peaks and troughs that you get with a conventional tablet.  That’s ideal when it works as it’s supposed to do, but unfortunately there is a lot of variation in the way in which bodies, be they animal or human, process sustained-release formulations.  It is quite possible for the tablets to pass through the body without releasing the full dose and, in a worst case scenario, they might not release any of the dose.

Thyroid hormones speed up most body processes, including gastro-intestinal transit time (i.e. the length of time from swallowing something to it  being excreted in the faeces) and in a hyperthyroid cat (or person), the tablets may simply not be in the body long enough for the medication to be released as it should be.  That’s bad enough but what happens next can be even worse.  You haven’t seen an adequate therapeutic response so you increase the dose (possibly more than once) and eventually you reach the point where the T4 levels fall to within the normal range.  You think that’s it, job done, but it isn’t.  When the T4 levels fall the speeded-up body processes, including the GI transit time, also slow down, meaning that the tablets now remain in the system for longer and have the potential to release more of the active ingredient than they were doing previously.  The result can be a catastrophic overdose of medication.

You’ve probably already realised that I am not a fan of Vidalta.  There are other reasons in addition to those I have already mentioned.  The ‘active ingredient’ is carbimazole, which has to be metabolised in the body to methimazole (also known as thiamazole), before it can do its job.  Without getting too technical, metabolic rates are also likely to be affected by thyroid hormones which adds yet another complication when attempting dosage adjustment. 

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 19:22:23 PM »
Max gets his tablets in Pate - 3 blobs 2 with tablets ad Clio gets hers warapped in Bernard Mathews American fried chicken (packet lasts for 2 weeks)  I also use Webbox or Tesco kitsticks for tablets I have a lot of wiley untrusting ferals for worming every 3 months and keep a spreadsheet so I can see who took in what the last time

Both of mine are on Vitalda and have never tried femilzole and Max is very stable Clio we are working on but being feral she has proved just a tad awkward as befits my alpha female and she is more a Daddies girl but he works in Azerbaijan so I am a poor substitute for her Daddy and we had a couple of weeks where she would eat one and spit one out!! :shocked:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 17:59:44 PM »
my Trigger's levels didn't come down much on Felimazole, which wasn't a big problem as I had already decided to go for radioactive iodine treatment, as he was 11 at the time

but it does seem some cats react less to medication than others, so hopefully increasing the Vidalta will do the trick - otherwise I would agree with Tiggy's Mum that you could see if Felimazole works better - it is the animal equivalent of the drug given to humans with overactive thyroids
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Anjie

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 17:48:25 PM »
Thanks ladies.
Yes her kidneys were checked and they were fine. She has had a heart murmer for a few years but that seems to be fine now strangely!
I'm also having to give her 2 antibiotic tablets a day at the moment as she has a few cysts, one of which has burst and won't heal up. I'm also using some healing gel on it. She is going to love adding another tablet to that, think I better get myself some falconry gloves :rofl:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 17:44:49 PM »
If the Vidalta doesn't seem to be working it's worth asking your vet about an alternative - my childhood cat was hyperthyroid and was on Felimazole as I don't think Vidalta existed back then.

If you're struggling financially you may be eligible for PDSA assistance - you can see if you're eligible here and it will show you the nearest vets that take part in the scheme. I believe you are asked to make a donation towards the costs.

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/pdsa-vet-care/eligibility

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 17:30:40 PM »
Just a thought, were her kidney levels checked cos am sure I have read on here that one can affect the others readings?

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 17:21:05 PM »
I have 2 Hyper thyroids here Max has his thyroid removed 18 months ago and is back on 20 mg of Vitalda and Clio feral was diagnosed 12 weeks ago and is now on 20mg a day as well and is due blood tests when she gets her booster this month I think 20mg is easier as the 15mg tablets are big but the 10 are easier to disguise.

Sometimes it take a while to get them stabilised
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 15:29:09 PM »
As my Chelly was taken from me too soon post diagnosis (with something else so please don't get too alarmed) my experience is limited in comparison to some of the other Purrs members. However as a "hypo" myself I would say we are all different and need varying levels of meds and just because your vet hasn't seen this response before doesn't mean it is unusual. Smokey may just need an adjustment.
 :hug:

Offline Anjie

• Kitten
Hyperthyroid medication not working - Vitalta
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 13:26:28 PM »
Hi All,
one of my old girls, Smokey who is 18, is being treated for hyperthyroidism with 15mg of Vidalta, she had another blood test on Monday to see how she was doing. Well the vet has just rang and said her levels have gone up, she said she has never known these tablets not to work, and definitely never known thyroid levels go up whilst being on these tablets. She went through how I was giving them to her, and everything was ok with that. She asked if she could be spitting them out anywhere, which she is not. So tomorrow I have to go pick up some 10mg tablets and have to try her on 2 of those, then in a few weeks she has to have another blood test to see how she is getting on with these. Has anyone else come across this?

I going to have to come up with a way of making some money as I don't work due to disabilities, and she has already cost me over £300 this past 4 weeks! I might end up on the streets at this rate  :rofl:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 00:22:28 AM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Link to CatChat