Author Topic: Bland diet for five days, Cat not eating advice?  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Bland diet for five days, Cat not eating advice?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 01:43:34 AM »
Sorry not well at present so only popping on and I may have missed some of this story.

Whose cat is it and who pays for his food and medical treatment?

How long has he been on thyroid treatment?

How often has he been sick?

If its your cat, your partners mother should not interfere without your permission.

If he is your cat and is taking his meds without a problem now then I would gradually put him back on the food he likes.

Its a very good idea to speak to the vet to find out exectly what was the problem and what the vet said.

We never do what the vets says no matter what and if he was so stressed going to the vets without someone there who knows and cares about him to explain to the vet he will not have the full story and needs to have asap.

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Licky, Fudge, Sugar, Candy (RIP Miss C)
Bland diet for five days, Cat not eating advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 21:41:54 PM »
So Licky was sick straight away after giving him his thyroid tablet last since Weds, but then went to eat his normal cat food and it'd been like that for a few days, So i'd wait til a bit later to give it him the tablet. We had an appointment at the vets on friday so it was only a day between this happening and the vets, He seemed happy and hydrated. Anyways my partners mum took him the vets and basically because she is impatient she just took him the vets herself because she couldnt wait 5mins for me to get home from work, but thats another story. Licky was sick all over himself, poo'd in the carrier at the vets (i blame the woman's driving, she impatient and drives fast over bumps and without someone sitting next to him he will get stressed) i mentioned what had happened with Licky to her. I basically come home and get told that the vet has said Licky is on a bland diet and i must work with the vets no matter what. Basically i was told chicken and fish only and he is ok to have his dry nibbles still. Anyways day 2 now and he has not touched any of the chicken or fish. He is just eating the dry food little but often. He has not been sick since in the carrier. I am going to phone the vets tomorrow to explain why 5 days as i feel that is a long time. He is at the bowl begging for food but smells the chicken and just walks off. To make matters worse my partners mother just gave Licky ham. Now i am thinking what is the point in all this. Licky is not impressed or happy. I am not happy with this but if its helping him then great but now the people who told me i had to stick to what the vets said (basically got told off, well that tone) gave him ham. I feel like just opening a sachet of his favourite food and mixing a bit in to give this chicken some taste. Lets face it, i couldnt eat a bland diet for 5 days even if i felt unwell. Any advice or ideas to make this bland diet more interesting without breaking this stupid rule??? I am also worried with him eating more dry food as i know it no good for cats due to UTI's and it can bloat his stomach.   

Link to CatChat