Author Topic: female cat wont let us touch her back...  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: female cat wont let us touch her back...
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 17:36:22 PM »
Think this is the best idea

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Licky, Fudge, Sugar, Candy (RIP Miss C)
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 17:32:52 PM »
Candy foams at the mouth and stresses when in a cat carrier, so when i am at the vets with Licky in the week i will bring it up with them and see what they suggest or think. If they want to see her i will ask them if they could maybe suggest or give us anything for her to make it more comfortable for her or maybe a plan for rushing her to the vets room as soon as we get there.

But i do plan on getting her checked up on, she is due a elderly check up.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 17:25:34 PM »
If it was my cat i'd take her to the vets. It could be something like arthritis or even an injury. I've found some cats do tend to get more grouchy as they get older like people. I'd take her just to put your mind at rest, it would be awful if she was in pain. 

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 16:34:02 PM »
Yeah Candy has changed into this behaviour. We moved house a year ago and i think it was about 3 months after we moved (about a year ago) She has also been seen chasing the large dogs that have walks down our road last summer and she was rammed into the front door by one but she was walking and jumping fine afterwards, and i able to move and touch her legs and she was not fussed. Candy has a lot of girl-power. She use to fight with our granny cat katie before she died and sometimes went for Licky (but he is a big cat and wins without much effort) Vet said that this was normal cat family behaviour (apart from the dogs)
I am just worried that it might be pain, I dont want her to be in pain.
This is like her lower back (near tail) and then top of her back legs. i am going to try and narrow it down in the hope it could just be one place. i am also thinking about its just her age.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 16:05:01 PM »
This behavior you are describing has it changed to be like this and if so when?

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
female cat wont let us touch her back...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 15:29:37 PM »
My female cat wont let any of us touch her back apart from Jaz ( my sister) who she sleeps with (but even that has stopped of late) Candy is 14years old and loves being outdoors. She is neutered when she was young. Her food has not changed and she is walking and jumping as normal. If she is laying down then she will let you stroke her head, ears, chin and even tummy but if you move too close to her tail or lower back then she growls, push your hand away or nib you. You can not pick her up for too long otherwise she growls and hisses the house down til you do but when she was younger she loved it. She is a lovely cat otherwise. Her brother was recently diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism and has two tablets once a day, we hide the tablets in a treat stick but i've been giving her a stick as well with him. He is my cat and we are very close and Candy has always been my partners close friend until she went to be with Jaz. At first i thought that maybe Candy was attention seeking because the family is giving Licky more attention lately due to his condition so i have made extra time just for Candy and i have sent my partner to spend time with her also. She seem to purr louder when with him.
i have also noticed that she seems to meow loud if the house is quiet for a long period of time - its like a lonely meow or a troubled meow as countless times ive gone running to her, thinking that she has got caught on the scratching post by her claw or something.

I am taking Licky the vet next friday so i will ask about Candy (she foams at the mouth when in a cage so i don't want to stress her out for no reason at present)

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas or suggestions to try with Candy.

Link to CatChat