Author Topic: Cat Squabbling - help!  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Cat Squabbling - help!
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 13:29:54 PM »
Thats really wonderful  ;D ;D

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Cat Squabbling - help!
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 13:28:28 PM »
I just came on to update... And saw I'd missed a post... Sorry!

Anyway the squabbling continues although some days we are now squabble free which I thank Feliway for.

I think Rio just doesn't realise his size and intimidates Nina. However today in home as got minor op so off work and ........ Nina just plonked down to Rio for a sleep an hour ago! Curled up next to each other snoozing!!!! GOSH!!!

Then Rio has just woke up and is grooming nina and for once she is tolerating it... I'm amazed! It's taken seven months but this is amazing!!
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Cat Squabbling - help!
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 13:25:28 PM »
How is this situation now? I am experiencing something similar with my two new kitties. The vet at the rescue said it will hopefully improve when I let them outside, but in the meantime I am using laser pointer and other toys as diversion when ww3 breaks out. I have also ordered Feliway refills which worked to relax Dillon when his brother went to the Bridge and he was very stressed. I do wonder how my poor Dottie copes when I am at work and Arthur is hounding her.  Although only about 4 months age difference he is literally twice her size, and the games have turned more serious. Have made sure Dottie has places to hide that Arthur cannot get into.

Hope your situation has calmed down x

Sorry Liz just saw your post just now when I came into update!!! How are your two now?

Mine are still squabbling but it can vary, some days all calm and some days Nina is off hiding from him! I bought a Feliway and think it worked a bit. Just had some Bachs remedy arrive which is going in their water.

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Arthur and Dottie Dillon (Feb 1998 - 18/12/12 RIP),Tom (RIP 12/11/12), Digby (Feb 1998-17/11/10 RIP)
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 11:25:45 AM »
How is this situation now? I am experiencing something similar with my two new kitties. The vet at the rescue said it will hopefully improve when I let them outside, but in the meantime I am using laser pointer and other toys as diversion when ww3 breaks out. I have also ordered Feliway refills which worked to relax Dillon when his brother went to the Bridge and he was very stressed. I do wonder how my poor Dottie copes when I am at work and Arthur is hounding her.  Although only about 4 months age difference he is literally twice her size, and the games have turned more serious. Have made sure Dottie has places to hide that Arthur cannot get into.

Hope your situation has calmed down x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 14:33:27 PM »
Try giving him a lot of attention but if the fighting progresses to hisses and growling and you dont feel able to pick one up and move them, I think you have no choice.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Cat Squabbling - help!
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 11:58:27 AM »
Now you are back maybe Rio isnt scared any more and is taking this out on Nina.

If you have insurance there is usually cover for a cat behaviorist referred from the vet.

Is it possible to seperate the two of them for a couple of days and spend some quality time with Nina?

I have a small one bedroom
Flat so the only solution would be to put him in the bedroom! Just now they are ok, he is strutting about the house making a lot of noise and she is sleeping in the hal cat bed in front of the radiator.

Should I try the water pistol option?

Thing about Rio is he rarely sleeps... He is pretty unusual for a cat! He is still young but always on the move!

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 11:52:13 AM »
Now you are back maybe Rio isnt scared any more and is taking this out on Nina.

If you have insurance there is usually cover for a cat behaviorist referred from the vet.

Is it possible to seperate the two of them for a couple of days and spend some quality time with Nina?

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Cat Squabbling - help!
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 11:22:27 AM »
Sounds like something has happened while you were away.

Where were they looked after?

They were looked after in my house. My neighbours and brother were cat sitting them and they had people in for a couple of hours every day.

The first few days Rio was coming out but after that no one saw him. That's not too unusual as he tends to hide under the bed with visitors but normally his nose gets the better of him and he comes out. My friend was in for a whole afternoon and he didn't come out.

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
Sounds like something has happened while you were away.

Where were they looked after?

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Cat Squabbling - help!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 10:42:06 AM »
Ok it's getting awful! All night we have went between the cats being on my bed to squabbling!

Right now I'm lying in bed reading a book and Rio keeps chasing nina under the bed and she is constantly growling and hissing at him! This only happened before if she had food but she doesn't have anything he would want... I'm really at a loss!

I'm so worried Nina is unhappy and she is the most chilled and loving cat and I don't know what to do!

I know I'm just back so maybe it will settle down but I'm getting quite distressed about it!

Maybe I should try the water pistol trick?

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Cat Squabbling - help!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 23:17:17 PM »
There is a cat house which nina fits in but Rio doesn't.... Her tail sticks out but it's def her safe place!

I am a bit worried about the hissing! Ill just keep an eye on things.

Nina is happy to take treats in front of him and to be honest my flat is so small it's impossible for treats to come out and the other cat not hear!

I've tired Rio out tonight with the laser pen lol

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 23:00:50 PM »
My two are siblings, so don't have experience of introducing another cat, but I have never seen them hiss at each other. The only advice I can give is make sure they have enough space so Nina has somewhere to go if things get too much?

But you are right, there will always be a 'top cat' and maybe they are just determining who it is.

Even tho mine are brother and sister, I still give them separate treats as Denzel won't eat them in front of Dexter who is the Boss!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Cat Squabbling - help!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 19:52:23 PM »
Thanks ladies,

Yeah the fighting is def up the ante from before but Helen - great Memory - cos it's only been bad the last week and I just got back!

When I was away Rio hid away from
Everyone and no one saw him where as nina was her usual flirty self. I think Rio missed me a lot as he has been sleeping draped on my all week which is most unlike him!

He is def tormenting Nina and is say 70% of the time she plays too but there is def a 30% where she is not liking it and hissing which is a new development.

However right after it tonight she is sleeping in the bed in the hall where he could get her is he wanted. She growls at him with food and dominates with treats but physically he seems to dominate in fights.

Maybe me being away has upset the apple cart and it might settle down then!

Thanks for the advice and Gill sounds like Misa loves the dramatics! Nina does that sometimes and then as soon as Rjo stops, she is chasing him!

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 19:43:53 PM »
I think its more playing than real fighting and they sound like Lupin and Misa.

Lupin usually instegates the trouble and Misa whimpers and crys pathetically and slinks?, can 7.5 kgs of fur slink............away to hide.

Then when Lupin bounces by Misa sticks out a paw and starts it off all over again....sigh

Lately they both have been going at it hammer and tongs and have to  pick up Lupin and make them stop.

Maybe its the weather!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 19:23:09 PM »
I think from how you described their 'fights' before it sounded more like playfighting than a serious fight but sounds like Rio has upped the ante lately if Nina is hiding away from him and hissing a bit? Has it coincided with your holiday? If it has I wonder if the boredom/missing you has played a part in Rio getting a bit too boisterous for Nina? If you haven't been yet then it obviously can't be that!

I think there's always going to be a dominant cat in any partnership and sounds like that is Rio in your house. In mine Riley nearly always starts the chases/playfights but I think Lu enjoys a good rough and tumble too, it's just that maybe 5% of the time he would rather have a snooze than have to playfight, maybe Nina is the same and when she gets angry is the time she can't be bothered to play rather than Rio being rougher than normal?

If you're home when the 'over the top' playfights are happening you could try squirting Rio with a water pistol to distract him - mind you be careful you don't get poor Nina though or she'd feel really picked on!

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
Cat Squabbling - help!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 18:12:56 PM »
Hi fellow cat lovers,

As some of you may recall we had a new cat join us in September... Rio the rather huge Maine Coon! Rio was very timid and spent the first few weeks under the bed but he is all settled now!

I have asked a few times on here what level of squabbling is ok. Previously I had 2 elderly gents plus Nina. They generally all got on and Nina slept beside Edgar all the time.

Rio and Nina you fight A LOT! He is 2 she is 3 so I know this is to be expected! However I do think sometimes he takes it too far and it's been getting worse! Twice this week they have been fighting to the point she hides in the cat house and is hissing at him! She then growls at him but he doesn't seem to take it in!

After an episode she sometimes hides under the bed. Equally though she will sleep in one of the cat beds and not bother about him. They eat next to each other ok, both sleep on my bed at night and generally are ok but there is def 30 mins every day where he torments her to the point I worry!

Surely the hissing is not a good sign? I really worry that she is not happy :-(

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Link to CatChat