Author Topic: First Stray today  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
Re: First Stray today
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 13:55:47 PM »
There's something really endearing about him isn't there?

I'll tell you what, if we were on the hunt at the moment I'd be prepared to beat off any rivals with my handbag  :evillaugh:

Offline Scooby

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Hugo / Gilbert
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2013, 19:24:41 PM »
Stanley is doing really well.
He's loving the shelter and all the volunteers - so much so, he's now out of the cat bay and has the run of the place.   He particularly likes lying on the appointment book when people are busy with it!   ;D
He's turning into the snugglebum I thought he was, who just wants to be loved, cuddled and is a real human fan - just wants to be on your knee.   :Luv2:
He's being advertised on the cat shelter website now.  Fingers crossed for Stanley everyone!  Whoever he picks will be very lucky. 

Offline Scooby

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 19:23:16 PM »
He is a lovely boy isnt he  :Luv2:

Farm cat not an option - firstly our yard owner is absolutely terrified of cats.   :Crazy:   Poor soul practically had a coronary when he broke into her utility room.  They also have big bull mastiff guard dogs on the property....  so not practical.  Also, this little man was most certainly a house cat at some point.  He is a cuddle monster and definitely likes home comforts.   I'll keep you posted with new home news as soon as anything happens. 

On the unwanted cat subject, I was online today and although I knew there was a problem, I was astounded at the amount of cats people are trying to sell or give away due to "change in working commitments" or "going on holiday and no-one to look after my cat" Some ridiculous reasons that are easily solveable.  People are absolutely incredible.   >:(

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 18:33:44 PM »
Well done Scooby !  :cuddle:

He's sooo cute too.  :Luv2:

Once he's settled, I wonder if he would be happy to be a farm cat at the stables where you could all look after him together?  It would be nice for him to be out of that cage and living somewhere he's already familiar with.

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 15:15:01 PM »
Me neither!

I'd hoover him up like a shot, dear little soul. He's most endearing isn't he?  :Luv:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 19:55:37 PM »
 :catlove: Stanley is gorgeous, so pleased he is settling in at the rescue but doubt he will be there long.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 16:40:50 PM »
Wonder what is going through his little head... 'oh no I've been captured, help! oh actually wait they're feeding me every day - twice! And it's nice and warm, cancel the last, I'll be OK here! ;D'

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 08:27:18 AM »
he looks so much better already!!

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 04:07:39 AM »
Aww he is lovely :Luv:
Welldone for helping him :hug:

Offline Scooby

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 23:53:03 PM »
The general opinion is that he's about 1ish.
Today was the first day he's not gobbled up his food in one mouthful, thinking that was the last meal he was ever having.....   :scared:
He's now realised that food will be coming again later and nobody is going to be taking it off him!   :)
He's settled in, started cleaning himself and the growling and hissing has all stopped.  A much happier boy  :Luv2:

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 20:27:58 PM »
He's lovely,i wonder how old he is?maybe you will never know,but it doesn't matter.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 16:54:21 PM »
What a lovely boy  :Luv: Love the name too, Stanley is very geek-chic  :naughty: He looks a bit grubby bless him, I bet he'll be sparkly white in a few weeks now he has somewhere clean, warm and dry to sleep and can devote his energy to grooming himself instead of trying to find food and somewhere safe to rest :)

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 14:36:53 PM »
What a handsome boy. Well done for helping him. I'm sure he will have a new home in no time  :Luv:

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 14:34:20 PM »
What a pretty boy he is  :Luv:

Stanley is a lovey name.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 13:06:45 PM »
I'm sure he is happier there its freezing and he is warm and fed

Offline Scooby

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 13:04:49 PM »
I know - but they get to come out and play in the cattery during the day. Hopefully he will find a home soon. He's the cuddliest cat, considering his ordeal, so I'm sure he will endear himself to someone. Plus hes safer, warmer and has a full tummy now. Fingers crossed for a home soon!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 12:57:10 PM »
Poor little man, its so sad to see them locked away in a cage

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 12:55:47 PM »
oh he is lovely so glad you managed to help him

Offline Scooby

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 12:51:06 PM »
Here's a better photo of the newly named 'Stanley'   :Luv:

Offline Scooby

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 18:49:02 PM »
Popped in to visit him tonight.   :Luv:   He's settled in to his 'cat bay' and enjoying his square meals, warmth and cosy bed.  He LOVES cuddles and people, but not too fond of other kitties  >:( >:( >:(    He will be looking for a new home soon I think.
It's had quite a profound effect on me  :(   Always had rescue cats, but never been at the actual 'rescue' end....  Couldnt stop thinking about him last night.  so I visited him today and am going to volunteer at the cat shelter.   ;D

Here's a photo of the boy - not a good quality one, sorry!  Will try and get a better one of him if he'll stand still long enough!

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 07:00:46 AM »
 :hug:  He is bound to get a new home, kind of you to do so much for him.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 00:00:43 AM »
Well done and hope he gets a great home  ;D ;D

Offline Scooby

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 23:12:07 PM »

I'm popping over tomorrow night with some things the girls at the stables have collected for the shelter - kitchen roll, food, litter etc.  Just a little thanks for helping the wee man.  :Luv:
I'm definitely keeping track of his progress - quite attached to him already after sharing that experience with him - that might sound daft....  :innocent:
Came home and looked at my two  :Luv2:  Ruined rotten.... rule the house and then theres the amount of money I've shelled out for Hugo and his heart issue, (no insurance  :doh:).  My two were rescue cats themselves but have definitely taken full advantage of our good nature since  :rofl:   
Hope that little white and black chap lands on his paws too! 

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 23:02:36 PM »
:1st place: on your first successful mission! If only they could all be helped so quickly, this one was a very lucky boy to have you on the case  :hug: What a shame he wasn't chipped :shy: Will your friend keep you updated on his progress?

Offline Scooby

• Adult Cat
First Stray today
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 22:43:00 PM »
What a lovely end to the day  :)
Theres been a little white cat with black markings hanging around near the stables where I keep my horse.  It was obviously a stray and keeping  his distance, but has been getting grubbier and grubbier and skinnier in front of my eyes.  Tried to get near it but to no avail over the past few weeks.
Today I heard the yard owner shout for me and there was the little cat, hissing away in her utility room.  :scared:  He was really thin, dirty and starving.  Initially very afraid and nervous,  but luckily he had obviously been well handled at some point and was keen to be stroked and have his chin rubbed when he realised we were trying to help. 
I popped him in my lock up byre with some food and rushed home for a cat carrier.  When I came back he had panicked and scrambled up near the roof.   :scared:  but some dreamies and his desperate hunger enticed him down.  Such a lovely boy.  What a shame.  :(  He had a tatty collar on and on closer inspection was an entire tom - surprise, surprise....  I took him straight to Willows Cat Shelter run by a friend of mine and within ten minutes of being in Maria's kitchen he had been checked for a microchip, been wormed, de-flead and was booked in for a neuter.  I dropped him off at the vets on my way home.  She will be collecting the little chap tomorrow morning and his path to health and a forever home begins.  He deserves it.   :Luv:
Wish I could take him myself but couldn't put my little cardiac cat under any unecessary stress.   SO grateful Maria is a friend of mine and does such fantastic work.  First stray I've come across myself and I think I was lucky as he was keen to be rescued!

Link to CatChat