Author Topic: Poor Geoffrey has a tooth root abscess  (Read 3449 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Poor Geoffrey has a tooth root abscess
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 19:50:44 PM »
Poor Geoffrey and do hope they can sort this out and do this time, sending loads of good vibes  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 17:54:56 PM »
Sighs! Geoffrey has been on abx since his tooth came out but there's a persistent infection in there which just won't clear up.  My vet had a look today and she thinks there is either something stuck up the main hole where his canine was extracted or a bit of necrotic tissue which is becoming a source of infection, so the poor chap has to go back in on Wednesday for another GA for them to have a proper look and try and sort it out.  Nothing's ever simple, is it!

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 21:07:17 PM »
Yep, we are back to normal harmony in the house today  :wow:  Hubby has been working at home today, he says they've been bugging him all day  :rofl:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 16:48:01 PM »
Glad everything went well   ;D Hope Milly has stopped with the hissing by now  :shy:

Offline PersianCatLover

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Gizmo the Persian, Bubbles and Ali the salukis, all rescues!
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 22:42:50 PM »
Oh so glad to hear the Geoffrey is home and doing okay..  Sounds like his mouth was just brewing for trouble.  I know since what I went through with Widget I will watch my cats mouths much more closely than I have in the past.  With dogs, well I'm a nut for tooth cleaning and have my own tools and also give them those special toothy-peg chewies that are supposed to cut down on dental plaque.

I remember when my old Champion, Navarre (Saluki) got dragged to a show and entered in the veteran's class, okay so I admit, I was proud of the old fella...and he won Best of Breed and went on to win the Hound Group at 11 and 1/2 years of age!  The judges kept saying, "I can't believe it, he has all his teeth!"  Now these guys were all breed judges and well into their 60s at the time and had looked in a lot of doggy mouths, so they must have seen some horror stories over the years to be so impressed that Navarre had all his teeth!

Now I give the fur faced Persian girls one of the Whiskers Dental treats..one in the morning after eating and once in the evening.  I don't want any more gigantic vet bills, abscesses OR pain for my girls in the future.  Okay, now every body go check their cat's teeth and write to me in the morning to tell me how many bites and scratches you have received!!! :Luv2:
All it takes for evil to succeed in the world is for one good man or woman to do nothing!  Don't be that one person, stand up and be counted even if you have to take chances and put yourself on the line.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 19:17:03 PM »
So pleased he is Ok and am sure that Milly will come round and you could try rubbing a damp towel over her and then on Geoffrey  ;D ;D

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 18:56:04 PM »
Indeed - when Geoffrey goes off his food, something is very very wrong!

Milly has hissed at him since he came home, he obviously smells funny and it's made her very cross, but she's a complete wuss so the most she's come up with by way of protest is a quick couple of hisses and then she's gone and hidden behind the sofa! 

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 18:44:28 PM »
so glad to hear he is ok, sounds like a really nasty infection

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 18:43:27 PM »
Thanks for asking and for the tips!

Geoffrey is home and fine, he has eaten half a sachet of royal canin sensitive - he'd have eaten the whole sachet if I'd let him, but a little at a time for now I reckon! 

Vet showed me the x-ray, there was an enormous cavity at the root, virtually the entire root had crumbled away...but it was still very sealed around the gum which is why all the infection had pushed up and out around his nose  :sick:  It must have been brewing sub-clinically for some time.   He also had a couple of other extractions while he was there, one of the teeth further back had some kind of erosion on the side of it (I forget the technical term, but she said the gum grows over it and it gets hyper sensitive), and when they extracted that one, the one behind it fell out too!

Hopefully he'll be a lot happier with his painful teeth all sorted out - it clearly feels weird for him without one of his canines, I guess that will take a bit of getting used to. 

Offline PersianCatLover

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 17:15:37 PM »
 :wow:
Any news on Geoffrey yet?  Am sending lots of healing your way.

Oh, in case his mouth is sore, which of course it will be, may I suggest using  some Nutri-plu gel...it's a " dietetic complementary feed for cats and dogs
nutritional restoration and convalescence. " It's a gel that you put on your finger and most if not all cats will lick it right off as it smells and tastes lovely (no I haven't tried it, but Bubbles, Ali, Gizmo and Widget told me so.

I have used it over the years for poorly feeling critters and it is wonderful.  Even though they aren't eating, you know that they are getting the vit and mins they need to keep going and recover. Don't leave the tube unguarded though, as they will pack it off and eat it all in one go, which I am sure wouldn't be all that good for them.  It's available from most of the on-line vet places and when I ordered it, I got free delivery and it came the very next day.

It sure helped when Widget had all those problems!  Come on now tell us how your boy is??

Love ya
da Suz
All it takes for evil to succeed in the world is for one good man or woman to do nothing!  Don't be that one person, stand up and be counted even if you have to take chances and put yourself on the line.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 12:40:59 PM »
Thanks  ;D

Haven't heard anything yet - they do dentals last on the surgery list, but they would have at least done the pre-op bloods by now I'm sure, so hopefully no news is good news at the moment!

My poor little boy, so miffed at having no breakfast, then even more miffed at being wheeled off to the vets for the day!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 23:57:05 PM »
Hope all goes well  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 22:22:16 PM »
:crossed: for a quick and easy op tomorrow, let us know how he gets on and please adminsiter some healing :care: to him

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 22:04:53 PM »
Awwww, so cute!

Geoffrey is going in to have the offending tooth removed tomorrow, he won't be the slightest bit impressed at the lack of breakfast in the morning!  He has been quite perky all week and the swelling has gone down so getting the abx on fairly quickly seem to have helped - but I can still feel a bump there and he still objects to it being touched.  Fingers crossed for a nice smooth procedure tomorrow!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 19:38:54 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl:

Offline PersianCatLover

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 19:35:16 PM »
Thanks Gil!  My friend who is a very GOOD responsible persian cat breeder (all DNA checked for all nasties, and only breeds one ever three or four years) tells me that this is a nasty picture...that if I was a nice cat person I wouldn't be showing all the girls girly bits to strangers lolol!
Da Suz :naughty:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 00:37:51 AM »
What a stunning picture  :wow: :wow:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 23:05:29 PM »
Yes abscesses are nasty .
Fifi had one on her face , took her to the vet and booked her in next day for tooth out, said abscess would burst within 24 hours, it burst 10 mins after getting home !
That was a few years back , she is fine now . Hope Geoffrey is ok soon too.

Love the pics of the two together  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline PersianCatLover

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 22:11:39 PM »
Poor Geoffrey! :scared:

We just went through a tooth problem with our new girl Widget, our blue cream Persian girl.  Two teeth were found to be shattered when she was examined under anesthetic for her spay.  They were pulled and she developed one whale of an abscess...it made one eye look tilted, the side of her face was swollen and then it moved down to include her throat...at one point it was about the size of half an avacado!  She had antibiotics from day one and continued on them for three weeks with frequent vet visits.  It finally burst right in front of me (she was sitting behind me on the back of the couch and began to scratch so I turned around to stop her).

Remember if Geoffrey's abscess burst, that the gunk inside works almost like acid on the hair below the abscess so it is a must to keep at it...keep it scrupulously clean from the first moment or the hair will just slough off and who wants a partially bald cat...even if it is on the neck or face and not like some old Englishman who's age has crept up on him!?!

I wish him all the luck, but don't put it off, MAKE your vet take some action (though a course of antibiotics pre extraction is really a good idea as it reduces the bacterial load in the mouth) .  I guess I have my vet  trained (I'm an American and you know how pushy Americans seem to Brits???)as he knows better then to put me off. Mine even makes housecalls and on weekends he or one of the other vets at the practice actually ANSWER the PHONE THEMSELVES and talk to you like you were a real person  :wow:and give you great advice for free even if it isn't a grave emergency.  God help us if he ever moves.  I would throw myself off a bridge, honest!!! :Crazy:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 12:39:12 PM »
ouch that sounds nasty, hope he is ok

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 12:10:40 PM »
Do hope this can be sorted quick and remember my Kocka having a terrible swollen face and it being to painful to eat.

You are very lucky to have a vet with appointments every day, mine is 24/7 but have to use their emergency vets out of hours.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 21:57:29 PM »
Ouch! Sounds painful  :doh: If that happened to a human we'd be whinging and whining on day one whereas for all we know Geoffrey has been soldiering on for a while now as cats hide pain from us so well  :hug:

Hope the antibiotics do the trick and that he doesn't have to have an extraction :care:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
Poor Geoffrey has a tooth root abscess
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 21:11:44 PM »
And boy am I glad my vet is open 7 days a week! He was a bit quiet yesterday, but we had been on a mad spring clean so thought he was a bit stressed by the sudden emergence of the vacuum!  This morning he wouldn't eat breakfast, not even applaws chicken, so I got an appt for late morning, fortunately my usual vet was on rota this weekend.  I thought he was pulling a face due to discomfort but on closer inspection one side of his nose is swollen. 

Vet thinks it looks like a tooth root abscess from his canine so he has pain relief and abx and has to go back in a few days for an x-ray and probably removal. He's certainly feeling happier this evening, it must be more comfy now he is being treated. It's times like this I am so glad my vet is open for normal appointments every day!

Link to CatChat