Author Topic: What to Feed My 2 Month Old Kittens?  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
Re: What to Feed My 2 Month Old Kittens?
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 19:34:17 PM »
I had two kittens who were together until one died at thirteen. There was years of happiness, fun, times when they washed each other or had little battles all over the house. They used to leapfrog over the toy yorkie or push him out of his basket, so they could get in. They had tinned cat food all their time here.  This one Billy is on Gourmet pearle which is expensive but he has been a more fussy eater since his kitten days. He does like dreamies etc too. Every cat is individual though. They soon have you trained up to look after them. Good luck anyway.  :welcome: :welcome:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 17:46:25 PM »
We feed our kittens about 6 times a day at that age and use wet and dry food leaving the biscuits down for grazing on aas the wet food is walloped.

The Boris who is my youngest and only survivor from a litter of 6 stillgets his wet food about 6 times a day but now he eats the whole tin of Applaws in one hit :shocked:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Hightime

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 17:41:21 PM »
Thank you all for your speedy replies, Dawn, Gill and Alcatraz, thank you for the welcome too!

Much appreciated advice for a novice like me, I have a much clearer idea now of how to go about this now. The tip about giving them different brands of wet food so they don't get fixed on just one was a good insight.

I'll try to get some photos up if I can ...

Again, thank you all and it's lovely to be part of such a helpful forum.

Offline Alcatraz

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Butch and Sundance
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 17:12:41 PM »
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the kittens!  Any photos you can share with us?

Feed them little amounts and often.  They have little bellies and will be growing...think of them as you would a baby.

We fed our two a quarter of a wet pouch each, four times a day...it's hard work but worth it.  We also left them a bowl of dry nibbles in case they were still hungry.  Just make sure they have a source of fresh water to drink.

You've probably heard cats can get really fussy about food for no reason...we started by feeding ours four different brands of kitten food so they didn't get a taste for just one.  Now they'll eat anything!

Don't let people worry you about brand.  There are loads of opinions on what's best for kitty with commercial brands being low in protein.  Remember to balance convenience, health benefits, price, availability and your cat's taste.  As long as the cats are happy and you are able to keep feeding them, that's the main thing!

You can also feed them a raw meat diet (that's what our boys eat now).  That will give them the nutrients and water content but none of the extra stuff in commercial food used to "bulk up" the food.  It can be a bit complicated though so feel free to message me if you want advice or tips.

Whatever you choose to feed, good luck, and enjoy your new little fur-balls.

Traz

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 17:05:16 PM »
I would go for a wet kitten food and feed little meals 3 times a day. Leave a small amount of biscuits out for them to graze on.

If they can cope with bigger meals then do that  ;D

They are growing rapidly at this age

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 17:01:46 PM »
personally I feed wet and dry, everyone has an opinion this so you will get lots of different ones but as cats don't tend to drink enough I think wet food is important, my four are all mature cats and have two pouches of wet each per day with a bowl of dry left down for grazing

Offline Hightime

• Kitten
What to Feed My 2 Month Old Kittens?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 16:56:51 PM »
Hello folks!

My first post here so hello to all!

I just bought some kittens, two male brothers, both 2 months old and as cute as can be!

My question is regarding feeding them, am I supposed to leave dry food out for them all day so they can eat whenever they like or am I supposed to limit their intake?  They eat it without a problem and like it a lot so that's not an issue.

Also, is it OK to leave them just on the dry food or am I supposed to give them some wet food like Whiskas etc. along with that?  And is this wet food to be given to them daily too or on alternate days or after every three, four, five days etc?

Sorry for the basic questions and thank you in advance to all who reply!

Link to CatChat