Author Topic: male cat howling  (Read 2251 times)

Offline zevxev

• Adult Cat
Re: male cat howling
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 11:44:34 AM »
Hi my male cat is roughly 6 we got him from a rescue centre as we did with our older female cat. Who is roughly 9. He's just a domestic cat no breed. He's a gorgeous an beautiful cat.  He has a little male friend who he plays with. Its so funny to watch him. So he isn't ill. I'm beginning to think its just attention. And he is quite bright. He does recognise his name. My other cat doesn't.
Zev

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 11:03:27 AM »
Zev, have I missed his age?

If he's an older cat, howling and constantly being hungry can be a couple of things....dementia and hyperthyroidism spring to my mind immediately. One is manageable by medication usually, the other is unfortunately part of  the aging process and a lot more difficult to deal with.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Beth82

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Honey & Aurora
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 04:28:23 AM »
What breed is he?

Leave out a bowl of kibble, so he can come & go as he likes. If you don't have a litter tray, consider getting him one.

Bring vocal is a sign on intelligence in a cat. Try talking to him. Sounds silly but it can be as simple as that. Both my moggie and Bengal are vocal, esp when they are bored, want a cuddle, one is hiding.

Do you take him for goals annual check up and jabs?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Offline zevxev

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 15:41:58 PM »
Don't think its his hearing because he's the only cat I know that turns round when u speak his name .
Zev

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 15:38:49 PM »
I think you need to get him checked by a vet to rule out any medical stuff.

Also try clapping your hands behind him and see if he reacts.

Offline zevxev

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 15:06:34 PM »
He's always liked going out and always comes home at night. Recently he can ask to go out and 5 minutes later ask to fine back in. Or he'll ask for food, we'll put cat meat down for him and he'll moan cause he wanted biscuits. And then he'll only eat a mouthful and moan to go out. Its like he's restless and doesn't know what to do with himself. He's a lovely cat but doesn't usually like to much fussing . If you fuss him too much he runs off. So it can't just be attention seeking. Forgot to mention we have a older female cat. She has never liked him. She snarled at him if he gets too close and he torments her .  The strange thing is another cat was picking on him so our female cat ran over and chased other cat off.  When we first got him we couldn't cuddle or make fuss if him he hated it. Its taken us couple years to gain his confidence and now he loves a bit of fuss. When we take him to the vets for his next lot of injections i will mention it to him .
Zev

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 14:49:06 PM »
Has he always wanted to go in and out a lot, though?

My parents cat got very loud as she got old because she was loosing her hearing so might be worth checking that. Also apparently loud meowing can be a sign of hyperthyroid disease.

Here's an article which you might find interesting about reasons a cat might starting to excessively vocalise. http://www.cat-world.com.au/excessive-vocalisation-in-cats

Offline zevxev

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 14:25:56 PM »
He's always been vocal but he's gradually got louder. No changes that I can think off
Zev

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 14:17:00 PM »
Is this a change in behaviour or has he always done it? Has anything in your house changed recently that could be upsetting him. Is he receiving less attention because you are out more etc.

Offline zevxev

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 13:52:46 PM »
Yeah he's been neuterrd. He's just constantly howling he must be driving neighbours crazy too.
Zev

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
Has he been neutered?
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 12:41:30 PM »
I assume he doesnt have access to a cat flap?

He is just telling you what he wants and maybe also asking for some attention?

Offline zevxev

• Adult Cat
male cat howling
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 11:02:58 AM »
Hi all.
   I'm hoping you can help me to understand my 6 yr old male cat. He's a lovely playful cat but he howls and crys to to come in and out of the house. He cry to be fed he cry for no apparent reason he's driving us all crazy. He can only be in the house for 5 minutes then he'll cry to go out again. He seems to be a happy cat eats well drinks well and in no apparent pain. Please help before we all go mad .
Thanks
Zev

Link to CatChat